It is currently April 28th, 2024, 2:03 pm

New T Class proposal

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 PostPosted: November 2nd, 2013, 10:54 am   
Team Member

So let's summerize the opinions so far.
- Todd feels that there are too many variables in the engines to use a tool that measures cylinder volume with the motor at TDC. He feels the 160 compression rule is fine and each engine reqardless of its cylinder volume is OK provided it is 160 or under. He feels racers who over modify their motor will gain little or no performance gain anyway.
- Kevin wants to eliminate the 160 rule.
-Jake and Dave want to use the gauge and a compression test. They also want to use stock heads. This will keep the cylinder volume consistent and there can be a gauge for each model of motor. They also agree with Todd that there are too many variables in the motors
-Doc wants to leave 160 rule as is, but have a standard set test procedure and a certified compression gauge.

Did I get your opinions correct?

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: November 2nd, 2013, 11:17 am   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Just be clear Don I'm fine with the rules as they are...I just proposed a simpler and fairer solution using the existing rules..

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2013, 11:42 am   
Team Member

I forgot to add that most T racers agree that there is not enough time in the current race day schedule to add another T class. We would have to group the X class into our current T850 heats.

Here is something else to think about.
Look at your current outfit
- how many parts on your motor are custom to your motor alone?
- can another T racer call and get exactly the same part or would they need to get it from you or make their own?
- are your parts stock and altered stock parts only?
-do you care what mods other T racers are running?
- do you honestly think your 100% legal?

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2013, 12:03 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

The X class has only come about to get rid of the whining over compression...which is basically the only motor rule we have (other than no one off custom parts). if we can all agree on a single method of checking compression and stick to it when race day comes and you don't like that YOU didn't win than the rest goes pretty smooth. That and ONLY the tech inspector gets to do the test for the top 3 boats...not random spot checks for those boats you think might be over...

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2013, 1:04 pm   
Drag Racing Sponsor

What I wrote about getting rid of the compression rule was just a thought to keep everyone in the same class instead of going Outlaw

I will race whatever the end result is. I can deal with the compression rule. Yes, we all know my motor ended up being over at Dunniville. If I actually got to race on Sunday and we found that out during tech, no biggie, live and learn and I would have had no problem giving up my points. I can live with the 160 rule, we just need a standard for it and that's why I mentioned that contraption I was talking about making with the timer. I would just donate it to the club. If we all know that it's going to be exactly 3 seconds and throttle wide open, then we can all replicate that same test at home. LC can tell you we checked that same motor in G-hurst at Greg's place and it wouldn't go over 150. It was fresh then though.

As for the plug, hey-I'll do that too but I prefer not to as the engine I built for this years rules (which everyone agreed on last year at the meeting) would now be a turd next year. I put a lot of hours of research and a lot of time prepping that block to be the way it is now. If I didn't have a pile of parts and knowledge to do my own work, I'd be pretty pissed off having to put together a new engine to race competitively with next years rules if we used the stopper. Sorry Dave, it would be a good idea if we were all using the same stock engines and hadn't already agreed on the changes that we did for this season. If we do an Outlaw class, then this sounds like the perfect solution for those who want to stay more stock in the non outlaw class.

There is racing that uses a compression rule. I'm interested in getting into to stock car racing at Varney Speedway and it's written in the rules for different classes that they have a whistle that goes off if it's over 9-1, 10-1 etc. depending on the class. I know these are 4 strokes but they do use a compression rule.

As for Outlaw - If a class was to form, I would be all for it. The innovation over the seasons that we would see would be pretty interesting and I love modding stuff and building one-off things. I do believe there is a place for it in the club. If both classes were able to get the numbers, I would think it would be in TORC's best interest to run them both rather than say a class that's only getting 3 or 4 people every time. If that's what's making numbers, then it only makes sense financially to run them rather than a class that is starting to dwindle.

Maybe what we should do is build our crazy engines, do some back yard racing and if there is enough of us that actually pull through with it and get them together, then we can ask to have an outlaw class added later on down the road. The last thing I want to see is changes that loose people and eventually kill it.

Like I said, I will race no mater what everyone agrees on so you don't need to worry about me leaving whichever way the decision goes. I'm just offering thoughts and opinions. Also, if Outlaw does become a new class for next season and we still have a T-850 class, count me in for a boat for each.

Kevin

19' Laser 380 Ray (Future Project)

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2013, 2:26 pm   
Team Member

Some more interesting points.
In the "PERFECT" TORC World
[1] we would be able to have an independent inspector who has no conflict in the class.
Paul does the inspections not because he wants to, but because no one else stepped up.
[2] we could run both stock and mod in T.
- we could run mod and not have to worry about cells, insurance or hurting the other classes.
- we have enough boats for both and enough time in the schedule to race 6 T Classes.
[3] we have SOME separate races with enough support staff and extra safety equipment to split Drag, SLT, T, and SO.
[4] we have sponsors and prize money.
[5] we are able to just race and the club has enough money to pay for helpers.
[6] I win 649 and give 1 million to TORC.

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2013, 2:11 pm   

If we keep changing the rules every year, for sure we will lose boats at the races. We all build our engines given the the rules provided to us. If we have to rebuild every year to accommodate the yearly rule changes , then racers will get fed up and lose interest. We can all build our engines around the current rules, so it is certainly fair to all of us. We built our motor to make sure our port timing met the specs outlined in the rules, and cut the head to keep our compression at or below 160psi. We went with the stock flywheel, and have a fully shiftable gear case with forward & reverse. Why are we beating this to death?

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2013, 2:28 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

hec2buck wrote:
If we keep changing the rules every year, for sure we will lose boats at the races. We all build our engines given the the rules provided to us. If we have to rebuild every year to accommodate the yearly rule changes , then racers will get fed up and lose interest. We can all build our engines around the current rules, so it is certainly fair to all of us. We built our motor to make sure our port timing met the specs outlined in the rules, and cut the head to keep our compression at or below 160psi. We went with the stock flywheel, and have a fully shiftable gear case with forward & reverse. Why are we beating this to death?

EXACTLY!!

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2013, 10:46 pm   
Team Member

DoktorC wrote:
hec2buck wrote:

EXACTLY!!

Agreed!

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2013, 11:35 pm   
Team Member

We seem to have gone a complete circle here.
From a new class proposal to leaving the class as is.
With the large boat count we currently have, we should be able group boats in competitive heats. It is impossible at this level for racing with our support staff and funding to do everything and provide every racer's requests. We have a lot of experience and knowledge in the T Group. Respect the sport and your fellow racers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next