It is currently September 28th, 2024, 4:50 pm

T 850 Marathon??..or T-850 BAJA

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2013, 5:37 pm   
Team Member

Any T-850's interested to compete in the toughest O/B marathon race in NA?...87 miles over 2 days.
Norhern Michigan, 7hr drive from TO: http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

This would be an AWESOME T-850 marathon race. Fuel up with 2-3 large tanks, river and lake racing, over 2 days.
T-850 BAJA,...so to speak. NOT 5 lap roundy-round, NOT cottage kilo run, NOT 'Oooh, my arse is sore' or 'my jacket not comfy' racing,...THIS IS BLUE BALLS RACING!!..IF you're balls have feeling(not, if you can feel your balls), you have NOT raced!!

This is THE definitive balls to wall Top'O race vid, like being on board James Bond's Glastron(Live and Let Die) in the Bayou thru tight passages, 60+mph through open lift locks, boats coming at you at 60+mph, past boat houses and fans. Approx 60min to do Sunday course. Get a beer & watch(59min): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFMb-tE8Dwg

This is a great venue to promote T-850 racing in US, feature TORC's great T Racing Teams. If we can field 7-8 boats, I'd call it a success.

For decades, the race has included all current SO classes, from JSH(kids) to ASH to SLT(Bouncy boats, w 56 ci).
TORC's own Steve and John Heuninck won the SLT(X-Class) in 2012. Congrats!!! From what I recall S&J are putting a T-850 together for 2013.

Excerpt below of course:

Over two days racers will travel over 87 miles through Northern Michigan’s Inland Waterway. On Saturday Drivers will start in Indian River at Devoe Beach then travel through the Indian River across Mullet Lake and through the Cheboygan River where they turn around at the Locks. The drivers return back to the finish at Devoe Beach.

On Sunday drivers again start at Devoe Beach, travel across Burt Lake and run up its western shore and enter the Crooked River then enter Crooked Lake and make two check points to the return to Indian River. Drivers will travel the Indian River and turn around in Mullet Lake and finish again at Devoe Beach.
Saturday Course: Indian River, Mullett Lake, Cheboygan River
Sunday Course: Burt Lake, Crooked River, Crooked Lake, Indian River

NAME: World’s Toughest Boat Race, Top O’Michigan Marathon Nationals
Tip of the Mitt. Inland Waterway
RACE DISTANCE: 87 Miles over Two Days
DATES: August 16-18, 2013
PIC GALLERY: http://www.tomorc.com/Top_O/Photos.html

Go to website, see the course, pics. Search youtube for plenty of prior year race vids.

You CANNOT do this LEGALLY anywhere else in the world, without getting arrested or shot. In this day and age, a matter of time until this will be outlawed.
Who's up for this?...and I'll reach out to Top'O officials to see if we can get on sanction.

Team Hydroid.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: January 2nd, 2013, 5:51 pm   
Team Member

Oh yeah...I'm in for this one...Dok and I talked about this a couple of times.

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2013, 6:07 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!!!

I want to do a marathon in a big way....

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2013, 6:21 pm   
Team Member

DoktorC wrote:

Hey Ray Babbit(aka Rain Man), I'll make you a vat of chilli, enjoy your porcelain marathon. Gteed, your knees & back will hurt, without the drive.

OK, that's 2 nutbars, LC & Dok(time off an issue?); something tells me we won't even get on the course from hangovers,....who else, sane? I'll drop Top O guys a note.

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2013, 9:59 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Hydroid wrote:
DoktorC wrote:

Hey Ray Babbit(aka Rain Man), I'll make you a vat of chilli, enjoy your porcelain marathon. Gteed, your knees & back will hurt, without the drive.

OK, that's 2 nutbars, LC & Dok(time off an issue?); something tells me we won't even get on the course from hangovers,....who else, sane? I'll drop Top O guys a note.

Time off isn't an issue because its the same weekend as Dunnville...if you're bringing chilli then I might need to borrow a pair of your assless chaps and I'll just throw a big bilge pump in the doo...doo...

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2013, 3:11 pm   
Team Member

Update,
TOMORC Vice Commodore feedback:

'Erik, I will be sure to bring this up to the club. Your style of boat sounds very suitable for Top'O ....actually might be better, Ha-ha....I know I will be asked just how many will come if we put them on the sanction. You mentioned several were willing to commit and that would be very important for us to know. I am for this, myself, and would be willing to speak for you. Try to find out just how many would "really" want to come, and stay in touch. Vice commodore, TOMORC"

Ok, so this is now at 'Bucket list' status, & within grasp. This is much more than a boat race, it's a road trip, to T-850 Baja.

Itineray: this will be minimum 3day commitment:
- Thurs Aug 15: Convoy departs evening, 7-8 hr drive, arrive late @ Indian River, MI. (5hrs from London)
- Friday: reconnoiter course, prep, on water demo, festivities
- Sat/Sun: race and festivities
- Sun: return 7-8hr drive.

We need a boat count commitment to secure TOMORC support. I'm guessing 6 boat minimum will work.
Possible Roster:
Prophydro(PA), Heuninck(MI), LC, Hydroid, Dok, Elsey(2), Fraser, Hevikevi, Gig, TG, Zonka, many others,...If only LC and I cld get 2 boats there each:).

Who is in to make this happen?

PS: I wonder if a tractor, 48' flatdeck could transport 6 boats to/from Top'O?...then unhitch trailer on return at DV for Aug 24-25 race, haul away Aug 25. Would require f/lift @ Top'O & DV.
NB: Dville is Aug 24-25, not Aug 18-19.

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2013, 4:08 pm   
Drag Racing Sponsor

Awesome! Sign me up!

19' Laser 380 Ray (Future Project)

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2013, 5:04 pm   
Team Member

First off, this race in INCREDIBLE!!! Everyone has to do it at least once.

From experience... book a camp site or motel for Sunday night. If it's a rough water day, you wont want to be rushing to pack up and head home, you'll want your advil and pillow. We stayed at a Jelly Stone camp ground I think it was... nice place for basic camping, lots of racers there.

Since a T boat would be pretty quick through the course... you might not have anyone to follow... go Friday and join in on one of the racer pleasure boat tours of the course route. Study the route ahead of time. I'd guess the race course is about 35 miles long end to end and you do a full lap and then some over the two day event (82 miles I think it is).

Erik... see if they will let people run on a CBF card (pre APBA-CBF agreement) First APBA boat over line would win title.

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: January 3rd, 2013, 7:40 pm   
Team Member

here are some videos from last year with gps. the sunday one is better, but both ran out of camera memory before the end of the course. Each day is about a 50 minute run.
http://contour.com/videos/watch/2012-th ... o-saturday
http://contour.com/stories/2012-thunder ... opo-sunday

The official race site is here with course map, results from year past and race commodore contact info.

http://www.tomorc.com/Top_O/Welcome.html

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: January 3rd, 2013, 9:57 pm   
Team Member

sheuninck wrote:
here are some videos from last year with gps. the sunday one is better, but both ran out of camera memory before the end of the course. Each day is about a 50 minute run.
http://contour.com/videos/watch/2012-th ... o-saturday
http://contour.com/stories/2012-thunder ... opo-sunday

The official race site is here with course map, results from year past and race commodore contact info.

http://www.tomorc.com/Top_O/Welcome.html

First, your Sunday vid is great. Big shoutout for HPBCanada decal on deck.
Ok, I've done Sun course 3x so far. Takes 8 min beach to river, 6min on river, 10min around lake, 6 back down, 8 to beach. Hmmm, prop selection; I'm thinking long course given only 10 of 40min on river, has some straights, also tall prop keep rpm down a bit.
BUT, my wallet already sweating in ass pocket thinking burnt piston, fuel pump quits, skeg hits stump, WAAHAAH!!...

Pretty please request: can you re-do Sat run this weekend and... I DON"T WANT TO SEE 40MIN OF MI CLOUDS AGAIN!..Sheesh, bunch of rookies!!

PS: any Hotties in the crowds, or all double baggers up in them MI deep woods?...well, I guess all cats are gray in the night.