It is currently May 31st, 2024, 1:44 am

T's at Gravenhurst....What a Great SHOW!!!!

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 24th, 2013, 8:25 am   
Team Member

The boys really put on a show. Sunday mornings races were the BEST racing I have seen in years! Talk about competitive.
They ran the 6 boat Saturday final first. The number one turn was crazy on lap one. So many boats and no space. I don't know how they made it through. I spoke to TOP GUN who was sub driving in Working man Junior's Critchfield and he said there was no where to go. He came within inches of taking out Erik's VooDoo. YEP!!

That great race was followed by back to back races with 11 boats. There was action all over the course. Guys that got good starts, got good finishes. If you were in the pack, you battled head to head with the guy beside you, while trying to catch the guy ahead of you and still protect yourself from the guy behind you.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: June 24th, 2013, 10:38 am   
Team Member

Yup it's all about the fun - but my god we're dying to know where we all placed in each heat Haha!!
I'm currently trying to find out, but if someone knows already, post er' up!

PostPosted: June 24th, 2013, 11:25 am   
Team Member

Wow...that was one great weekend of racing. Jake - you holding that checkmate to the floor around turn 4 was some of the best entertainment I got watching from the docks all weekend! Thanks for showing us all that a cottage boat can run and have fun doing it! T850 guys....I agree 100% with Don - the heats on Sunday were some of the most exciting racing I have seen yet in your class.

Overall, my hat off to everyone involved, in every aspect of the weekend. As tunnelv has mentioned in another thread here on the board, our team in its in rookie year. None of us are strangers to fast boats and racing - all being from Dunnville we've been watching from the sidelines for a long time - tunnelv in his youth was even a gas jockey at the local marina. Our build took almost a year and a half, and we received a lot of great support from the tboat gang, that has carried right through at the events. We've jumped in with both feet to help as much as we can at both events so far, whether it be launching boats, helping out at the docks, flagging...you name it. I personally have had very little downtime at both Waterford and this past weekend at Gravenhurst. I came to race and to help others who were racing. I even instituted some mandatory volunteer time for folks I knew who just came to watch! I can tell you that getting a pit pass for a non-racer who is used to standing on the sidelines and putting them on the dock to help out between heats generates a level of interest in the sport that far exceeds just being a spectator!

Is there room for improvement? Always. And I sincerely hope that everyone chimes in to the executive with their ideas and suggestions....not complaints...suggestions. Our team talked to several of the executive members, and voiced our suggestions. We talked to other teams over the weekend and discussed things with them as well. The sport is definitely on a long awaited upswing, and there is going to be some growing pains along the way, but hey.....that's just the way any event/club that is entirely driven by volunteer efforts is going to work. The more foks who volunteer, the easier things are going to run for the day and the less stress and work it is for everyone involved.

The executive for the most part is new, many of the volunteers are new, some of the racers are new...there is a learning curve for everyone.

If we want the sport to keep growing, and want every event to keep getting better we all need to pitch in, offer our constructive suggestions to the executive and each other, and most of all just keep having fun. A well organized, cohesive and FUN sport will attract new racers, keep the experienced racers happy and racing, and draw more spectators to each event.

I had a great time, and I'm staying positive about where we are headed and hope that things just keep getting better!

T750 Boat #49 - Crew
2013, 2014, 2015 and 2017 High Points Champion

PostPosted: June 24th, 2013, 11:42 am   
Team Member

These are great words and a great attitude. There were many hicuups at this event on Saturday for all the types of boats. Most all of this can be solved by having more and regular volunteers... and most importantly, if you volunteer, taking the job seriously. Sure you might make a mistake... no worries, but do it with an interest and not just because you have to. How would you want your volunteer position done if you were racing in the heat taking place. The race club and level of events is growing faster than the volunteer base. Don't be shy, anyone is welcome to help out, racer or not. Just ask at a race/send an email/call someone that is a racer or on the club exectutive at www.torc.ca

Honker wrote:
Overall, my hat off to everyone involved, in every aspect of the weekend. As tunnelv has mentioned in another thread here on the board, our team in its in rookie year. None of us are strangers to fast boats and racing - all being from Dunnville we've been watching from the sidelines for a long time - tunnelv in his youth was even a gas jockey at the local marina. Our build took almost a year and a half, and we received a lot of great support from the tboat gang, that has carried right through at the events. We've jumped in with both feet to help as much as we can at both events so far, whether it be launching boats, helping out at the docks, flagging...you name it. I personally have had very little downtime at both Waterford and this past weekend at Gravenhurst. I came to race and to help others who were racing. I even instituted some mandatory volunteer time for folks I knew who just came to watch! I can tell you that getting a pit pass for a non-racer who is used to standing on the sidelines and putting them on the dock to help out between heats generates a level of interest in the sport that far exceeds just being a spectator!

Is there room for improvement? Always. And I sincerely hope that everyone chimes in to the executive with their ideas and suggestions....not complaints...suggestions. Our team talked to several of the executive members, and voiced our suggestions. We talked to other teams over the weekend and discussed things with them as well. The sport is definitely on a long awaited upswing, and there is going to be some growing pains along the way, but hey.....that's just the way any event/club that is entirely driven by volunteer efforts is going to work. The more foks who volunteer, the easier things are going to run for the day and the less stress and work it is for everyone involved.

The executive for the most part is new, many of the volunteers are new, some of the racers are new...there is a learning curve for everyone.

If we want the sport to keep growing, and want every event to keep getting better we all need to pitch in, offer our constructive suggestions to the executive and each other, and most of all just keep having fun. A well organized, cohesive and FUN sport will attract new racers, keep the experienced racers happy and racing, and draw more spectators to each event.

I had a great time, and I'm staying positive about where we are headed and hope that things just keep getting better!

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: June 24th, 2013, 2:58 pm   
Team Member

Honker wrote:
Wow...that was one great weekend of racing. Jake - you holding that checkmate to the floor around turn 4 was some of the best entertainment I got watching from the docks all weekend! Thanks for showing us all that a cottage boat can run and have fun doing it! T850 guys....I agree 100% with Don - the heats on Sunday were some of the most exciting racing I have seen yet in your class.

Here is one of the Checkmates racing when they were NEW! And if you look at his number US1 means he is the top boat!

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1969-Boat-Race-O ... 2a26c6d91a

PostPosted: June 25th, 2013, 9:08 pm   
Drag Racing Sponsor

Waterford was ok, but racing with everyone at Gravenhurst was awesome! I had an amazing time over the weekend even though I didn't get to race Saturday. The racing Sunday was an absolute blast. Thanks to Northbase for allowing us to stay, the use of the workshop and help working on the boat!

19' Laser 380 Ray (Future Project)

PostPosted: June 25th, 2013, 11:23 pm   
Team Member

Honker wrote:

Honker, it was great to meet you at WF and GH, thanks to you and tunnelv for stepping up, pitching in to help with T's and other tasks, providing constructive suggestions. As previously mentioned, TORC and any volunteer based club is only as strong as its members willingness to get involved, take initiative, ownership, and get things done. The Executive will not accomplish much without member participation, also being limited to 24hrs in a day.

It's laughable when i read banal complaints of having to arrive too early on a weekend for drivers meeting, then to foolishly claim of sitting around with nothing to do. I'm not interested in engaging with such self-absorbed lackadaisical mindset, when there is much to accomplish with proactive people who willingly engage....like...You!

You guys should come up to the ACBS 100 years of racing event in GH July 6. I need 2 drivers for 2 inboards for corner boat duty. Best seat in the house and it will be spectacular.

Thanks again, glad you had a great weekend, see you guys at Beaver Lake or Dunnville.

PostPosted: June 26th, 2013, 10:53 am   
Team Member

Thanks to to all the members/ volunteers of the TORC Club for putting on a GREAT event at Gravenhurst. The event was first class all the way. The spectators watched a great show, and looked like they were entertained. A special shout out to Will Hunter for all of his leg work to secure sponsorship etc... To Jason, Erik, Heather, Norma etc... thanks for all you do to make these races happen it is MUCH appreciated !!! Things always can be improved upon, but it is up to us to be part of the solution and not part of the problem. We just show up and race, and volunteer where needed, the TORC officials must deal with a slew of stuff we do not understand, and still find time to race themselves. Hats off to you guys and gals !!!! See you in Dunnville...

Todd, Thom, Matthew :D :D

PostPosted: June 26th, 2013, 11:35 pm   
Team Member

Seeing 11 boats run their asses off was very very fun indeed. Hats off to all that helped make a great weekend.

2017 OGW Nitrous Shootout Champion
2016 OSCA True Street champion
2015 OSCA 8.90 2nd in Championship

..... just a little SBF at 8.39

PostPosted: June 27th, 2013, 12:57 am   
Team Member

I'm still looking for some pictures of the 850 race - anyone know where they are??

So I got the official heat by heat placings. If the racer didn't place, they either were disqualified or didn't finish the race. This is from a points standpoint only, not necessarily the order in who crossed the finish line. Remember Heat 1 was divided into two races. As we all know Mike was there and did well, but did not wish to be scored. VERY exciting race, and I believe we did a good job of entertaining the crowd!

okay here's how it went,
H1 - 1. Jake/Rusty
2. Erik/TGun
3. Todd
4. Craig

H2 - 1. Todd
2. Craig
3. Jake
4. TGun
5. Rusty
6. Erik

saturday overall, the two ties were disputed by total time to complete both heats. Todd beat jake by 9 seconds total. Tgun beat craig by 3 seconds!!

H3 - 1. Jake
2. Todd
3. Kevin
4. Tgun
5. Craig
6. Erik
7. Rusty
8. JohnH/Gig

H4 - 1. Todd
2. Tgun
3. Kevin
4. Craig