It is currently July 4th, 2024, 4:10 am

T750 boats at Gravenhurst..Larger field..Their own heats

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 7th, 2013, 10:41 am   
Team Member

We had 3 at Waterford. The will be more at Gravenhurst. We could see our first Mercury. Also Craig Fraser has agreed to rig his Critchfield with a 3 cylinder big foot. He doesn't get any points for running it. It will give us the opportunity to compare performance. We have a number of VooDoos in the area running that same motor and those fellows are sitting on the fence about racing them. Jake is working on Stefs boat and we hope to have a boat there as well. It would be ideal to have T750 boats in their own heat. By showcasing the other motor options, we will get more entries in T750.
The information I have so far is the big foot runs between 53 and 55 mph and needs a 23 to 24 large prop.
Can any of you guys confirm. Also we don't have a prop for Craig's motor yet. Would a 12 3/4 x 23 SST 60 prop work? That is the biggest prop I have.

JUST TO ADD. This is the same motor APBA runs in their VP75 class. Only difference is we don't have the 5 inch prop shaft rule. Their boats barely get above 50 mph and get beat by the 2 cylinder motors. So I don't think speed will be the issue.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: June 7th, 2013, 1:48 pm   
Team Member

The big foot went high 50s on our SLT and low 60s when we put the nitro on. The prop was a 25 on the big foot and 23 on the nitro. Note that the prop shaft is fatter on the big foot and the nitro props do not fit. You need an OMC 4 cyl prop for the big foot.

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: June 7th, 2013, 2:54 pm   
Team Member

That matches the e-mail I just got. On early SE tunnels they ran 25 and 27 OMC props. I guess there was no 26 pitch. High 50's on a tunnel would translate into low 50's on a V bottom. You must run the big gear case lower than the nitro to get water on the V bottom. No wonder the VP75's handle so poorly. Big props and a big gear case. Obviously finding a Race prop is going to be a problem. The lake guys are likely running performance props not race props.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2013, 11:26 am   
Team Member

We now have Craig Fraser running in T750 as well as T850.
Jake is running his Checkmate in T750 and his Critchfield in T850.
Kevin got Dave Whittington's 411 critchfield, so he now has 2 boats.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2013, 12:12 pm   
Team Member

Hounddog wrote:
We now have Craig Fraser running in T750 as well as T850.
Jake is running his Checkmate in T750 and his Critchfield in T850.
Kevin got Dave Whittington's 411 critchfield, so he now has 2 boats.

Great to hear...looking forward to seeing the checkmate go, great incentive for other cottage boats to come out and race in 750

PostPosted: June 11th, 2013, 12:47 pm   
Drag Racing Sponsor

Hounddog wrote:
That matches the e-mail I just got. On early SE tunnels they ran 25 and 27 OMC props. I guess there was no 26 pitch. High 50's on a tunnel would translate into low 50's on a V bottom. You must run the big gear case lower than the nitro to get water on the V bottom. No wonder the VP75's handle so poorly. Big props and a big gear case. Obviously finding a Race prop is going to be a problem. The lake guys are likely running performance props not race props.

I'd talk to Ron Hill and see what he can come up with for props for the big case. From what I understand, when he makes the wax model for the casting, he glues three blades to a hub. I can't see why he couldn't just put the blades on a different hub at the pitch you want. I'm not a prop expert or anything but it just seems possible from the way he explained his process to me. I've heard both good and bad about his props but I'm very happy with the way my 12x23 worked for the price. If you're racing, he will do up a prop for around $250

19' Laser 380 Ray (Future Project)

PostPosted: June 11th, 2013, 12:49 pm   
Team Member

Should be interesting eh? I figued it might intrigue lake racers to come and race.
The only issue I need to sort out is floatation any genius ideas? Anyone have Pool bags?

PostPosted: June 11th, 2013, 1:01 pm   
Drag Racing Sponsor

I guess we'll have to see what kind of acceleration the 3cyl motors will have compared to the 2cyl if they are running the same top speed. If needed, a weight restriction maybe even higher than the 850 boats like 925lbs or something might help it stay a little more even if using the 3cyl. I'm guessing some of the boats that are running these motors like the checkmate and heavier voodoos will end up coming in with at least that weight anyway. I would think a tuff critch or a light delta with a 3 cylinder and large case would just eat the 2 cylinder motors out of the corner

PostPosted: June 12th, 2013, 11:16 am   
Drag Racing Sponsor

sheuninck wrote:
The big foot went high 50s on our SLT and low 60s when we put the nitro on. The prop was a 25 on the big foot and 23 on the nitro. Note that the prop shaft is fatter on the big foot and the nitro props do not fit. You need an OMC 4 cyl prop for the big foot.

I just tried one of my props on my large gear case. Fits fine...

PostPosted: June 12th, 2013, 12:25 pm   
Team Member

[quote="Hevi KeviI just tried one of my props on my large gear case. Fits fine...[/quote]

Erik has a large pitch prop and Kevin I believe you have one.
The boys should be OK to run.