It is currently May 9th, 2024, 1:42 am

Attracting new blood into TORC

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 19th, 2012, 2:50 pm   
Team Member

I was going to use some of this approach in developing GT30. Several clubs in Europe run similar programs. APBA has a school training day. Now that I have more time to work on this idea. I thought it best to put it out there and see what people think.This is one in England

Junior Training Boat
Are you Ready for the adrenaline rush of your life?
If so and if you are between the ages of 9 and 16 and you like to try your hand at powerboat racing in our training boat then read on.
We offer a two-stage package, which includes an initial training day consisting of a minimum 24 laps of our junior racing circuit. The session begins at about 1.00 pm when a full safety briefing takes place prior to being shown the lake from the safety of our rescue boat before taking to the water where you will be in control of the boat. You will then experience a series of on the water runs which depending upon the number of people attending and other water usage will take between 2 – 4 hours. This is a great Birthday or Christmas gift .
Successful completion of the training session will lead to presentation of a certificate of competency allowing you to progress to stage 2, which is the race day package.
The race day package gives you sole use of the boat for the duration of the race program. You will be expected to arrive at 12.00 where you will ensure that your boat is ready for that days racing. After scrutinizing you will attend a drivers briefing where you will receive instruction on the days racing and meet your fellow racers. Next is a timed practice when you have the opportunity of setting a pole position lap followed by up to four races (time permitting).
After ensuring that your boat is put away you will be invited to attend the prize presentation when depending on your results you may well be picking up a trophy. Club races are run on a personal handicap basis so even the slowest boat in the field has a chance of winning.
The cost of stage 1 and stage 2 is £40.00 for each stage or if booked together the cost is £75.00. This includes all training costs, race entry fees and day license issued by the RYA which provides third party insurance cover. You need to be medically fit and be willing to take on board the instructions from your trainer. You will need to bring suitable clothing that will cover your arms and legs as well as suitable footwear such as trainers. We may be able to provide racing overalls depending on your size and a helmet and life-jacket will always be provided.
Once you have completed your first race we are confident that you will be hooked by this family centered sport and there will always be people around to advise on the purchase of your own outfit, which you will need to compete in the next round of the club championship and then the various national championship events that take place around the country.
Whilst no form of motorsport can ever be described as cheap, powerboat racing represents the least expensive and most exiting way of entering a high action, adrenalin fuelled sport. Pre owned Junior race boats suitable for club racing, depending on availability, can be purchased for around £2000 and running costs for a season club racing is around £500. Remember that as club events are run on a personal handicap basis everyone has an equal opportunity of winning irrespective of your investment. To compete at the highest level both Nationally and Internationally will require an investment of about £6,000 and running cost remain very low especially when compared with Karting.
For more information please contact our Training Boat Coordinator, Tim on lprctrainingboat@gmail.com

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: April 19th, 2012, 2:55 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

I REALLY like that idea.....how well would this work in conjunction with the Seaflea meet on 6m?

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: April 19th, 2012, 4:16 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

I did this for the dirt bike racing world for 4 years... I single handedly brought about 25 new kids into racing.. It will work.. The best word of mouth is through Schools and organized sports.. Anything you need from HPBC we will help when we can.

PostPosted: April 19th, 2012, 4:43 pm   
Team Member

DoktorC wrote:
I REALLY like that idea.....how well would this work in conjunction with the Seaflea meet on 6m?

Great idea. Michigan Hydroplane Racing Assoc holds 'Racing School', very organised with detailed expectations and deliverables. I'm sure they'd let us borrow their concept/merketing ideas.
Check this out: http://www.michiganhydroplane.com/index.html
Benefit of doing on official race course(eg: Friday aftn @ Wford) instead of open lake, the conducting club, instructors and newbie racers are all covered by CBF(K&K) insurance in case of fubar.
We could promote this at GH/DV 2012, and at TIBS(if we have a booth?), for 2013 GH, do school on the Friday?...actually, WF is ideal for this early June, small quiet pond, not intimidating.

Muskoka Seaflea 2012 Fleafest will be on Gull Lake mid-Aug, not 6ML this year. MSF guys are capitalising on our racing success in GH, thinking GL is more central.

TORC Exec been dreaming bout this for 2 years; just need time and $. We need 1 GT30($5K), and 1 20SSH Hydro($2K) for each. Now's the time to think forward for 2013.

MHRA Hydro school video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH_XRgzjAMs&lr=1

Last edited by Hydroid on April 19th, 2012, 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 19th, 2012, 4:49 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

I'll donate whatever boat I have for the cause....

I'd even throw a second seat in the voodoo if we were allowed to do a demo run.

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: April 19th, 2012, 4:56 pm   
Team Member

DoktorC wrote:
I'll donate whatever boat I have for the cause....

I'd even throw a second seat in the voodoo if we were allowed to do a demo run.

Better you than Ryley,...Ok, ok, I know that's a low shot. Sorry Rye