It is currently September 29th, 2024, 12:27 am

VPR CLASS ...T850...T750...GT30...DIVISIONS...Moving Forward

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 1st, 2013, 9:52 am   
Team Member

We moved in this direction a little sooner than I had hoped. The basic plan was there since day one and now with the help of other T class members we have the initial phrase in works for the 2013 race season.
Before this season begins I want to explain what is different about this class structure and how it enables everyone to to competitive.

2013 season
VPR [V PRODUCTION RUNABOUT] is the Class.

T Division is a division within the VPR class.
T850, T750 and GT30 are groups T division.
The 2013 rules are in place for each T Class.
There are spec rules for each group.

That is where we are at in 2013.

NOW THE ADVANTAGE OF DIVISIONS
Every year we have racers in all forms of racing who don't like certain Spec rules and we get situations that are best to avoid. The problems up set racers in they quit.

VPR allows the widest range of motors in outboard racing EVER!
That is a key factor in why the boat count continues to grow.
It is also the reason why it is difficult to structure the class. Too many variables. This is where we find ourselves in 2013.

DIVISIONS ARE THE SOLUTION
Based on boat count we can separate T850, T750 and GT30 and have smaller divisions within the groups.
Example T850
Division 4S/ET....4 strokes and ETECs
Division T850 ST...bone stock out of the box yamaha and 49 OMCs

With divisions you still race in the same heat if need be..but you are scored separate. To have a Division you need 5 or 6 boats that want to be in it. So if you don't like the spec rule of the current T850 rules we have another option.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: May 1st, 2013, 11:18 am   
Drag Racing Sponsor

So for T850, do you mean there would be 3 divisions?

T850 4S/ET - what would be the rules for deciding the engines to run? Cubic inch would seem most logical to me but I'm guessing there would be a big difference in hp/ci between the etec and the 4 strokes - just guessing, I haven't actually looked that up or would you just go by rated hp of each one?

T850 ST - I guess this would be pretty much the same as UIM T850 and the old EP class rules before the 56omc was allowed?

T850 SS or something? Kind of like a super stock class for all motors up to 60CI with the allowed modifications we have talked about and max 160psi?

19' Laser 380 Ray (Future Project)

PostPosted: May 1st, 2013, 12:41 pm   
Team Member

You guys have come up with 12+ different Vee classes for 2013? LOL. That doesn't sound like over kill to you?

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: May 1st, 2013, 12:54 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Andrew4ce wrote:
You guys have come up with 12+ different Vee classes for 2013? LOL. That doesn't sound like over kill to you?

Someone needs to spend a day in the scoring tent lol. 12 different classes with a total of 12 boats means EVERYONE can be a champ....just like grade 1 :) ....

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: May 1st, 2013, 12:57 pm   
Team Member

Maybe a simpler solution is bracket type racing... buy 12 $100 GPS's, stick them in boats for the races... 50-55 mph class, 55-60 mph class, 60-65 mph class (or whatever 3 levels deemed needed). You break the top speed you are DQ that heat. Next race move up a class or slow your boat down. Who cares what they have on the back or what mods are done, never need to inspect anything.

I'm sure there are lots of ideas to reduce the number of classes and keep it simple but competitive.

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: May 1st, 2013, 1:06 pm   
Drag Racing Sponsor

DoktorC wrote:
Andrew4ce wrote:

Someone needs to spend a day in the scoring tent lol. 12 different classes with a total of 12 boats means EVERYONE can be a champ....just like grade 1 :) ....

Haha nice! Can there be a keg prize for each one like the 6ML trophy? :lol:

PostPosted: May 1st, 2013, 1:11 pm   
Drag Racing Sponsor

In all seriousness, for the cost of these engines, I don't see why you would need to accommodate every engine that someone has in their garage. It's pretty cheap racing. Just buy or build one to suit the class and sell the one in your garage to pay for it?

PostPosted: May 1st, 2013, 1:19 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Hevi Kevi wrote:
In all seriousness, for the cost of these engines, I don't see why you would need to accommodate every engine that someone has in their garage. It's pretty cheap racing. Just buy or build one to suit the class and sell the one in your garage to pay for it?

BING!!! You win the prize for being logical lol. The rules are pretty clear for the class(es) so I think T750 and T850 shouldn't need any watering down. GT30 is not off the dock yet so that's a wait and see if we get boats.

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: May 1st, 2013, 1:40 pm   
Drag Racing Sponsor

One that might be of interest though might be a "Green T" class like Hdog mentioned for the etecs and 4 strokes. Some of the rich people might wonder everyone uses old junk and want to buy something new, emissions friendly and expensive. I for one do not have the money to play with those motors.

PostPosted: May 1st, 2013, 1:48 pm   
Team Member

Either I didn't word the post right or your just missing the point.

First there would only be the other division [s] if needed.
Example Say in T850 we get 6 boats that are 4 stroke and or ETEC. IF? those racers wanted to have their boats scored separately and the T group agrees then they can be scored separate.

The 2 stroke motors are either pure stock or altered stock. T850 is altered stock now. Changes can and have been made according to the T group proposal[s]. Those rules are agreed to by the T group. There is only one other option. PURE STOCK you cannot be in the middle. Any other changes would be revisions to the current rules as we currently do.

SO NOTHING IS AUTOMATIC AND WE WILL NOT HAVE 13 DIVISIONS. What you will see in the future are new motors. We have positioned T to allow these motors be competitive.