It is currently June 21st, 2024, 1:52 am

T Boat notes after Dunnville....Planning for the future

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 PostPosted: September 12th, 2012, 12:05 pm   
Team Member

Here are my thoughts or my .02

The class has great momentum currently, with a bunch of great people involved. If you make it too complicated, it will kill the growth. I am all for a real concrete set of rules regarding the motors. The problem I see is that there has NEVER been a spec class that was successful with two or three totally different motors running. It just does not work. That is why this class was so appealing. You could run a couple different versions of stuff and go racing. You will not satisfy the majority by inspecting at one race only. If you are going to inspect, it has to be at every event. I am all for it, but will it hurt boat count??? Will the new rules prohibit existing racers to compete?? Do people want to spend money for gaskets, seals etc...?? There is no prize money, no tow money so how will it be received?? I thought going in that this was a class for stock SST 60 motors with 160 psi, stock 56 c.i. with 160 psi, and stock 75 stingers 49 c.i. with 160 psi. As well as same with the Yammie stock and 160 psi. ( do not know this motor) As the year went on, we found out that this guy has thousands in a powerhead mod, this 60 horse fishing motor has been ported and ground on etc... So with that said what do we do? It is apparent that their are already modded motors out there. What do you do with them? I do not care if you finish 5th or 1st, if there are rules and your illegal your tossed.

As far as rules I would say since there are 60 motors out there make them the benchmark. Obviously you are legal with a SST 60 spec motor with 160 lbs compression. I would say you can run a 60 tuner or 56 fishing tuner since the 60 tuners are almost impossible to find. Now one can update their 56 block to 60 specs as far as port timing etc... So what you basically have now is two totally different motors that can be made to compete with each other. If it is your choice to run a 49c.i. block make them be held to old FE or EP specs for that motor with 160 lbs psi. Yamaha I can't speak for but also at 160 psi. Now every guy or gal has the opportunity to tune the fishing 56 to 60 specs. If static numbers are not the way to go then come up with a cc for pocket depth and be DONE.

I know Don has said this time and time again, but I will reiterate SET UP AND DRIVING SKILL win races. If you are 7th at the start there is not enough cheating options available on that motor to make that up in a 5 lap heat. Top speed on your lake does not win races, getting around the course does. Balance and ability to drive in rough water without being all over the place is where its at. Some refuse to believe this but it is true. My boat would not win any top speed shootouts at 150-200lbs. overweight, but it is about going fast around the course. I look forward to see where the class goes from here. More importantly I look forward to see how the class GROWS from here.

Todd

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: September 12th, 2012, 1:25 pm   
Team Member

Todd, as you know we share many of the same views. If you look at the T school thread you can see we are addressing some of your concerns.
We cannot afford to make the rules so tight that racers stay way. Talented racers like you can set a good example.
Showing the way by example and open honestly is the best way for all of us to grow the class.
The current rules make it very easy to have a competitive boat. It is important that we support the newbe, educate them and point them in the right direction. Then let their ability take over.

PostPosted: September 13th, 2012, 4:09 pm   
Team Member

I had the opportunity to speak on the phone with Todd today. Since I was unable to attend Dunnville Todd and I had some catching up to do. Todd is a strong competitor and even stronger supporter of T Class. He is looking forward to next year. He did mention he was working on props for several current T racers. What another great asset Todd is to have as part of our T group. Todd may have some new T racers joining us as well. They too are former APBA racers and really find our class interesting. Damn, someone else is going to need to set up with Trophies. I can't afford both a Six Mile Keg Trophy and a American Group Keg Trophy. Is our beer still stronger than the American brands? IF so then a small keg of Calgary Stock should do the trick. Todd, Top Gun can make new boats and he has some good complete motors. The group will even help getting them rigged.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6