It is currently September 30th, 2024, 7:29 am

T850 Engine Rule "SUGGESTIONS" for 2013

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 PostPosted: January 16th, 2013, 7:56 pm   
Team Member

The purpose of the proposal is to get everyone talking before the CBF meeting.
If you read it carefully you will see there is nothing that would increase HP, any more than an SST-60 with 160 lb compression.
Nothing has changed.
I believe Port matching (Blueprinting) is allowed in stock O/B racing. (That horse has already left the barn)
Any exhaust tuner cut short might give you more top end but will deplete your torque, and as Don has always said, that is a detriment, not an advantage on the race course.
The SST-60 megaphone length is designed for 8000+ RPM, no advantage having one even shorter, there fore a length rule is not necessary.
Finger ports definitely make HP, that is why they can't be added on an already looped charged engine.
Cross flow engines could use the boost (pun intended) and I believe some Mercs have power ports.
All engines should have the benefit of 1-1/4" venturi carbs, it is another limiting factor much like the 160 lb rule. Smaller carbs give better acceleration so are sometimes better.
Don't forget we still have the 160 lb rule and pump fuel which should essentially levels the HP playing field.
Any engine with compression reliefs will give a false low compression reading which is why those particular engines can have an unfair advantage, pump gas would keep that in check. If you run too much compression for a given gas, and you back the timing down to compensate, the end result is less overall HP. (Otherwise all engine builders would jack their compression at the factory level.)
Balancing, flywheels etc do not make HP, they make our engines last longer. (Reeds may be an exception)
All factory lower units came with reverse.
The custom parts are to simply facilitate finding hard to get parts.
Building a Frankenstein engine with Yami power head, Merc lower unit and Suzuki power trim makes no more HP than any other Yamaha, so why not? You can't find a short 70 Yami but you have the where-with-all to build one, fill your boots.
Dave E
:D #56

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: January 16th, 2013, 8:19 pm   
Team Member

Dougw wrote:
- Any make fully shift able [with reverse] gear case, with 1.64 – 2.42:1 ratio.

My "stock" SST 60 gearcase does not have reverse. Not sure why reverse gear would be mandatory?

I stand corrected. My gearcase apparently does have reverse. For whatever reason the shifter control in my Critch only has neutral and forward positions. I therefore assumed my case didn't have reverse.
So, if I change my shifter I'll be legal and able to parallel park at the dock also :lol:

12' tinny - 9.9 merc

PostPosted: January 17th, 2013, 9:34 am   
Team Member

The T850 group has to decide if they want the class to be MOD or not. Partially MOD doesn't work. There are too many grey areas in a partially mod rule book and the rules are difficult or impossible to enforce. Stock Outboard currently has MOD Classes, so the SO members and executive of CBF would likely except MOD easier. You don't have to go into all the different tech specs in your proposal. Your just changing the class to Mod. T850 wants to reduce or eliminate tech inspections. MOD will do that. Safety inspection, weight limits and fuel test [maybe on site supplied fuel] that is it.

Now will these changes increase or reduce the membership in T850? Time will tell.

PostPosted: January 17th, 2013, 10:11 am   
Team Member

Hounddog wrote:
The T850 group has to decide if they want the class to be MOD or not. Partially MOD doesn't work. There are too many grey areas in a partially mod rule book and the rules are difficult or impossible to enforce. Stock Outboard currently has MOD Classes, so the SO members and executive of CBF would likely except MOD easier. You don't have to go into all the different tech specs in your proposal. Your just changing the class to Mod. T850 wants to reduce or eliminate tech inspections. MOD will do that. Safety inspection, weight limits and fuel test [maybe on site supplied fuel] that is it.

Now will these changes increase or reduce the membership in T850? Time will tell.
I would think that guys who don't want to run a modded engine would go to 750! It would be nice if the stock 56c.i. motors were allowed to run in 750 giving the class more boats![weight added to make them equal to existing 750 boats]!

PostPosted: January 17th, 2013, 10:49 am   
Team Member

[quote="SHIVERS Now will these changes increase or reduce the membership in T850? Time will tell.[/quote] I would think that guys who don't want to run a modded engine would go to 750! It would be nice if the stock 56c.i. motors were allowed to run in 750 giving the class more boats![weight added to make them equal to existing 750 boats]![/quote]

The current Fair Competition Rule allows that to happen it is all based on the competitive speed. If the T850 boat count is high, we will group the T850 boats in competitive heats. That was going to happen anyway changes or not. The possible new rules have got me thinking. I bet a 60 cubic Inch Mercury, ported, balanced, 650XS aluminium flywheel, 160 lb compression head. stainless steel ,bell shaped dry stacked tuner on a 30 Yamaha mid with the 30 hp nosed coned gearcase should be a nice combination.

PostPosted: January 17th, 2013, 10:55 am   
Team Member

SHIVERS wrote:
Hounddog wrote:

I would think that guys who don't want to run a modded engine would go to 750! It would be nice if the stock 56c.i. motors were allowed to run in 750 giving the class more boats![weight added to make them equal to existing 750 boats]!

I don't believe you can not add enough weight safely to a stock 56 (critch,delta,voodoo) to slow it down enough to be competitive with a T750 boat.

On the fuel, I think it is easier to test the fuel based on the stock outboard rules and the tester they use. As noted before some of the race fuels are legal for stock outboard, just because they are running them doesn't mean they are cheating, people run them for other benefits. Restricting the class to pump fuel will not prevent someone from running higher compression, the SST60 class is a pump fuel class and they run more compression then we do and they don't back the timing off. People can simply use additives (eg Aces) to increase octane in pump fuel (yes we can debate the validity of octance boosters til the cows come home) so why not let them run race fuel if that is what they want to because I don't think the restriction prevents anything. I'm not debating whether race fuel is better or necessary just trying to keeping the race day testing simple. If people think limiting the class to pump fuel will prevent people from running more compression then what is the prupose of the 160 rule, seems we would have two rules preventing the same thing. Just my thoughts.

Cheers,

PostPosted: January 17th, 2013, 12:01 pm   
Team Member

"Safety inspection, weight limits and fuel test [maybe on site supplied fuel] that is it."

You still need the 160 lb rule, it is the only thing keeping the "SST-60" engine from dominating. I understand they are in the 90 HP range at their 28.5cc 180lb compression.
They use "On site" fuel in other types of racing, good idea but complicates race day.
It would be helpful to define exactly what "Race fuel" is allowed in Stock O/B? Myself, having to buy race fuel is a pain I would rather avoid. My 2 cents.

PostPosted: January 17th, 2013, 12:14 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

daveee wrote:
"Safety inspection, weight limits and fuel test [maybe on site supplied fuel] that is it."

You still need the 160 lb rule, it is the only thing keeping the "SST-60" engine from dominating. I understand they are in the 90 HP range at their 28.5cc 180lb compression.
They use "On site" fuel in other types of racing, good idea but complicates race day.
It would be helpful to define exactly what "Race fuel" is allowed in Stock O/B? Myself, having to buy race fuel is a pain I would rather avoid. My 2 cents.

There is no reason that you would have to run race fuel Dave. Some guys (myself included) like to use it, especially during testing, for an added margin of safety. I'm too cheap to run it all the time and won't be going that direction no matter the rules. It does help with the cooling issue on the omc's too...

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: January 17th, 2013, 12:58 pm   
Team Member

One of the good things about this type of thread. Is it gets people thinking T Class in the off season.

The people trying to make rules changes, are now finding out how difficult it is to word the rules so everyone’s
interpretation is the same.

In the NEW T Booklet is our mission statement

QUOTE:
T Class Mission Statement and Compliance Agreement

Mission Statement

To promote T Boat Class Outboard Powerboat Racing in Ontario

Objectives

To provide the framework for everyone to enjoy the sport of T Boat powerboat racing
To welcome all people to T Boat Class powerboat racing and treat them equally
To ensure that those who experience T Boat Class powerboat racing are encouraged to continue.

Principles and Practices

T Class welcomes all participants and we rely on self-compliance and self-policing. Those that deliberately take unfair advantage of this or behave in an inappropriate manner, either on or off the water, can expect action to be taken against them.
Competitors agree to compete in compliance with the CBF rules and behave in accordance with accepted standards of powerboat racing. When involved in a genuine dispute, all parties to the dispute and those deciding the matter will use the established CBF procedures for achieving resolution.
Foul or abusive language, intimidation, aggressive behavior or lack of respect for others and their property will not be tolerated.
Organizers and officials at TORC/CBF racing events have agreed to provide the safest and fairest racing possible.
T Class members agree to encourage competitors to compete, and behave in compliance with the above principles and practices. T Class is consistent with the practices of the Canadian Boating Federation.

A Key part of the statement is:
we rely on self-compliance and self-policing

One reason T Class has grown is the support, friendly competition and honesty of the class members.
T Guys also speak their minds!
I don’t know of a T racer who is racing for anything other than having fun and enjoying friendships.
Most if not all T racers don’t care what motor mods if any another racer has. T racing History has shown driving and step-up is the key not the motor mods.
We have simple rules and we group racers in heats where they are competitive.

We could go MOD, but what real difference would it make?
I suggest we keep it simple, as it is. Relying on self-compliance and self-policing
If someone wants to run a light flywheel for example, I don’t think anyone in T really cares. BE HONEST! Just indicate the Mods you have on your inspectors spec sheet. If it makes a competitive difference, we will address it then.

PostPosted: January 17th, 2013, 1:25 pm   
Team Member

daveee wrote:

Yup agreed Dave the 160lb rule stays and easy to test.

What I don't follow is the logic or purpose of the pump fuel only, and what it is trying to prevent. No one has to run race fuel it's a personal choice if you want to run it in a 160lb compression motor, it's like debating what brand of oil you run and at what ratio. You could have run race fuel in your 25 if it passed the fuel test for SO, and some of the race fuel is legal per that testing. Does it mean you need or should run it no, personal choice and people can figure out what is right for them on their own. My thought is if we follow the SO fuel testing rules it's simple, efficient and accurate. Top three boats simple dip of the test probe, pass/fail, done. Guys who think they are going to be top three would be wise to get fuel tested before hand, some pump fuel does not pass as has been seen at the races, it's not that guys are trying to cheat but some pump gas has additives that doesn't pass. Just trying to keep things simple in my eyes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next