It is currently June 22nd, 2024, 6:29 am

T-boats

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 PostPosted: April 21st, 2012, 9:55 am   
Team Member

DoktorC wrote:
LittleCharger wrote:
WalkWithMax wrote:
I keep thinking about that old dunnville footage... The front two boats were having their own race! That's not much fun for the others, is it? .

I think you will find that as long as you a battling for a position whether it's first or 5th you will have the time of your life. Remember if you get a lousy start it's tough to make that up unless you are alot faster. I think if we get a good turn out we will be able to group the boats accordingly and have some good racing, Dunnville worked out really well with the boat groupings.

LC is exactly right...there is always someone to race. If you're focused on running at the front you won't have fun and you'll miss out of the actual enjoyment of competition. We're racing for the love of racing..there's no prize money or trophies...or even dancing girls :)...so be prepared to smile. There are boats and drivers of all skill level so you'll have someone to chase or lead....it's more fun in "the pack" trust me :).

Sounds good Dok! There will be no lack of smiles per hour!! :) I can't wait to get out there!!! 8-)

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: April 21st, 2012, 10:08 am   
Team Member

[quote="WalkWithMax"I look forward to seeing the different boat motor options for T class! If T750 approaches 60mph, that would be cool, but I think 55 is more realistic though? It wouldn't be fun for a guy to run a low 50's boat against a low 60's boat... I keep thinking about that old dunnville footage... The front two boats were having their own race! That's not much fun for the others, is it? This is such a tight knit group. I'm sure we can keep a fairly level playing field and make it fun for all.[/quote]

Dave your 100% correct about that old Dunnville Race with Jim and Rob in their own race. There was always a big difference between the top 1, 2 or 3 boats and the rest of the field. Getting lapped on the 4 th lap on the mile to mile and a quarter course was common. That was the main reason why so much time and effort was spent in testing and on the rules in T Class. So far the FUN LEVEL and the competition has been better than expected. People ask me why I spend so much time mentioning possible problems when we don't currently appear to have any. It's all about communication. In the past we never had ways of communication like these GREAT sites. There are no surprises for any one in T class that follows the sites or is in contact with a T class member. This is a big advantage when we have our class meetings. We have been able to reach agreement in minutes.

Dave, we will not know the true speed range in T750 until we get a few of them with different combinations out on the oval. I hope there in the 55 mph to 58 mph range. Little Charger opened our eyes with that 59 mph GPS reading. Plus Paul finished 3rd in points running with the T850 guys. IMPRESSIVE OR WHAT!! To-day I have 4 GPS readings. Eric's VooDoo was low 50's . Eric has some props and set up changes in the works, 2 T750 boats in Britain were 54 mph with Tohatsu 50 motors. Jeremy Dunn raced a celled EP with a 50 tohatsu in the early 90's and appears to be running in the mid 50's looking at the old videos.

Dave, now just a quick comment about that T850 Allision of yours. I know the prop your running now. To perfectly honest. That prop was the poorest performing prop ever tested on a T Boat. For that boat to perform like it does tells me three things. [1] you got a very good motor. [2] the initial set-up is close to bang on [3] with the right prop you will be at least! 4 mph faster. It is exactly what we like to see in the class. Dave it will be up to you the driver how well you do.
Last... what Little Charger and Doc have said is true. Your focus in the race is the boat ahead and the boat behind.
There is so much going on just racing where you are in the race. That you don't think about the rest of the group. And you will be tired after back to back heats.

PostPosted: April 21st, 2012, 10:13 am   
Team Member

WalkWithMax wrote:
[ I'm so used to running first place in practice, so 5th will take some getting used too. :)

I got yeah first heat in Waterford buddy...Don, I want this guy make it happen call his agent! :lol:

PostPosted: April 21st, 2012, 10:41 am   
Team Member

Hounddog wrote:
I know the prop your running now. To perfectly honest. That prop was the poorest performing prop ever tested on a T Boat.

Actually I ran 57.8 with that prop at Waterford, just found that a prop with a little more diameter held the speed a little better in the corners on my boat.

PostPosted: April 21st, 2012, 11:27 am   
Team Member

LittleCharger wrote:
Hounddog wrote:
I know the prop your running now. To perfectly honest. That prop was the poorest performing prop ever tested on a T Boat.

Actually I ran 57.8 with that prop at Waterford, just found that a prop with a little more diameter held the speed a little better in the corners on my boat.

Paul, thanks for the correction. I must have been thinking of another prop. YEP! for T750 Waterford 57.8 is quick. Ryley ran 59.9 with a Formula E 49 cubic inch and Dave Whittington ran 60.4 with a 56'r at Waterford. Paul is your T750 motor for sale?

PostPosted: April 21st, 2012, 12:15 pm   
Team Member

Hounddog wrote:
Paul is your T750 motor for sale?

Not at this point, once I get the other delta finished will see if my son has interest in running T750. If he has no interest this could become part of your program as the HPBCCanada demo Tboat

PostPosted: April 21st, 2012, 12:53 pm   
Team Member

Thanks to all for your thoughts! I am super happy with my T boat so far!

The prop I got from "The Gun" says 11.25" Dia on it. Most guys are running 12" right? I have seen over 66 GPS with it and I am very happy overall with how it hooks up and carries the boat! If I was to run any faster, I think safety would be a concern...

I am running at tilt postion #3. The boat runs awesome going straight, settles down great in turns and I just can't believe how easy it is to drive now. I have tried it at tilt #2, but the bow doesn't carry. It also runs really wobbly in the corners!

The thing I like about T class is how there are so many different boats! Each boat has its own personality and handling characteristics. I'm just so glad that I have a boat to run this year!! 8-)

PostPosted: April 21st, 2012, 3:02 pm   
Team Member

WalkWithMax wrote:
Says 11.25" Dia on it. Most guys are running 12" right? I have seen over 66 GPS with it and I am very happy overall with how it hooks up and carries the boat! If I was to run any faster, I think safety would be a concern...

Correct most run 12 to 12 1/2. The catch is... SOME run varied pitch props. The pitch is different on different areas of the prop. The difference can be 2 to 3 degrees. Example outside 2 inches- 21 pitch, middle 2 inches- 22 pitch, inside 2 inches- 23 pitch. 11 1/4 seems small for a nitro case, but it is obviously working WELL on your boat.

At 66 on GPS it is only the very top guys that will catch you in a clean open water run. Now the true test is....How fast will it run in 3 foot waves with 8 other boats 5 feet apart and so much spray in your face that you can't see to even find the line or clean water and knowing that if you back off that Scott Whittington has that big blue Baker nose right on your inside shoulder ready to take your position....NOW THAT'S RACING!
Doc's seen that blue nose many times over his shoulder and knows the feeling

Last edited by Hounddog on April 21st, 2012, 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 21st, 2012, 3:10 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Hounddog wrote:

At 66 on GPS it is only the very top guys that will catch you in a clean open water run. Now the true test is....How fast will it run in 3 foot waves with 8 other boats 5 feet apart and so much spray in your face that you can't see to even find the line or clean water and knowing that if you back off that Scott Whittington has that big blue Baker nose right on your inside shoulder ready to take your position....NOW THAT'S RACING!
Doc's see that blue nose many times over his shoulder and knows the feeling

You begin to wonder..."are his glasses fogged up???"

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: April 21st, 2012, 10:14 pm   
Team Member

Hounddog wrote:

Correct most run 12 to 12 1/2. The catch is... SOME run varied pitch props. The pitch is different on different areas of the prop. The difference can be 2 to 3 degrees. Example outside 2 inches- 21 pitch, middle 2 inches- 22 pitch, inside 2 inches- 23 pitch. 11 1/4 seems small for a nitro case, but it is obviously working WELL on your boat.

Doc's seen that blue nose many times over his shoulder and knows the feeling

More info on the prop... I talked to Paul today. He was very surprised to hear how well my boat runs top end. He said it is his crappiest prop! It is a progressive pitch prop ranging from 22-24 pitch, also has a lot of rake and trailing edge cupping! I am turning 6200rpm. The prop calculator says 13% slip... is that about right? I suppose I could turn more rpms with another prop and get more acceleration out of the corners, but whatever... I'm really happy as is if you haven't noticed!! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next