It is currently April 28th, 2024, 4:12 am

Let me provide some invaluable worldly wisom (venting)

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 11th, 2012, 9:51 am   
Team Member

Step 1.

Contrary to what readers digest has told you..... Most repair facilities that have been in business for many, many years are NOT trying to screw you. Period.

Step 2.

Do NOT assume that when you saved $5.00 and bought a product in the United States or another NON-local establishment, that your local repair facility OWES you FREE time spent on your nit-picking complaints and concerns. BUY where you SERVICE. PERIOD!

Step 3.

When a repair facility goes out of there way to come to your home or other place of crisis to HELP you free of charge in a time of need (out of warranty breakdown or failure of some kind) and gets you going in a pinch.... DO NOT price the eventual repair elsewhere.

Step 4.

Always put yourself in the employee's shoes when you are in a retail environment.

Stay Classy... FFS!

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: October 11th, 2012, 11:11 am   
HPBC PRESIDENT

I see it's another day in Customer Service Paradice...

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: October 11th, 2012, 4:30 pm   
Team Member

we always expect when the shoe in on the other foot that we will get what we give..... customer service paradise LOL living the same dream in the city, I just blame it on the city customers, you mean to tel me its like this everywhere? crap, there goes my retirement dream LOL

Last edited by beavertonae-21 on October 11th, 2012, 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: October 11th, 2012, 8:41 pm   
Team Member

I'm up for buying local instead of in the US, until the price differential becomes crazy. Sometimes it is.

PostPosted: October 11th, 2012, 8:52 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

David wrote:
I'm up for buying local instead of in the US, until the price differential becomes crazy. Sometimes it is.

Buying in the US isn't a big deal...the expectation of the local dealer caring if you have an issue with said purchase is a whole different ball of wax. I've had customers drive 300kms to save $500 on a snowmobile....then come in and expect the same level (read fast) of service as the people that bought from me....ahhhhh no sir. Service costs money so if you're out to save you must know that most of the time it's at the expense of service. For a DIY guy like most of us good service isn't an issue.... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: October 11th, 2012, 10:10 pm   
Team Member

I'll share my feelings about this (owning a small business).

Take what you can get.
Only deal with the people you like (ie. people that actually pay and trust you)
The stress isn't worth caring that much, people naturally are dumb, trust yourself after all it is your business.
In my experience, many people are out to get you in business, and give the rest of us a bad name. Sucks, but true.
By only dealing with the good ones, you will refine your customer base over time giving you longevity.

It doesn't matter who bought what where, it really doesn't, the world has changed, we all need to see this. It's how we react that will make the difference. Having the attitude that a guy saved $500 and you won't give him adequate service burns me. I realize it rubs people the wrong way, but you need to step back and look at it from their position, $500 is $500. I'd drive 300km for that (so would you)! And YOU just missed the opportunity to prove to someone that you are the bigger person, and maybe you missed a sale next time around. Take what you can get!!!!

Tell him "I'm not happy that you bought somewhere else, I want you to buy here, and I want your service here, so I'm going to get you going, but remember me next time around!" OR If he's just a weinnie, tell him to shove it up his proverbial arse, sit on it and rotate, and don't ever come back.... lol.

Cheers, just my 2c

PostPosted: October 11th, 2012, 11:21 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

CCI wrote:

Take what you can get.
The stress isn't worth caring that much, people naturally are dumb, trust yourself after all it is your business.
In my experience, many people are out to get you in business, and give the rest of us a bad name. Sucks, but true.
By only dealing with the good ones, you will refine your customer base over time giving you longevity.

It doesn't matter who bought what where, it really doesn't, the world has changed, we all need to see this. It's how we react that will make the difference. Having the attitude that a guy saved $500 and you won't give him adequate service burns me. I realize it rubs people the wrong way, but you need to step back and look at it from their position, $500 is $500. I'd drive 300km for that (so would you)! And YOU just missed the opportunity to prove to someone that you are the bigger person, and maybe you missed a sale next time around. Take what you can get!!!!

Tell him "I'm not happy that you bought somewhere else, I want you to buy here, and I want your service here, so I'm going to get you going, but remember me next time around!" OR If he's just a weinnie, tell him to shove it up his proverbial arse, sit on it and rotate, and don't ever come back.... lol.

Cheers, just my 2c

See...this really depends on the position of the business...I agree, if you're hungry you need to eat shit sometimes and take the service business. I've been there and learned the lessons. The guy who you bend over backwards for and give the deal to is the first guy to stick it to you OR he will have issues that you've got to take care of (which always cost $$). The guy who will drive the 300kms to save a nickel will do so next time no matter how good the service...he will not see the correlation. I will NOT drive that far to save $500 on any type of new vehicle....it's not worth the time, effort or FUEL. I couldn't face the service manager the first time it needed an oil change. At our place our customers come first...everyone gets the same level of service (all the same guys work on the stuff using the same tools and parts) but if you buy your boat from me and dock with me and store with me you come first...the guy with the bass pro tracker does NOT come before a Crestliner in our shop. It just would be fair to those who fully support us. This attitude does not cost sales. I always sell this aspect of the business first...you buy here you will be taken care of here. People appreciate the dedication to our customers. Of course Mitch and I both work at well established dealerships so its easier....remember I'm not saying we don't do the work or take care of these customers just that they don't come before those that support us. AND sometimes you just need to rant because you have to bite your tongue at work....

PostPosted: October 12th, 2012, 12:48 am   
Team Member

It is really tough as most people expect something for nothing or next to nothing. The biggest companies that think small are the ones that survive and thrive. It is way more difficult to land a new customer or client than to keep existing ones happy.

To be honest I have completely changed my outlook on customer service over the past number of years. The person on the other side of the desk, phone, etc. probably isn't trying to screw you. Sure there are exceptions. Typically though they are trying to make a living for them and their family just like you. Getting upset at them doesn't solve anything. If one expects a high level of service or product than they should also expect to PAY for it.

Charger 18 DL, 2.6L Yamaha

Last edited by dubber on October 20th, 2012, 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: October 12th, 2012, 5:11 pm   
Team Member

Interesting topic, but easy to see where it would go cause it's certainly one where everyone could have an opinion.

I thought I'd just add a recent experience that I found quite interesting.

Bought my Mustang last year at a dealer in Kingston. Took it back there shortly afterwards because it needed an alignment, which they promptly took care of....no issues. This year I started having a problem with the driver's side power seat so I called that dealer even though the one here in Belleville is much more convenient for me. While trying to schedule an appointment that would be convenient for me since I would need to take the day off work, the lady suggested I take the car to the dealer in Belleville. Question.......since this is warranty work and also since I didn't buy the car in Belleville wouldn't that dealer be unhappy with me if I took it to them for the repair?

PostPosted: October 12th, 2012, 5:40 pm   
Team Member

DoktorC wrote:
CCI wrote:

Take what you can get.

Cheers, just my 2c

See...this really depends on the position of the business...I agree, if you're hungry you need to eat shit sometimes and take the service business. I've been there and learned the lessons. The guy who you bend over backwards for and give the deal to is the first guy to stick it to you OR he will have issues that you've got to take care of (which always cost $$). The guy who will drive the 300kms to save a nickel will do so next time no matter how good the service...he will not see the correlation. I will NOT drive that far to save $500 on any type of new vehicle....it's not worth the time, effort or FUEL. I couldn't face the service manager the first time it needed an oil change. At our place our customers come first...everyone gets the same level of service (all the same guys work on the stuff using the same tools and parts) but if you buy your boat from me and dock with me and store with me you come first...the guy with the bass pro tracker does NOT come before a Crestliner in our shop. It just would be fair to those who fully support us. This attitude does not cost sales. I always sell this aspect of the business first...you buy here you will be taken care of here. People appreciate the dedication to our customers. Of course Mitch and I both work at well established dealerships so its easier....remember I'm not saying we don't do the work or take care of these customers just that they don't come before those that support us. AND sometimes you just need to rant because you have to bite your tongue at work....

You nailed it right there DoktorC I had a guy not by a product from me for a 40$ difference at the sled show last year he said he would rather drive to he Detroit and get it from the dealer there than pay the 40$ he did live in London but that's still 4hrs there and back, it makes no sense.

http://thundercatracingna.com/

Profile Send private message WWW