It is currently April 28th, 2024, 1:34 am

anyone hear about wildcats (Tom) accident ?

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 9th, 2012, 8:30 am   
Team Member

I just heard this morning.

Steve

Last edited by beavertonae-21 on October 9th, 2012, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: October 9th, 2012, 9:11 am   

i did on fbc, he hit a wave in some wind,,f****d up his day quik

19' tempest picklefork 84 mod vpcarb 102mph

PostPosted: October 9th, 2012, 9:11 am   
HPBC PRESIDENT

I talked to Tom after getting a text from Lee....he's banged up pretty good but alive. From what I understand he hit a wake with some wind...the boat went up and landed hard pitching him out. Luckily he was wearing a life jacket and had guys close enough to pull him and the boat out of the lake.

This really drives home the fact that what we're doing is dangerous....the DL is one of the safest boats there is and Tom has tonnes of seat time so no one is immune. If you don't have a lifeline...get one!!

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: October 9th, 2012, 9:38 am   
Team Member

Glad to hear he had a jacket on. Toms a great guy to have around and I'm happy to hear we still do!!
Scary stuff
Did Tom/boat get banged up at all?

PostPosted: October 9th, 2012, 10:10 am   

No damage report yet, it would be intrested to see some pics.

19' tempest picklefork 84 mod vpcarb 102mph

PostPosted: October 9th, 2012, 10:17 am   
HPBC PRESIDENT

p man wrote:

Tom was knocked unconcious coming out of the boat so he's got some stitches on his head and his lower body is banged up from coming out from under the dash. From what I understand the boat or at least the engine was submerged but the guys got it running while Tom took an ambulance ride.

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: October 9th, 2012, 10:58 am   
Team Member

Oh Man :shock:
Tom I hope you take a little break from everything and just focus on getting well.
This is scary as shit and hopefully if any good comes out of it someone will read this and decide to wear their jacket.

PostPosted: October 9th, 2012, 11:13 am   
Team Member

DoktorC wrote:
p man wrote:

Tom was knocked unconcious coming out of the boat so he's got some stitches on his head and his lower body is banged up from coming out from under the dash. From what I understand the boat or at least the engine was submerged but the guys got it running while Tom took an ambulance ride.

Glad to hear Tom is going to be ok.

This just reconfirms what everyone has always said it's the ride out of the boat that does all the damage and this is where the lifeline or security jackets excel in providing more impact protection then the everyday ski vest. If you can afford the boat you can afford the proper lifejacket...if you can't afford the jacket you can't afford the boat...that's my thinking.

Both SRP and Lifeline typically have discounts in the month of December.

http://www.securityrace.com/home.html

I have SRP jackets and really like them. I have the EZ fit one that I use for racing (adjustable for friends and it's actually cheaper to purchase as it's not a custom fit jacket), I also have the non-adjustable inboard jacket that I had them make in silver (the color of the chute jacket on the site) figured I'd be more inclined to wear it instead of a bright orange jacket.

Cheers,

PostPosted: October 9th, 2012, 1:06 pm   
Team Member

I heard on FBC, from my mom who lives 4 houses down from where they pulled up on shore, and one of the neighbours down the street right where it happened. The neighbour has an stv euro, and he said it really hit home when he and his son scrambled to help, then saw the other boaters doing a fantastic job on their own. He said it happened so quick there wouldn't have been time to react, and he took the opportunity (as grave as it is) to instill in his son how important a proper pfd really is.

PostPosted: October 9th, 2012, 2:49 pm   
Team Member

Hey Guys:

I'm Ok. Still spinning from the concussion and the whole experience.
We were coming north on the West side of Chemong Lake and even though it wasn't that ruff I could feel some gusts of wind as we were headed up the lake. I was in the middle of Harrington's narrows (I think) and I ran head first into a big gust of wind, and it lifted me way up. Must have hit the windshield and steering wheel when I came down. Knocked me out, then spit me out.
Mark and Wayne pulled me out of the water about 50' away from the mostly sunk boat. I came too in Mark's boat and was taken by EMS to the hospital.
Murph and Shane started on the Boat. Getting it to shore, then went to get my trailer. They drained it and the engine and got it running right away.
The Boat is pretty smashed up (split and cracked most of the way) on the drivers side and the engine cowl is toast.
Steering wheel is bent, not sure about the rack? I'm waiting for the insurance adjustor before I do anything to it. Handle on the throttle is broken off. Windshield is toast. Back seat is broken and some of the upholstery is ripped. There are some scrapes and chips on the bottom from dragging it out.

Luckily I had my PFD and engine tether on, and landed in the water on my back. I didn't have my helmet on (had it with me though in case it started to rain). I think if I had it on, it would have broken my neck and or drowned me.

It's still pretty surreal, but I have to give BIG thanks to the guys who were with me and the folks on shore for helping me. I probably wouldn't be around - if it wasn't for them.

It's been said before, and I'll say it again - wear your lifejacket and tether. Eventhough your a good swimmer - you might not have the chance to even know your in the water, and it will be too late

Thanks for everybodys well wishes