It is currently April 28th, 2024, 11:32 am

Found a Gem!

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 16th, 2012, 6:31 pm   
Team Member

Ive been looking for a sign like this for over a year now. I wanted one a little smaller lol but this was awesome I couldnt refuse! Considering its the first real original one i have even seen, let alone for sale!

Its about 3ft x 4ft double sided

Gotta love barn finds!

Wondering your opinions on what its worth, or what you would pay for it. Real hard to find thats forsure!

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: September 16th, 2012, 7:29 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

SlowBoater wrote:
Ive been looking for a sign like this for over a year now. I wanted one a little smaller lol but this was awesome I couldnt refuse! Considering its the first real original one i have even seen, let alone for sale!

Gotta love barn finds!

Wondering your opinions on what its worth, or what you would pay for it. Real hard to find thats forsure!

I've got the same sign but lit! I found it upstairs in our old marina building before we tore it down....it's like new...well one side is like new the other side has a hole punched in it. No idea on it's worth but a cool find for sure!

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: September 16th, 2012, 7:56 pm   
Team Member

DoktorC wrote:
SlowBoater wrote:

Gotta love barn finds!

I've got the same sign but lit! I found it upstairs in our old marina building before we tore it down....it's like new...well one side is like new the other side has a hole punched in it. No idea on it's worth but a cool find for sure!

That's cool! I actually found the light up version on eBay today when I googled it. Guy was asking $300.

I'd say this one wa a bit older. I'd assume worth a little more then that but not sure!

Cheers

PostPosted: September 17th, 2012, 1:06 am   

It's only worth what someone is willing too pay for it ;)

19' tempest picklefork 84 mod vpcarb 102mph

PostPosted: September 17th, 2012, 11:29 am   
HPBC PRESIDENT

SlowBoater wrote:

Gotta love barn finds!

thats cool ... i have two of those and a couple of my friends have a bunch... i am surprised it took you so long to find...

PostPosted: September 17th, 2012, 12:44 pm   
Team Member

OneCycle wrote:
SlowBoater wrote:

Gotta love barn finds!

thats cool ... i have two of those and a couple of my friends have a bunch... i am surprised it took you so long to find...

2 eh! How much you want for them. I may want them!! Lol. You got a pic of them?

PostPosted: September 17th, 2012, 12:50 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

SlowBoater wrote:

i'm just fucking with you .. i dont have any or know of any..

PostPosted: September 17th, 2012, 1:15 pm   
Team Member

Thats a cool garage piece!
In this 'the home of fresh water lakes' and twice as many old Merc dealers I can't imagine that the sign is worth much though. I wouldn't get into the sign buying buisness if you want to make a buck these days. I blame shows like American Pickers and Pawn Stars for situations like this lol

PostPosted: September 17th, 2012, 1:50 pm   
Team Member

OneCycle wrote:
SlowBoater wrote:

i'm just fucking with you .. i dont have any or know of any..

Lmao I thought so.......

PostPosted: September 17th, 2012, 1:57 pm   
Team Member

p man wrote:
Thats a cool garage piece!
In this 'the home of fresh water lakes' and twice as many old Merc dealers I can't imagine that the sign is worth much though. I wouldn't get into the sign buying buisness if you want to make a buck these days. I blame shows like American Pickers and Pawn Stars for situations like this lol

For the most part signs arnt worth much, and you really have to know what your looking for. Old Merc signs are pretty rare, I dont care what anyone thinks, they are. But again, you need to know what your looking for.

The guy I got this one off had an old interstate battery sign, was cool looking, but because of 1 minor detail, it was worth $2000, id never pay that to hang on the wall! lol

I had this sign appraised by a sign guy today and he valued it at between $800-1200 or possible more if I found the right guy to buy it. He offered me $800 for it and he would be buying to resell. I was VERY happy to hear that, and I wont tell you what I paid!! lol but when I saw it in the barn i assumed the guy would want around 800, when he told me the price I said sold right away! The guy I showed it to hadnt seen one in about 10 years, so they are hard to find!

I still want a few more, but just small ones

Cheers