It is currently April 27th, 2024, 3:35 pm

residential HVAC?

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 24th, 2012, 3:38 pm   
Team Member

Anyone here in the HVAC business? Have some questions about types of furnaces.

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: July 24th, 2012, 4:33 pm   
Team Member

I have a High Velocity Aquarius Catamaran. It has a wicked furnace on the back!

PostPosted: July 24th, 2012, 7:07 pm   
Team Member

I can help you with your 350ton chiller, let me have a go at your question! I know others here have knowledge of hvac as well!

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: July 24th, 2012, 7:41 pm   
Team Member

sheuninck wrote:
I have a High Velocity Aquarius Catamaran. It has a wicked furnace on the back!

haha :) good one

SHIVERS wrote:
I can help you with your 350ton chiller, let me have a go at your question! I know others here have knowledge of hvac as well!

basically:
1500 sq ft home, not counting basement.
used as cottage, only used thanksgiving, Christmas week and maybe 3-4 other weekends during the heating season. Rest of the time it is kept at 9 degrees just so it doesn't completely freeze up and if furnace fails it gives me time to get someone there.
- currently have 15 year old oil furnace in need of about $400 in parts/labour repairs... so figure I'll get a new one.
- with that furnace we cost about $700 per year of oil (less than a tank).
- this amount of running leads to issues... told oil can go bad (organic growth or something, clog things?) We are always having issues anyway.
- new furnace... trying to decide between electric and propane.
- I'm told propane is 75% cost of oil (so for us about about $525), electric is 125% of oil (so about $875) to operate I'm told.
- propane has $70 yearly tank rental (so $595 now), few hundred dollar tank install connection (Say $300 over 15 years $20, so $615).
- propane every 2 year cleaning (Say $150, $75 per year, now at $690)
- Electric every 4 year cleaning (Say $150, $38 per year, now at $913)
- Time of use hydro billing, so can pump heat up a couple degrees during cheap time and float through expensive times if electric furnace. Maybe save a few $$.
- So running cost is maybe $180-$220 diff a year.
- electric has no worries about delivery charges/wondering how full the tanks are and how close to running out while not there.

So electric seems to be very hassle free... little worry about house while being 3 hours away, tempted to go for it... just wondered if I was missing anything and what brand maybe to look at. Don't need a premier line with lots of bells and whistles since it's only keeping place above zero most the time.

If anyone here was an installer... location is Belleville/Kingston area. Or if you could provide even MSRP of some units so I can see if I'm getting taken by local installers.

Andrew

PostPosted: July 24th, 2012, 7:49 pm   
Team Member

My bet is the future of electricity is higher rates. I'd stick with propane, but that's just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2012, 7:53 pm   
Team Member

David wrote:
My bet is the future of electricity is higher rates. I'd stick with propane, but that's just my 2 cents.

I was told propane is a by product of oil, so I figured it is as likely to go up?

PostPosted: July 25th, 2012, 7:54 am   
Team Member

there are many variables that change the most efficient and cost effective fuel choice! heat cycles,degrees/hr. rise design,location and power availability [building electrical service]!
I will be seeing to my hvac genious tomorrow and get his recomendation for brands,that are troublefree! I have a york heat pump that has been heating/cooling a 3000sq./ft. house for 20 yrs. without a service call! I don't think you can beat that!

PostPosted: July 25th, 2012, 8:07 am   
Team Member

When our AC dies a heat pump would be nice. Especially if the winters stay as warm as last year.

When talking to your buddy... propane and electric recommendations or brands to avoid would be great.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2012, 12:42 pm   
Team Member

Interested to hear your buddy's comments as well. We've got an 18 year old oil-fired system (Grimsby) that may need a major overhaul in the next year. Anyone have any comments about the tankless water heating systems?

PostPosted: July 25th, 2012, 6:21 pm   
Team Member

I see commercial equipment every day, but hardly do any residential. I can vouch for "Lennox" being a good name. "York" was bought out by another company, so i'm not sure if the quality is still there or not, (probably not, but they did make good 350ton chillers haha).
Sounds like you got the numbers figured out already! Everyone is going to propane, and I don't think it's for no reason. But if you use it as rarely as you say, electrical might be the slightly more expensive, but hassle free option. Personally, i would plan for the worst; get a properly sized propane furnace and you won't have to worry about it not doing the job. Just my 2 cents