It is currently April 16th, 2024, 4:08 pm

Snap-On Tools - Venting/Rant

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 16th, 2016, 7:33 pm   

I've spent considerable $ over the years on Snap-On stuff. Their hands tools are generally great. Since I recently moved to Calgary, I need a new dealer. Snap-on does not list them on their website, you have to call head office. So I call them, they ask if I'm a shop or an individual, I tell the truth (I don't run a business), and they tell me they can't provide the name of my local dealer ! WTF ! They say I have to order off the website or call in my order. When I explain I want to take a look at a couple tools before buying, the lady says "oh that makes sense, but sorry we can't help you." Getting frustrated, I then played this card (also the truth): "My employer has a multi-million dollar industrial contract with you, can I talk to your industrial guys ?" (different department from automotive). They connect me, and he was equally useless. I'm a loyal customer actually trying to buy more of their over-priced product, and nobody wants to sell to me.

To top this off, I actually also want warranty replacements on some shitty screwdrivers I bought ~2 years ago. They finally started making Robertson sets (a nod to us Canucks); I only started using mine in the last few months doing a whole bunch of wiring work. I wore out the #1 and #2 in a few months of use. The tips are SUPER soft. I have some older Craftmans that lasted 10+ years, these are shit.

Anybody else have similar experiences ?

Matt

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: June 16th, 2016, 7:39 pm   
Team Member

We have a few locals that wait in the dealership parking lot on fridays (the day he visits us). Call a local garage, find out what day the truck shows up and just approach the vendor. He's not likely going to turn down a paying customer. Buy some tools, get his number, then hit him with the warranty stuff afterwards. If he knows you're a repeat paying customer, he will help you out.

PostPosted: June 16th, 2016, 9:04 pm   

Local Snappy guy was in the other day and dropped off a flyer(keep in mind I've been wrenching for a living since the early 80's) and his 1/4 drive set was over G note with the tax.Really?

PostPosted: June 16th, 2016, 9:13 pm   
Team Member

CVX20 wrote:
Local Snappy guy was in the other day and dropped off a flyer(keep in mind I've been wrenching for a living since the early 80's) and his 1/4 drive set was over G note with the tax.Really?

Yeah, that was in the father's day flyer, and the top of the line 1/4" set. Not trying to justify it, there's no way I'd be buying that lol

PostPosted: June 17th, 2016, 7:19 am   
Team Member

Would never buy their product again.....called Snap-on to get my torque wrench fixed a couple months ago. The on/off clicker jammed. They told me it was not repairable and I would have to purchase a new one and yet only offer a 1 year warranty on a new one for $ 350.00...forget that bought one a Canadian tire on sale for $ 50.00 for the same 1 year warranty and it works just fine. It is also about 4 inches longer so it is easier to use at higher torque setting.

12' tinny - 9.9 merc

PostPosted: June 26th, 2016, 8:18 am   

ive got a fair amount of strap-on stuff that ive collected over about 40 years or so.
some of their spanners are comfortable to hold and do look nice when give a wipe over.
They also look great to customers who like to see the coco cola type branding on your work bench.

But seriously, they are way over priced, and warranty not as good as it looks first hand.
lifetime warranty on some stuff, but you have to produce original sales receipts ,? that's bullshit.

I think now is the time to just go look for all good used old german and old English stuff.
Strap-On have had their day.

PostPosted: June 26th, 2016, 10:38 am   

Yup I'm done with them. Haven't had a dealer come to the shop in about ten years. Can't get one to either, they don't want the business. Canadian tire and princess auto now. There business model is thirty years outdated.