It is currently September 28th, 2024, 2:16 pm

Mack's Allison

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 12th, 2012, 10:28 pm   
Team Member

A fellow Six Miler, Mack, has refurbished and built the sweetest classic Allison in Muskoka with a 115 Tower Of Power.
Its a 1981 Allison 15r with a 1984 115 inline 6.
My dad and I got a chance to film some footage of him ripping up the lake.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9ux5fwmHxU

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: September 12th, 2012, 10:45 pm   
Team Member

Flying nice and high! Sweet flybys

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: September 12th, 2012, 10:45 pm   
Team Member

There are also pics at: http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h349/krisluks/

PostPosted: September 12th, 2012, 11:09 pm   
Team Member

Gotta provide background.
Growin up on 6ML, Mack's Dad and his pals had some of the fastest boats around, used to race.
I would run down to the shore when they flew by.
Mack bought a wreck of an Allison couple of years ago, spent those couple of years stripping, building the boat you see in the vids/pics, acquiring parts for boat and tower of power.
Without a doubt this is the sweetest old school rig on 6ML, possibly Muskoka. The refurbishment is immaculate, attention to detail admirable. Mack did it all himself; he just finished grade 12 last spring, off to university.
Kris and I offeered to shoot pics/vid to share this gem with those that appreciate the finer things; some fly by's are ridin high for show, others at pefect tilt, a classic Muskoka summer evening on 6ML.
Mack, Congrats on a sweet ride!

PostPosted: September 12th, 2012, 11:35 pm   
Team Member

Those are some awesome shots guys! I love red boats!

Charger 18 DL, 2.6L Yamaha

PostPosted: September 13th, 2012, 10:54 am   
Team Member

Erik gave a pretty good background on the boat, but I figured I should give a more detailed history on it, since it is mine.
Found it on S&F late 2007, and drove down to Long Island the first weekend of December to pick up a beat up, empty shell of a race boat, and brought it back driving through 6-8inches of snow at some points. Over the next 2 years we gutted what was left of it, replaced some balsa, new stringer, ribs and floor, for some reason not the transom, so I'm replacing that next winter, since this winter I'm repainting my 16' sidewinder/clone. The allison went to SML the weekend before Victoria Day in 2010, and since then I'm still tweaking the setup, and trying different props (since the best prop I had threw a blade...). It gets 69mph on gps, but I've got low slip so I'm raising the motor when the boat goes into storage, I need to get back over 70mph. But for a 28 year old ski motor, its not a bad speed.

Also as Erik said, my dad had speed boats since back in 1972, he had a Checkmate MX-13, then he had a 16' sidewinder ss that could have been the fastest sidewinder at the time, he claims 72 or 76 was the fastest speed he got out of it, and when you see pictures of it, you can believe it. He got out of fast boats in the 80's, and then in 2005 bought a fully restored 1972 Checkmate MX-13, with a 1996 Johnson 56ci longshaft 70, and when I drove it at 12 years old is where my addiction started, and it shows no signs of slowing down.

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: September 13th, 2012, 11:09 am   
HPBC PRESIDENT

TNT Teen wrote:
Erik gave a pretty good background on the boat, but I figured I should give a more detailed history on it, since it is mine.
Found it on S&F late 2007, and drove down to Long Island the first weekend of December to pick up a beat up, empty shell of a race boat, and brought it back driving through 6-8inches of snow at some points. Over the next 2 years we gutted what was left of it, replaced some balsa, new stringer, ribs and floor, for some reason not the transom, so I'm replacing that next winter, since this winter I'm repainting my 16' sidewinder/clone. The allison went to SML the weekend before Victoria Day in 2010, and since then I'm still tweaking the setup, and trying different props (since the best prop I had threw a blade...). It gets 69mph on gps, but I've got low slip so I'm raising the motor when the boat goes into storage, I need to get back over 70mph. But for a 28 year old ski motor, its not a bad speed.

Also as Erik said, my dad had speed boats since back in 1972, he had a Checkmate MX-13, then he had a 16' sidewinder ss that could have been the fastest sidewinder at the time, he claims 72 or 76 was the fastest speed he got out of it, and when you see pictures of it, you can believe it. He got out of fast boats in the 80's, and then in 2005 bought a fully restored 1972 Checkmate MX-13, with a 1996 Johnson 56ci longshaft 70, and when I drove it at 12 years old is where my addiction started, and it shows no signs of slowing down.

Good work!!! That boat looks beautiful and runs clean....really nice to see. Thanks for posting this Hydroids...

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: September 13th, 2012, 11:51 am   
Team Member

Great story guys! I love ready about the history of these classic speed boats, especially when they still haus ass that well. I think the hot rods out number the fishing boats now on SML LOL!great video footage also.

Steve

PostPosted: September 13th, 2012, 8:14 pm   
Team Member

That is Awesome!!! I may be biased, but there's nothing like a classic Alli!!! 8-)

PostPosted: September 13th, 2012, 8:46 pm   
Team Member

Very cool even if I never saw my brother's wife's family cottage - maybe I spent my time looking at the boat.

Very bow high. Is that how the old Ally's run best or just fun for the video?