It is currently May 3rd, 2024, 2:21 pm

Kevlar Critchfield Project.....Suggestions for Materials??

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 6th, 2013, 9:42 am   
Team Member

Hounddog wrote:
I have gotten so mad at this boat working on it that I may mash it to pieces.

i felt this way at times doing the Delta,it took so long..dont do this and if you decide to ill bring up a junk 14 foot runabout and trade you 1st!! :)

#49 Triple C Racing
T750 Delta/ omc

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: August 25th, 2013, 1:26 pm   

I thought Matt Arlts boats are Carbon Fiber not Kevlar.

PostPosted: October 8th, 2013, 8:31 am   
Team Member

Just an up-date on this project. I have all of the bad out of the boat now. It is down to its gel coat and one layer of glass.
It weights about 100 lbs. 2 layers of carbon fiber will go in this spring. All the strong box, transom etc will be composite material. The strong box may extend 4 to 5 inches thru the transom, so the set back is built into the boat. the nose of the boat is going to extend back approximately 10 inches, so the driver seat position is almost in the centre of the boat. This boat is not a T850. It will be a GT30 or T750 boat. Goal is to weigh in at 550 lbs. Boat, motor and driver. Rob Scythes will be helping out with the build and the hull design. We're thinking of a wider pad and maybe add some extra deck width on the nose portion to add lift. The steering, seat, gas tank, battery and foot pedal will all be mounted on an aluminium frame that can be moved as a complete unit to adjust the balance. The boat also have a power transom, one of the small Bob's Machine Shop ones. With everything adjustable we will be able to dailing it the set up very quickly and test both a GT30 motor and a T750 motor. Once we know what we have performance wise, we will remove the set up stuff and install the permanent steering etc. If it doesn't go! Jim wants to put a mod 90 short shaft yamaha on it and make it a drag boat.

PostPosted: October 8th, 2013, 10:46 am   

Cool thoughts on the rebuild, its gonna be a weapon with whatever motor being so light. A 90 Yamaha mod would be a perfect motor if it cut down.

PostPosted: October 8th, 2013, 11:02 am   
Team Member

Hounddog wrote:
Just an up-date on this project. I have all of the bad out of the boat now. It is down to its gel coat and one layer of glass.
It weights about 100 lbs. 2 layers of carbon fiber will go in this spring. All the strong box, transom etc will be composite material. The strong box may extend 4 to 5 inches thru the transom, so the set back is built into the boat. the nose of the boat is going to extend back approximately 10 inches, so the driver seat position is almost in the centre of the boat. This boat is not a T850. It will be a GT30 or T750 boat. Goal is to weigh in at 550 lbs. Boat, motor and driver. Rob Scythes will be helping out with the build and the hull design. We're thinking of a wider pad and maybe add some extra deck width on the nose portion to add lift. The steering, seat, gas tank, battery and foot pedal will all be mounted on an aluminium frame that can be moved as a complete unit to adjust the balance. The boat also have a power transom, one of the small Bob's Machine Shop ones. With everything adjustable we will be able to dailing it the set up very quickly and test both a GT30 motor and a T750 motor. Once we know what we have performance wise, we will remove the set up stuff and install the permanent steering etc. If it doesn't go! Jim wants to put a mod 90 short shaft yamaha on it and make it a drag boat.

Let me know if I can help out with any machine work. I also have waterjet and laser cutting available for your guys now too!! I can cut any material your are working with.
Keep us posted on this cool project!!

PostPosted: October 8th, 2013, 4:33 pm   
Team Member

Rowboat wrote:
[Let me know if I can help out with any machine work. I also have waterjet and laser cutting available for your guys now too!! I can cut any material your are working with.

I will be in touch this spring. I was thinking of you and things you can provide. Some people have already thought of making molds off this boat provided it performs well. If so it would be good to have termplates of all parts. Maybe have it a kit boat where you buy the deck and hull and then you assemble it.

PostPosted: October 8th, 2013, 4:45 pm   

Hounddog wrote:
Rowboat wrote:
[Let me know if I can help out with any machine work. I also have waterjet and laser cutting available for your guys now too!! I can cut any material your are working with.

I will be in touch this spring. I was thinking of you and things you can provide. Some people have already thought of making molds off this boat provided it performs well. If so it would be good to have termplates of all parts. Maybe have it a kit boat where you buy the deck and hull and then you assemble it.

That's actually a very good idea hounddog, i think it would make a more cost friendly way to get a competitive race hull. Keep us updated I love these little boats

PostPosted: October 8th, 2013, 8:03 pm   
Team Member

Hound dog, almost everything I make can be easily repeated. I do CADD drawings of everything to make sure I don't have to remember how I did it!!!
Once a prototype is made, I correct the drawings to be "as built".
Once testing is complete, I make any further changes to the CADD file to ensure accuracy.

Keep us posted on progress!!

PostPosted: October 9th, 2013, 8:15 pm   

Rowboat what CAD software do you use?

PostPosted: October 9th, 2013, 9:58 pm   
Team Member

Blizz wrote:
Rowboat what CAD software do you use?

I design with AutoCAD 2012.
From there I can convert, or get it converted, to whatever is needed.
.dxf files are common for CAM software inputs for CNC machining, water jet/laser cutting.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread Hounddog! Keep us posted on this project!