It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:41 am

Rat Stream

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2018, 7:57 pm   
Team Member

Just for the sake of stirring something up thought I'd comment on my "projects pending"
If the weather cooperates for outdoor work I should be able to get both these done this spring.

Pulled the little Zodiac Rib outta the weeds with a freshly rebuilt Merc Classic 50. Everything works but previous owner had a penchant for beaching it (on rocks). Wore the keel right down to leaking AND installed that stupid radar arch with lag bolts into the transom. Needless to say it was soaked. Only a 20 x 16" transom that I cut outta the back. Will slam a new one in, paint it and call it a Beater Boat. Long as it's clean, floats and runs it'll serve it's purpose.
Hard work is done, need transom material and some dry warm(ish) weather and I'm good to go.
Trailer looks like something welded together by drunken teenagers, dropped parts all the way home, but the boat's gonna live at the dock so trailer is unimportant.

Been dicking around with this 77 Hydrostream Ventura II on and off for a few years. Keep it, sell it, store it, couldn't decide. Just wasn't into more glass work, painting, rigging as I was busy having fun at other things, like Thunder Cats.
Now it's time to get busy on it.
Core and floor done by Murph, transom just Ok so will likely get re-done.
Have assorted seat types, ski bar (yes it'll tow skiers), SeaStar hydraulic steering and most other bits and pieces.
It's gonna be kinda minimalist and ratty so creature comfort details aren't important, may even use some aluminum drag racing seats I've got hanging around, be different.
Far as hull goes, it's in remarkably good condition for a 40 year old boat. But, there's old rigging holes everywhere I wanna fill in so that means paint job. Glass work doesn't scare me but priming and painting 2 part poly is somewhat outside the comfort zone. Good time to learn.
Full grey primer, block sand then paint the whole thing white. Not a chance of this happening indoors so it'll be interesting.

Told Paul she was finally gonna get rigged and he came through with an appropriate motor... Thanks Paul!!!
An unmolested clean clean clean 87 Merc 2.4 200 fishing motor, 20" single ram mid, new pump and CLE 1.87 lower.
Light weight ModVP cowl, solids, reeds and tuner were all kicking around so It'll act and look period correct, sorta.
Have enough props to get started. Never know what she'll really need but that's for later... much later.

Only things yet to order are a 3 spoke aluminum steering wheel, 3" Vance manual jack and hydraulic lines and fittings.
Haven''t decided what to do for gauges. Dash has never been drilled, kinda like it that way. One passenger handle is enough.

Be a lot of fun when finished AND it'll fit in my (very short) 19'4" long boat house... Yeah!
Course that will preclude my clearing out the boat house but that's another story.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: February 22nd, 2018, 8:05 pm   
Team Member

Sorry, forgot to re-size pics

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2018, 9:45 pm   
User Requested 1 Month Ban - Denied

:? she is a Cherry… nothing Ratty about her 8-) I like her :mrgreen:

PostPosted: February 25th, 2018, 7:28 pm   

Nice Ventura! Cant wait to see how you rig it up. The seats sound interesting if they are what i think they are.

PostPosted: February 26th, 2018, 9:50 am   

Looking forward to running with the Rat this Summer.