It is currently May 3rd, 2024, 7:43 am

1977 Baja BR-19 project

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 20th, 2014, 10:18 am   

I recently purchased an old 70's Baja bowrider that i wanted to turn into a bit of a speed/ski combo. i was trying to find some information on these early Baja's & i wasn't able to find very much. if anyone knows anything about these boats it would be great to hear the good or bad about these.

I am planning on re painting it as someone had painted over the black metal flake gelcoat, not too sure what color yet. I will also be turning the two bow seats into full length loungers & i already have a Johnson 200GT V6 outboard to sit on the back.

These first photos show it in it's current condition, & i will be adding more photos as i complete sections of it.

Also, once i have completed this project i will be putting it up for sale.

~ 21' Eagle by Seebold W/ 300hp Johnson V8 "Second Effort" Limited edition
~ 19' Baja BR-19 W/ 200GT Johnson V6 (Project boat)

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: February 20th, 2014, 3:01 pm   
Team Member

I would recommend putting the driver seat back behind the steering wheel instead of in the front :lol: That must be some fancy driving right there with the ma and pa seats up front.

12' tinny - 9.9 merc

PostPosted: February 20th, 2014, 6:14 pm   

Dougw wrote:
I would recommend putting the driver seat back behind the steering wheel instead of in the front :lol: That must be some fancy driving right there with the ma and pa seats up front.

Ha ha yeah those are not staying there. just moved them out of the way for the one picture, then forgot to move them out of the way for the other picture. They are gonna be the fiberglass buckets that i'm gonna use for the driver & passenger seats, then i'm planning on building a removable back bench to hide the oil bottle & batteries in the back. Then i'm gonna completely gut the bow & rebuild it with a pair of lounger style seats.

PostPosted: February 20th, 2014, 9:14 pm   
Team Member

That's the same boat I grew up skiing and tubing behind, first fast boat I ever drove. My neighbour had a blue metal flake one with a 150 tower of power on it, worked great for us as young'uns. When they sold it, the new owner put a Johnson 235 on it, and complained about the handling. I was way too young to tell you how it was rigged at the time though. Good luck with it!

PostPosted: February 20th, 2014, 10:16 pm   

kool, i have a little baja project on the go also. i couldn't find any info on mine when i got it either. i had one old guy tell me mine is special because it has a factory pad and wasn't common .. keep us posted on the progress . i love a good project.

19' tempest picklefork 84 mod vpcarb 102mph

PostPosted: February 21st, 2014, 8:43 pm   

idvette wrote:
That's the same boat I grew up skiing and tubing behind, first fast boat I ever drove. My neighbour had a blue metal flake one with a 150 tower of power on it, worked great for us as young'uns. When they sold it, the new owner put a Johnson 235 on it, and complained about the handling. I was way too young to tell you how it was rigged at the time though. Good luck with it!

That's sweet! It's hard to see from the photos of this one but it was originally all black metal flake, the bottom is still black flake but the top side was repainted to some burgundy color. I really wish they didn't repaint the top, an all black metal flake vintage Baja would look great on the water! Especially with the Johnson I have to put on it cause it's the dark charcoal color like the cobra drives. I'm thinking of possibly just painting the top side the same charcoal color as the engine.

PostPosted: February 21st, 2014, 8:44 pm   

BoomerMuskoka wrote:
kool, i have a little baja project on the go also. i couldn't find any info on mine when i got it either. i had one old guy tell me mine is special because it has a factory pad and wasn't common .. keep us posted on the progress . i love a good project.

Do you have pics of your Baja project?