It is currently September 20th, 2024, 8:46 pm

Sea Foam Deep Creep....seems to work better than expected.

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 17th, 2024, 11:22 am   
Team Member

I just happened to see a can of this stuff at Canadian Tire. It was the name of the product that caught my attention. For years I had used a combination of first WD-40 followed by a soaking for several weeks of transmission fluid to free up old seized two stroke outboards. I had good success for the most part especially if the motor was a good runner prior to being left sitting for years. The seizures were mostly due to rust around the rings from condensation. The trick was to be patient, take your time and don’t rush or try to turn the motor over with the starter. Just start put moving the flywheel back and forth in a wiggle motion to get the pistons to move a little bit. Then soak it again and leave it. I would leave them soaking thru the winter.
The transmission fluid was a bit of a problem when starting the motor the first time and messy.

This Sea Foam Deep Creep worked the same way, but faster. A good soaking...wait 24 hours...wiggle move the flywheel...soak again...wait 24 hours....a few 360 degree manual rotations of the flywheel....turn over the motor with the starter....motor was freed up.

Stuff should work as a carb cleaner as well. I like brake cleaner and fuel injectors cleaner to clean carbs.

It’s a surprise with many of these old two stroke outboards just how good and how much life is left in them provided you address their issues “before “ major damage is done.
Inspection, parts cleaning, replacement of gaskets, gearcase oil , spark plugs and water pump impeller are key to the process and a DIY project.

Profile Send private message