It is currently May 2nd, 2024, 1:58 pm

"A" boat

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 28  Next
 PostPosted: October 19th, 2012, 10:53 pm   
Team Member

mitchie wrote:

Jeff... My big thing is when I read crap about grandsports with completely stock promax's running close to 100 with 28 pitch props..... When people claim stupid speeds It is a slap in the face to all those that put the work and money into there passion and put up a real, hard earned speed number. Just because I have not seen it does not mean I have to believe it's out there.

Done.

I think that these people running 100 plus with stock motors spinning my daughter's baby prop are only in Florida but I have discovered why and it is because they keep hitting Manatees which for some reason gives them a monster speed boost.

Mitchie is right though about outlandish claims. Not to say there isn't fast boats with killer setups but it doesn't happen out of box...If it was easy my wife and mother would be discussing over tea how they did it last year and now they are bored with boats.

OneCycle wrote:
Mitchie....... Setup is a breeze.... Just throw gobs of setback at it...used cone and eyeball the props shaft hight ...

This is exactly what I was thinking too....

Charger 18 DL, 2.6L Yamaha

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: October 20th, 2012, 9:20 am   
Team Member

I've had my XR4 Merc for 20 seasons. Other than blowing up gearcases and one trim unit, it's been very reliable. Would I cross the ocean with it? No, nor would I cross the ocean with any other 20+ year old motor, not even a Yamaha. I cross Lake Simcoe without worry.

Allison owners website shows claimed speeds:
GS w/225 88-98, most around 90
SS w/225 93 and 103

Periodically there are discussions if 100 is possible with a stock 225 PM on an SS.
Most say the GS hits a wall at 100 and is hard to power/set up much faster

1993 Yamaha 225 had a claimed weight of 412 lb, not much different than a V6 Merc

April 1995 Hotboat tests:

225 Mariner version of PM on Triad V bottom 88.6 claimed by manufacturer, they got 80-83
225 Promax on Allison GS 88.6 - they said there was more to be had
Interesting that they put exactly the same speed in the test result summary.

Note that Hotboat tested with 2 on board. That would have scrubbed a lot of speed in the A boat if the passenger was in the front seat.

The Allison little red book says the sweet spot is 150-175 HP and I believe it. The gains in speed rapidly diminish with increasing HP, if you can believe what's posted. I look at the mid range of the posted speed claims. It's possible the high speed outliers are liars or they are good at set up, blueprinting their bottoms, and driving. Maybe some of each.

PostPosted: October 20th, 2012, 12:35 pm   
Team Member

You all are taking my "easy" comment way to seriously.

Sheesh :)

It's also the same as asking RBT if setting an STV up for speeds of 110 is easy. He may say yes it's easy. But that's because he's done it so many times. If rigged over 30 boats and have driven nearly the same amount of different set ups. My comment wasn't meant to last for pages and pages.

Experience both good and bad are key !! If had them both and it just adds to the book of facts. But there's always more facts to learn and , from everyone and every boat.

Now if I could get my ass a boat again before the water opens next year I'd be happy. ;)

2017 OGW Nitrous Shootout Champion
2016 OSCA True Street champion
2015 OSCA 8.90 2nd in Championship

..... just a little SBF at 8.39

PostPosted: October 20th, 2012, 1:22 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Jeff .... I think it's a good debate. As I was saying to Rick last night while we were working on secret M.R.S projects (wood working,rad pressurizing and brazing) setup is completely diffrent on everything .... My vector was easy ... The challenger not so much...

PostPosted: October 20th, 2012, 2:55 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Jeff Yammer wrote:
You all are taking my "easy" comment way to seriously.

Sheesh :)

It's also the same as asking RBT if setting an STV up for speeds of 110 is easy. He may say yes it's easy. But that's because he's done it so many times. If rigged over 30 boats and have driven nearly the same amount of different set ups. My comment wasn't meant to last for pages and pages.

Experience both good and bad are key !! If had them both and it just adds to the book of facts. But there's always more facts to learn and , from everyone and every boat.

Now if I could get my ass a boat again before the water opens next year I'd be happy. ;)

Hey...it's fall and most of our boats are away lol...this could go on for months :mrgreen:

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: October 20th, 2012, 5:09 pm   
Team Member

True true. At least y'all have a boat to store. !!! Haha aaah shitt

2017 OGW Nitrous Shootout Champion
2016 OSCA True Street champion
2015 OSCA 8.90 2nd in Championship

..... just a little SBF at 8.39

PostPosted: October 20th, 2012, 11:15 pm   
Team Member

DoktorC wrote:

Hey...it's fall and most of our boats are away lol...this could go on for months :mrgreen:

Yeah seriously what fun would it be if everyone agreed and never took runs at each other?!? LOL!

See watch - time for a run at James....

James what secret wood working projects are you working on? Are you making a hope chest or perhaps a jewelry box to keep your treasures in?

PostPosted: October 20th, 2012, 11:17 pm   
Team Member

David wrote:

The Allison little red book says the sweet spot is 150-175 HP and I believe it. The gains in speed rapidly diminish with increasing HP, if you can believe what's posted. I look at the mid range of the posted speed claims. It's possible the high speed outliers are liars or they are good at set up, blueprinting their bottoms, and driving. Maybe some of each.

David - why wouldn't an equivalent displacement motor with more HP not push an A boat faster if it was able to spin a bigger wheel?

PostPosted: October 21st, 2012, 10:29 am   
Team Member

I think what David's saying is, an A boat will run respectable speeds with a reliable 150-175hp which can be done very inexpensively!if you need to run in the nineties it's going to cost you unproportionately more $$$ to get there! eg;3g's to run 80!7g's to run 90!10%speed gain,over 100% cost increase!at .20cents a liter more for premium a modded motor might cost more in the long run than a few more cubes to start with!
It's all in what speed your satisfied with! If you run solo like I do most of the time, 80 is plenty!It's only "seems" slow when somebody flies by doing 90!

PostPosted: October 21st, 2012, 2:22 pm   
Team Member

I think Allison designed the hulls for mid range power. It may be that compared to an STV, the set up and driving gets very difficult at greater speeds. I'm not sure why they talk about the 100 mph wall with the GS, but the benefits of 260 vs 225 on that hull seem small, based on posted speed claims.

There is a lot of course to Shiver's point about diminishing returns with money as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 28  Next