It is currently May 2nd, 2024, 9:57 pm

"A" boat

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 28  Next
 PostPosted: October 19th, 2012, 3:36 pm   

mitchie wrote:
One thing you got me on though is that I did not know an adaptor was available to mount a yamaha on a 12" mid. That would be cool.

i think a 12" mid on my winder and the powerhead would be under the water line...15" might be too short ..20" would be a HUGE improvement...

19' tempest picklefork 84 mod vpcarb 102mph

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: October 19th, 2012, 3:38 pm   
Team Member

BoomerMuskoka wrote:
Jeff Yammer wrote:
Yes you can do a Merc mid if you want a 12" as it only takes an adaptor. Same applies for the 15" it's just that no one that I know of has designed one yet.
And as far as an XR with a Kottman if set up correctly 110 is by far an easy number to attain. I've witnessed at least 6 over the years that have run extremely fast and they weren't even a Kottman style motor. Pound for pound and horsepower for horsepower it's all in set up if you have the power. A well put together finger ported Yamaha will run very hard and make 250hp. A behind the liner motor along with other grinding will keep you with a "Drag" and more.
Keep in mind ----- just because you yourself haven't seen it or that you haven't seen it on the "Net" doesn't mean it doesn't exist. In the states there more shiit that makes wicked power then you can ever imagine. Alot of it comes from people that do it themselves and in some back woods area with a lake to play on.
If guys like Acie , Monty and Galen ( RIP ) didn't exist you'd be saying the same about OMC power of the "New era" that is.
If Yamaha had decided to enter into the HP O/B game that F1 race way back in the day with Ron Anderson things would be very different. But. Instead you must make the yourself. That's the fun in it ;)

i can dream about owning an XR with a kottman,, but for now i hav a sidewinder with an excel and a 25" mid :roll: ,, so i have miles of improvement ahead of me,(hull,setup,power) im just leaning my options,, and "THAT" is the fun part ,,,is it possible to put a 20" merc mid/lower on the excel what parts are needed?

Boomer... a 20 and 15 inch merc mid is the same pattern... And like YAMMER said. Nobody offers an adaptor plate to do this. Put a 20" yamaha mid on it and drill some exhaust vents. The only viable reason anyone would want to put a yamaha on a merc mid would be to have a stronger, louder offshore.... which then you would also need a trim pump and such in your boat.

Like I said.. Dok said he would GIVE you a 20" yamaha mid. You just need the driveshaft and shift shaft and such.

JC's is probably the least controversial guy for gearcases.... And if you wanna local one then just order a bob's cone and have kawartha or somebody do it for you.

Jeff... My big thing is when I read crap about grandsports with completely stock promax's running close to 100 with 28 pitch props..... When people claim stupid speeds It is a slap in the face to all those that put the work and money into there passion and put up a real, hard earned speed number. Just because I have not seen it does not mean I have to believe it's out there.

Done.

PostPosted: October 19th, 2012, 3:54 pm   

im on it thanks mitchie.

19' tempest picklefork 84 mod vpcarb 102mph

PostPosted: October 19th, 2012, 4:02 pm   
Team Member

Talk to Zonka about sidewinder set up... He seems to have his Sh!t dialed!

I thought of you today by the way when I had to help some poor soul pulling an old winder behind his shit box 85 caddilac... He was stuck in the mud in the field at the marina across the road... I had to tow him out.. lol.

PostPosted: October 19th, 2012, 4:14 pm   
Team Member

Which reminds me, I'll post up my setup

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: October 19th, 2012, 6:06 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Mitchie....... Setup is a breeze.... Just throw gobs of setback at it...used cone and eyeball the props shaft hight ...

PostPosted: October 19th, 2012, 6:41 pm   
Team Member

There two reasons to do a Merc mid. 1 is the look of the offshore style. 2 (and what should be the only reason ) fast trim.
Just throw Yamaha 20" mid on it and grab a shorter driveshaft. You can send you case away or learn and do it yourself ( just make sure you learn it correctly and use a very knowledgable Aluminum welder that will pre-heat before welding )

Mitchie take a deep breath man. Lots is possible and without people learning and trying new or unusual things new set-ups will never be figured out. Things shouldn't stress ya out so much about what people do that may not be the usual way. There's always something new and some one faster and a way of doing it that differs from yours or mine or anyone else's. Don't feel so "slapped in the face" unless of course some one actually slaps you in the face man.
Cheers :))

2017 OGW Nitrous Shootout Champion
2016 OSCA True Street champion
2015 OSCA 8.90 2nd in Championship

..... just a little SBF at 8.39

PostPosted: October 19th, 2012, 7:09 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Jeff Yammer wrote:
There two reasons to do a Merc mid. 1 is the look of the offshore style. 2 (and what should be the only reason ) fast trim.
Just throw Yamaha 20" mid on it and grab a shorter driveshaft. You can send you case away or learn and do it yourself ( just make sure you learn it correctly and use a very knowledgable Aluminum welder that will pre-heat before welding )

Mitchie take a deep breath man. Lots is possible and without people learning and trying new or unusual things new set-ups will never be figured out. Things shouldn't stress ya out so much about what people do that may not be the usual way. There's always something new and some one faster and a way of doing it that differs from yours or mine or anyone else's. Don't feel so "slapped in the face" unless of course some one actually slaps you in the face man.
Cheers :))

The merc mid idea is cool....but honestly...a 12" costs as much as my whole 15" 3.1L and for a lake boat the stock trim is more than fast enough. This is besides the fact that my world can't handle too many merc parts near my boat...

Jeff I think you may have missed Mitchie's point...it's not that 110 isn't possible in an XR, STV, V21...it's just not easy. It's easier for those who have unlimited budgets or years of experience (or both) but the average Jo lake boater isn't just going to phone up Bob Kottman (who is in pretty poor health last I've heard) have a killer 2.6 built, plop in on their Alliston and run 110....so to call it easy either shows that you've never had to work out a setup to get there or you've forgotten how hard it is to make boats run in the 100's. There's a reason everyone's "uncle" has a 105mph....that actually goes 72 lol

Jeff is right though Mitch...take a deep breath....it's just the Internet :mrgreen:

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: October 19th, 2012, 7:44 pm   
Team Member

well, you guys have bashed this one about! 12",15'',fast trim,nose cones and more!I was curious how the the 200 yami stacked up against another 200hp ,just wondered if there was a weight or gearcase advantage/dis-advantage! so my take on all this is, the yami is reliable but a little heavier than a merc!
what is the case dia. of the yami and the gear ratio's available?

PostPosted: October 19th, 2012, 8:09 pm   
Team Member

Agreed for sure Doc. Easy wasn't meant to be taken so harshly either. Sheesh. So it's not easy but with knowledge very attainable.

I heard at Jasoer that Bob was I'll.

On another note I had a long conversation with Randy McKormick about his Yamaha knowledge. Man he still has some good stuff left too. . :)

2017 OGW Nitrous Shootout Champion
2016 OSCA True Street champion
2015 OSCA 8.90 2nd in Championship

..... just a little SBF at 8.39

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 28  Next