It is currently May 2nd, 2024, 2:31 pm

"A" boat

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next
 PostPosted: October 19th, 2012, 11:38 am   
Team Member

I kinda look at it as insulting to say achievement like that is easy.

On the other hand... If I had to cross the ocean with an outboard..... And I looked back and saw an old merc on the boat. I would start swimming right away instead of waiting for the inevitable. On the other hand if I saw the ugliest beat up 2.6 yamaha on the back I would breathe a sigh of relief.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: October 19th, 2012, 12:30 pm   

Jeff Yammer wrote:
BoomerMuskoka wrote:
mitchie wrote:
There is a guy on screamandfly.com that had a kottman 2.6 on an xr and was running 110. He has a 2.5 merc on it now though.

2.6L doing 110? interesting.

That's easy. If you have ever seen a true Kottman motor inside you'd know why.
You could do 110 in an XR with a well tuned finger ported motor.

I would LOVE to see the inside of a Kottman motor,.

19' tempest picklefork 84 mod vpcarb 102mph

PostPosted: October 19th, 2012, 12:35 pm   

Jeff Yammer wrote:
There's lots of Allison's ( and other brands ) state side that run Yamaha power. Tons actually. There work very well. They compare to the other 200's out there just the same. . . and the weight difference of a 2.6 is very minimal with a 2.5. If rigged for that weight difference it isn't a problem at all.
Now put a 2.6 on any boat with a cut down mid and adapt a Merc short trim ram to fit and it's lighter then a Merc. You just have to port a Yamaha like a Merc to keep in the same speed range.

what does it take to cut down a mid on a 2.6l and adapt a merc short trim ram,, can a merc mid be adapted to a yammi powerhead?

PostPosted: October 19th, 2012, 12:42 pm   

mitchie wrote:
I kinda look at it as insulting to say achievement like that is easy.

On the other hand... If I had to cross the ocean with an outboard..... And I looked back and saw an old merc on the boat. I would start swimming right away instead of waiting for the inevitable. On the other hand if I saw the ugliest beat up 2.6 yamaha on the back I would breathe a sigh of relief.

i agree its not easy,,unless you can go out and buy a kottman, but what fun is that.,. :lol:

PostPosted: October 19th, 2012, 1:51 pm   
Team Member

BoomerMuskoka wrote:
Jeff Yammer wrote:
There's lots of Allison's ( and other brands ) state side that run Yamaha power. Tons actually. There work very well. They compare to the other 200's out there just the same. . . and the weight difference of a 2.6 is very minimal with a 2.5. If rigged for that weight difference it isn't a problem at all.
Now put a 2.6 on any boat with a cut down mid and adapt a Merc short trim ram to fit and it's lighter then a Merc. You just have to port a Yamaha like a Merc to keep in the same speed range.

what does it take to cut down a mid on a 2.6l and adapt a merc short trim ram,, can a merc mid be adapted to a yammi powerhead?

No you cant do the merc mid thing.... I have no idea about putting a merc trim rams on a yamaha.
You can get a 20 inch yamaha mid cut to 15". It would likely cost around $1500.00 including shipping to somebody like marty powell. I think Rick said he would GIVE you a 20" mid.
Like a said... Hand any loser an XR and a Kottman 2.6 and I gaurantee he is not running no 110mph. I find alot of people's top speed claims to be WILDLY suspect.... WILDLY!

PostPosted: October 19th, 2012, 2:25 pm   
Team Member

mitchie wrote:
I'm not sure that "easy" is the right word for any serious V-bottom top speed stuff Jeff. You know that there is more to speed than just power.

It would be easy in an XR or an STV with the power I'm talking about. Of course good set-up goes with it but that's not what the conversation is about.

2017 OGW Nitrous Shootout Champion
2016 OSCA True Street champion
2015 OSCA 8.90 2nd in Championship

..... just a little SBF at 8.39

PostPosted: October 19th, 2012, 2:37 pm   
Team Member

Yes you can do a Merc mid if you want a 12" as it only takes an adaptor. Same applies for the 15" it's just that no one that I know of has designed one yet.
And as far as an XR with a Kottman if set up correctly 110 is by far an easy number to attain. I've witnessed at least 6 over the years that have run extremely fast and they weren't even a Kottman style motor. Pound for pound and horsepower for horsepower it's all in set up if you have the power. A well put together finger ported Yamaha will run very hard and make 250hp. A behind the liner motor along with other grinding will keep you with a "Drag" and more.
Keep in mind ----- just because you yourself haven't seen it or that you haven't seen it on the "Net" doesn't mean it doesn't exist. In the states there more shiit that makes wicked power then you can ever imagine. Alot of it comes from people that do it themselves and in some back woods area with a lake to play on.
If guys like Acie , Monty and Galen ( RIP ) didn't exist you'd be saying the same about OMC power of the "New era" that is.
If Yamaha had decided to enter into the HP O/B game that F1 race way back in the day with Ron Anderson things would be very different. But. Instead you must make the yourself. That's the fun in it ;)

2017 OGW Nitrous Shootout Champion
2016 OSCA True Street champion
2015 OSCA 8.90 2nd in Championship

..... just a little SBF at 8.39

PostPosted: October 19th, 2012, 3:11 pm   

Jeff Yammer wrote:
Yes you can do a Merc mid if you want a 12" as it only takes an adaptor. Same applies for the 15" it's just that no one that I know of has designed one yet.
And as far as an XR with a Kottman if set up correctly 110 is by far an easy number to attain. I've witnessed at least 6 over the years that have run extremely fast and they weren't even a Kottman style motor. Pound for pound and horsepower for horsepower it's all in set up if you have the power. A well put together finger ported Yamaha will run very hard and make 250hp. A behind the liner motor along with other grinding will keep you with a "Drag" and more.
Keep in mind ----- just because you yourself haven't seen it or that you haven't seen it on the "Net" doesn't mean it doesn't exist. In the states there more shiit that makes wicked power then you can ever imagine. Alot of it comes from people that do it themselves and in some back woods area with a lake to play on.
If guys like Acie , Monty and Galen ( RIP ) didn't exist you'd be saying the same about OMC power of the "New era" that is.
If Yamaha had decided to enter into the HP O/B game that F1 race way back in the day with Ron Anderson things would be very different. But. Instead you must make the yourself. That's the fun in it ;)

i can dream about owning an XR with a kottman,, but for now i hav a sidewinder with an excel and a 25" mid :roll: ,, so i have miles of improvement ahead of me,(hull,setup,power) im just leaning my options,, and "THAT" is the fun part ,,,is it possible to put a 20" merc mid/lower on the excel what parts are needed?

PostPosted: October 19th, 2012, 3:19 pm   
Team Member

I don't know anything... But I know that set up is huge.... And it is work.

I believe there are huge horsepower everythings out there... And You are right. Just because It's not on the net does not mean that it does not exist... Because All I know about boats is from the internet. The point I was making was that there are lots of things that I HAVE read on the net that I call horsesh!t on. I am well aware of the crazy stuff out there power wise and wild custom mid sections and what not.

One thing you got me on though is that I did not know an adaptor was available to mount a yamaha on a 12" mid. That would be cool.

But the fact remains that if you are gonna do all this work to make a monster yamaha.... You might as well go to paul's and buy a 2.5 merc. By this point you have destroyed the reliability and now you have a high strung beast that has all custom parts in it ready to come through the side.

Like I said... I don't know everything. But I do mess with boats alot. And of course I do read the internets.

Last edited by Supermitchie on October 19th, 2012, 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: October 19th, 2012, 3:24 pm   

mitchie wrote:
BoomerMuskoka wrote:
Jeff Yammer wrote:

No you cant do the merc mid thing.... I have no idea about putting a merc trim rams on a yamaha.
You can get a 20 inch yamaha mid cut to 15". It would likely cost around $1500.00 including shipping to somebody like marty powell. I think Rick said he would GIVE you a 20" mid.
Like a said... Hand any loser an XR and a Kottman 2.6 and I gaurantee he is not running no 110mph. I find alot of people's top speed claims to be WILDLY suspect.... WILDLY!

i'd rather keep it all yammi if i could, but it seems merc parts are easyer too come by :oops: ...whats you opinion on a speed cone for my yammi case? what options are out there?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next