It is currently April 28th, 2024, 1:26 am

Kiekhaefer Mercury motor

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 27th, 2012, 9:50 pm   
Team Member

A friend of mine found this in his grandfather's garage. He knows very little about it....not a boater himself. He was thinking of selling it on kijiji, but doesn't want to get scammed and would rather sell it to someone who would appreciate it. I don't know if it runs or the last time that it did. Anyone have an idea what this is worth so he knows what a fair price is? Thanks!

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: August 28th, 2012, 11:02 am   
Team Member

That would look cool hanging in the garage.
I am by no means an expert but I doubt that the motor holds much value. It looks like early 60's vintage. If he could get $400 - $500 I'd take the money and run.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2012, 12:53 pm   
Team Member

I'm not saying Pat's wrong (your wrong pat). But that motor was the flagship of the merc lineup back in the day, is the desirable color scheme, and is complete. Its worth something, more than $400/$500. The toronto ACBS (antique and classic boat socitey) has some members that would be interested, but at the end of the day, it is only worth what someone is willing to pay. If its close to running condition (IE not seized) I'd look for $1500-$2000 and take offers unless I'm missing something rare about it which would increase value. Clean it up, it will look sharp!

PostPosted: August 28th, 2012, 2:17 pm   
Team Member

I figured it would be in the above price range once restored.
I know I recently saw one similar for sale in Minesota for $500. I guess I should have bought it when I had the chance.
Better to list high then low.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2012, 6:23 pm   
Team Member

CCI wrote:
I'm not saying Pat's wrong (your wrong pat). But that motor was the flagship of the merc lineup back in the day, is the desirable color scheme, and is complete. Its worth something, more than $400/$500. The toronto ACBS (antique and classic boat socitey) has some members that would be interested, but at the end of the day, it is only worth what someone is willing to pay. If its close to running condition (IE not seized) I'd look for $1500-$2000 and take offers unless I'm missing something rare about it which would increase value. Clean it up, it will look sharp!

$1500 /$ 2000 ????
Hey jorden turn your exhast fan on, before you start painting!!!!!
$250 to $500 that all

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: August 28th, 2012, 7:32 pm   
Team Member

Is that the "dockbuster?

PostPosted: August 28th, 2012, 10:05 pm   
Team Member

TopGun wrote:
CCI wrote:

$1500 /$ 2000 ????
Hey jorden turn your exhast fan on, before you start painting!!!!!
$250 to $500 that all

lol, its only worth that to one of us, I stand by my assessment, clean it up, people are paying crazy prices for some of this stuff these days, you and I wouldn't but.... to the right person if you have patience it may surprise you, it looks like it will clean up ;) Needs a greavette.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2012, 10:10 pm   
Team Member

No that not the DOCK buster, it the series right after. GEE, DOCK Busters, you most be getting on in YRS. to remember them.

PostPosted: August 29th, 2012, 10:30 am   
Team Member

You would struggle to get more than $500 for it. The 6cyl tower of power is a heavy beast and the 800 is the small displacement block.

PostPosted: August 29th, 2012, 12:57 pm   
Team Member

Thanks for all the info guys, this is really appreciated! I'll let him know.