It is currently September 21st, 2024, 1:48 am

NEW WINRACE MKX GT30 BOAT

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 24th, 2018, 3:58 pm   
Team Member

Nice to finally find a picture of the new boat!!
https://www.facebook.com/winracepropell ... =3&theater

IF? you are interested in the Winrace History....here it is with pictures of all their boats.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... =3&__xts__

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: December 26th, 2018, 7:08 am   
Team Member

Hounddog wrote:
IF? you are interested in the Winrace History....here it is with pictures of all their boats.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... =3&__xts__

Looking at the history of Winrace boats, it gets one thinking.
One of the reasons GT30 has not grown in Canada is the COST of the new motors.
In the USA they race Dillon V hulls with 30 and 35 hp 2 cylinder OMC's. LOW COST BUT TOO SLOW.....mid 40 mph.
http://www.dillon-racing.com/pro-vee/im ... 008-02.jpg

NOW LOOK AT THIS!
https://www.facebook.com/winracepropell ... =3&theater
Click on picture for text.
This is basically a GT30 hull or a Dillon V with a 30 cubic inch Tohatsu 40C that ran 65 MPH!!
T550 class.....impressive!
Someone should have a father and son project and build a Dillon V and run a 40C Tohatsu on it.
OR
Buy the plans:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Boat- ... 1634276061
Make changes to the boat so it is an winged with a pad open style NEW Delta.
Make a plug from it:
Build a modern composite new boat...I bet many people would want one.

PostPosted: June 29th, 2024, 1:03 pm   

Which plans are you referring to here? The Dillon Pro V and add a pad? Most people in stock outboard these days are living on the nostalgia of it. Reality is to move forward current technology has to be embraced and that includes a sit down ride. I like what they do in Europe with GT15/30 classes and would be much more comfortable for marathon racing.

PostPosted: June 29th, 2024, 1:51 pm   
Team Member

dandrews wrote:
Which plans are you referring to here? The Dillon Pro V and add a pad? Most people in stock outboard these days are living on the nostalgia of it. Reality is to move forward current technology has to be embraced and that includes a sit down ride. I like what they do in Europe with GT15/30 classes and would be much more comfortable for marathon racing.

The thread is old....2018
I am guessing you are referring to this section in my post
Quote:
“Buy the plans:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Boat- ... 1634276061
Make changes to the boat so it is an winged with a pad open style NEW Delta.
Make a plug from it:
Build a modern composite new boat...I bet many people would want one.”

Back in 2018 a few of us were looking into GT30......for the second time....our first effort was dashed when a European seller selling great GT30 molds failed to ship them after being paid in full. In 2018 we were thinking of building a Canadian version of a GT30 Boat. It was to be a completely new composite material built wing boat with a pad. We were stealing ideas from the European, Asian, Australian and American boats. No one here was interested enough to shell out the funds to make the first prototype boat. Another thought was building a MOD VP bottom super light 150 lb carbon fiber critchfield.
Then Covid hit in 2020 so nothing has happened.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2024, 10:27 am   

Interesting history on this. Tim Kurtz recently bought the Critch molds and they are still in Toronto. Getting them to the states hasn’t been a huge priority at this point. Have you seen the boat that Jim Gardner is in the process of building? He’s currently making a mold to build a 14’ boat. What ever happened to the Delta molds that were listed on kijiji a few years ago? Thought that was a 12-13 foot boat. There will be an opportunity to develop boats for the small 4 stroke engines. The price for a Povvat is 8700 Euros and you still have to get it here. From an economic standpoint bringing a boat from out of country will be expensive and most likely out of the question. I could see maybe getting one of the winrace molds if a number of people split on it. Then the next question would be production. Do you go to Bert Henderson, Matt Arlt? Dave Kidd has the equipment to build these boats also as a chop strand glass boat.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2024, 12:31 pm   
Team Member

dandrews wrote:
Interesting history on this.

“Tim Kurtz recently bought the Critch molds and they are still in Toronto. Getting them to the states hasn’t been a huge priority at this point.”
I didn’t know Tim Kurtz had purchased the Top Gun Marine (Marty Brodeau) critchfield molds.
The original Danny Critchfield molds were also for sale in Atlanta I was told.

“Have you seen the boat that Jim Gardner is in the process of building? He’s currently making a mold to build a 14’ boat.”
I heard a rumor but that is all.

“What ever happened to the Delta molds that were listed on kijiji a few years ago? Thought that was a 12-13 foot boat.”
Those were new splashed delta molds with a motor well delete deck. Thom Waters made the molds and they are still available. Yes they are 12-13 foot delta molds.

“There will be an opportunity to develop boats for the small 4 stroke engines. The price for a Povvat is 8700 Euros and you still have to get it here. From an economic standpoint bringing a boat from out of country will be expensive and most likely out of the question.”
Too bad for our Canadian purchaser and the rest of us interested in GT30 that the GT30 molds never got shipped to Canada. They would have given us a good start.

“ I could see maybe getting one of the winrace molds if a number of people split on it”
The Bucknell family had and likely still has a close relationship with winrace with their propeller connection. I don’t recall the shipping cost being that expensive. The question would be....what mold are they willing to sell?

“Then the next question would be production. Do you go to Bert Henderson, Matt Arlt? Dave Kidd has the equipment to build these boats also as a chop strand glass boat.

The first issue is where and who will be responsible for storing and maintaining the molds?
We have had a few companies here in Ontario that did build the Top Gun critchfield. Currently there is not a a large demand for new critchfields, Voodoos or deltas .
When we were looking for a Winrace hull in North America we did check out one in New York State. It was a GT15 boat which had been running and ruined with a 50 horsepower. The performance of that combo impressed the seller but not me. It ran 60 mph. Our T750 class top boats on the race course at 594 minimum weight will run over 62 mph. The kilo world UIM record for T750 with a modified GT 30 winrace tohatsu is 66 mph.
That plus our knowledge in developing T750 class here got us thinking of modifying a critchfield or delta or Voodoo or a combination of all three to make our own GT30 hull.
What performance do you need from a GT30?
- has to run 50 mph at 550 minimum weight and minimum length of 11’5”
Can we get a critchfield built smaller and lighter.....yes!
What changes do we need to do?
- shorten the boat at the stern leave the deck as is... make the new boat 11’6”
- build in a 4 inch setback into the bottom
- widen the pad one inch and put a 1/2 deep hallowed section in the last 2 feet of the pad.
- make the outside strake rail longer and bigger so it extends from the bow to the stern.
Test and improve.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2024, 3:08 pm   
Team Member

In 2010....I was thinking of a single boat/single motor package for GT30. There would be only one boat and one motor that racers could run in the class. I was hoping we could get a Canadian outboard manufacturer and a Canadian boat builder interested enough to support the class. I thought this class would appeal to parents with children 9 to 13 years old as an entry level T boat class . The boat had to be dual purpose and could be a cottage boat when not used to race 3 or 4 times a year.

The boat choice was easy...THE MINI VOODOO!
https://hydrostream.com/pages/hydrostre ... ni-voo-doo
Right length, right weight, built in Ontario, Runs 45-48 mph with a 30 hp.

The motor was the 30 hp four stroke Tohatsu

Unfortunately others didn’t like my idea so nothing happened.
It’s very difficult to get new ideas into an old school thinking sport.