It is currently April 27th, 2024, 6:38 am

My boat racing experience with motors, inspections, etc.

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 7th, 2023, 6:13 pm   
Team Member

I started racing in the Ontario Wild Cat races in 1965. Classes were based on horsepower. The motor inspection was usually based on whether or not the original tag as still on the powerhead and that the motor looked the same as the other motors in the class. There was a group of racers that travelled to the local lake regattas . If there were cheaters in the group we never noticed or cared....just like TORC racers today...we just wanted to race our boats and have fun.
My first experience with an engine inspection was when my 14 year old son started racing in Sport C class in 1992. Our motor was out of the box and untouched. The CBF inspector called me over ...I thought there was something wrong...he called me over to shake my hand that we won and passed inspection. After the race day ended and a few beers the same inspector came over to me....he wanted to talk about my motor....my motor could be made better and still past inspection...the sleeves in my motor were slightly twisted and there was block casting aluminum showing in the ports which reduced the air flow....that aluminum can be removed legally. Lesson learned!
My son later moved up to EP class which is similar to T class. We raced a mercury 650XS then in FV raced a Yamaha 70CES. We never had any issues with inspections during those years.
The real change came when we raced in APR Superleague in the states. We had no problem find a legal SST 60 tunnel in Ontario...the problem was finding a LEGAL powerhead! I couldn’t find one...everyone we checked was illegal....yet they had passed CBF inspection....I checked with other Ontario racers who were currently racing in APR...ALL had the same issue....All had been warned by Jeff Titus the APR inspector. ...I found a powerhead in Texas that had raced in APR inspected by Jeff and passed. We passed every inspection racing in APR. Those inspections eliminated cheating! Some inspections were complete disassembled powerhead and every part was measured. The World Championship had multiple inspectors and parts were handed down the line and had to be passed by each one. Best comment of the inspection..UIM inspector “ what are these marks on the crank?”....both APR and APBA inspectors reply..”that’s because the crank is untouched!”.

Profile Send private message