It is currently May 1st, 2024, 9:11 pm

Travelling Ontario - accessing property/other

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 17th, 2020, 5:01 pm   
Team Member

Ummm,....this sites been a bit boring lately. I've had some time on my hands,...idle hands are the hands of the devil.

Over last days I received a few various texts/rumors from cottage neighbors, 'friend of a friend on way to cottage was pulled aside by OPP, issued $3-400 fine for travelling to seasonal home/cottage'. WTF?
First, to best of my knowledge, 2-3 wks ago DFord was only pleading folks not to travel to seasonal/rural homes from their principal/urban residences, which would otherwise place increased risk to citizens & local/smaller health care providers. Makes sense.
Although Provincial Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act was amended April 3, effective April 4, there was no language or announcement restricting or prohibiting citizen movement thereafter or during the Emergency period. Essential & non-essential services were listed, citing criteria, included marinas under Transportation heading.

Based on the unsubstantiated rumors of OPP pulling aside drivers, educating or fining drivers going to seasonal residences, I called OPP Midland detachment today to obtain facts, spoke with PC. I stated it's an inquiry, my general primary & seasonal residence locations, inquired of any recent Federal or Provincial laws or acts prohibiting or restricting movement on Provincial or Municipal roads.
In a nutshell: NO.
So, anyone charged with a fine or infraction while driving is receiving such under some other variant/law other than their movement on Ontario's highways & roads.

April 14 I watched live Township of Georgian Bay Special Council meeting. They are debating/doing everything possible under their limited authority/jurisdiction to prevent seasonal property owners from accessing property to discourage their presence within the Township. To that end, they discussed closing off municipal roads, municipally owned boat ramps, shut down private marinas/ramps, and deny islanders access to their properties. Regarding roads they finally came to realize that shutting those down would restrict permanent resident access; no go. They are able to shut down municipal boat ramps under their control, but this treats island property owners unfairly vs land access owners; they're ok with this, life's not fair. Regarding marinas, they discussed whether those are essential/non-essential and the preposterous notion that marinas should prohibit their island customers from accessing boats, launching.
Yet, given municipality cannot deny road access property owner from accessing property, they also cannot restrict same from allowing an island property owner from accessing property via land access friend's property.

So, what a Fkg mess. The ineptitude of these small municipalities/councils is becoming glaring, way over their heads in these difficult times, their manic fear, illogical panic, stupidly not realizing that without seasonal property owners and tax base they'd still be nothing more than back water Hillbilly's, getting lost in the bottle & shooting at each other. Out of unbridled arrogance they are applying the same big fish in a small pond mentality and attitude they use for Minor variance application, building permits, local bylaws, inspections, the authority they can flagrantly and at times overbearingly whip around, to this current monumental issue which is far above their understanding of facts and reality. The local back water municipal Councils and businesses have benefited politically and financially over decades and generations from the hard work and wealth of seasonal residents who have spent and invested their disposable income in these seasonal/recreation communities in the past and now as people retire up there. My Family has been in and contributing to this community since 195fucking7, many others longer. In addition, anecdotally, many local politicians have numbered companies, silent partners in construction, development, service companies, having an obvious knowledge & advantage of private and public developments & projects. And now they want to prevent access to tens of thousands of property owners, taxpayers, those that have put bread on their table, effectively pulling up the drawbridge.
Rest assured, under the current public health crisis the Prov & Feds have carefully weighed legal consequences and ramifications of restricting rights of citizen movement with consultation from best & brightest internal and external lawyers; no broad property access restrictions. Right to ones property(regardless of where and how many) is a fundamental right/cornerstone of and cherished by modern liberal democratic societies, only exceeded by Martial Law, War Measures Act. If those are rolled out, i'll abide. Case closed.
I fully understand the local health infrastructure limitations and preventing disease transmission within, we all get it, i/we'll take appropriate measures, that's sound for individual & greater common good.
But, fuck them, if the Hazard County monkeys, Boss Hogg, Sheriff Roscoe P Coltrane and Enos, are so ill informed, belligerent, arrogant and finally stupid to exceed their given authority to prevent me accessing my property. They will be held to account.
C'mon Bo, grab Daisy by the shorts, fire up The General, let's kick some ass!

Amen!

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: April 17th, 2020, 6:21 pm   

you forgot this part, at the end, before "Amen":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM8QA5ZX6fI

1980 Thundercraft v142 Restored

PostPosted: April 17th, 2020, 6:25 pm   

BTW, I'm not makin fun. I am trying to figure out a way to reconcile the situation in my mind too.. In our specific case, there are nuances at play that need careful consideration. But I do need to get up to our property to inspect the damage from the high water that happened on Apr13. I don't want things to get worse because of delayed repair. Cant figure out a way to do it without taking social risks..

PostPosted: April 17th, 2020, 6:48 pm   
Team Member

mattmak wrote:
BTW, I'm not makin fun. I am trying to figure out a way to reconcile the situation in my mind too.. In our specific case, there are nuances at play that need careful consideration. But I do need to get up to our property to inspect the damage from the high water that happened on Apr13. I don't want things to get worse because of delayed repair. Cant figure out a way to do it without taking social risks..

Matt, I enjoy fun, and more so to make it. We can either laugh or cry, I always chose former.
Wtf are you trying to reconcile? You have a right by law, or at least not prohibited, to access your property despite TGB trying to prevent you from doing so. Get in your car, drive straight there, or pick up a canoe/kayak from my place, go through private property or via crown land to your cottage. Do what you must, paddle back to shore, drop off canoe at my place, drive straight home. Matt,...seriously, where are you exposing yourself or anyone else. Opp told me i might expose myself/others if I go to restroom; he laughed when I told him i pissed on the side of the highway last time i went up, he can arrest me for urinating/exposing myself in public. He got it: men do what men gotta do.
Ask Coulter or Keeling,... I've been exposing myself for years, and look at me!

PostPosted: April 17th, 2020, 6:50 pm   

If someone of " authority" asks just lie to them thats what they do to us.
Oh and why am i paying car insurance if im not allowed to drive me car lol
Anyone getting the feeling we'r all being played.
I know the virus is real and fucking dangerous but this " new normal" as our totally inept PM has already made it known isn't going to go anywhere. Im sure the threat of political covid-19 will keep us tax payers in line.

Enjoy your properties.
And if Trailer Park Boys has tought us anything its if you wear a hard hat people will let you do pretty much anything lol

PostPosted: April 17th, 2020, 8:31 pm   
Team Member

Streamin wrote:
If someone of " authority" asks just lie to them thats what they do to us.
Oh and why am i paying car insurance if im not allowed to drive me car lol
Anyone getting the feeling we'r all being played.
I know the virus is real and fucking dangerous but this " new normal" as our totally inept PM has already made it known isn't going to go anywhere. Im sure the threat of political covid-19 will keep us tax payers in line.

Enjoy your properties.
And if Trailer Park Boys has tought us anything its if you wear a hard hat people will let you do pretty much anything lol

Oh and why am i paying car insurance if im not allowed to drive me car lol...
Yeah, why are you?
I don't want to make you cry, but I received email today from my Insco, telling me to call them next week to advise & confirm I am driving much less, and due to lower risk, they will reduce my premium for next 3months. Yep, just read it again.
With the $ I'm saving I'm buying 4mph for Voodoo.
Is your Insurance Broker the guy from whom you bought your penis enlargement vac pump?....Played, that's checkers, crazy eights, Yahtze; oh no, you're being screwed.

PostPosted: April 17th, 2020, 8:51 pm   

So T-party at your place lol
I'll bring my hard hat

PostPosted: April 17th, 2020, 8:59 pm   

oh crap, so that saved cash is going towards ego insurance, now..?

how much does 1mph cost nowadays?

PostPosted: April 18th, 2020, 12:09 am   

I'm with you on this one. If these restrictions stay in place longer than early May, I might take you up on your offer of a borrowed canoe. We have a small mainland parking area -- no boat ramp but provides water access, a fine place from which to canoe across [me + battery + gas tank]. I also want to deal with the mess the extreme high water left behind, re-build and raise my submerged shore/fixed dock section, re-connect floating dock sections that the ice ripped apart, and get my utility boat safely out of the flooded boathouse so that I can get building materials over to effect repairs before wind and waves make matters worse. I have no interest in or time for holidaying/partying -- when I go up May/Jun it is to work, not to play. Municipalities need to make a clear distinction between owners [who have work to do -- on their own] and renters [who would just be there to have fun and socialize].

PostPosted: April 18th, 2020, 2:50 pm   
Team Member

Further independent commentary/color to this issue:

April 9 Toronto Life story interviewing Phil Harding, Mayor, Muskoka Lakes : https://torontolife.com/city/life/stop- ... xN3RbbgzTU

April 13 Cogeco Interview with Dr Jim Chirico, Medical Officer of Health, North Bay Parry Sound District, simple, sound advice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEiabj7 ... kLa7-5h86s