It is currently May 8th, 2024, 10:19 am

HOW WE CAN GET MORE INTEREST BACK INTO T CLASS

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 PostPosted: December 16th, 2019, 4:49 pm   

Rowboat wrote:
There are some proposed changes to OPBRA that may generate some youth participation in T.
Stay tuned.

:D :D

2019 OPBRA Formula Champion

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: December 22nd, 2019, 10:14 am   

Shorten the course and change the rules to allow younger drivers to race their "40hp" powered boat.

Should be pretty easy to adapt a 2-3 lap demo to the race day schedule. Only issue I see is actual water conditions.
Peterborough is the only safe bet.

Even if we got 2-3 "40hp" racers out for a demo Im sure we could get a few T racers to join in to fill in the field. Give the kids a good idea of what its all about in a safe and real environment.

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2019, 11:30 am   
Team Member

Another thing we could try is to have interested people bring their T style boat to the event.
Before or after the event or maybe both there is a T school and they are allowed to test drive the race course in their own boat
with the guidance of the support group. During the event they could be part of the support staff and help out where needed.
Many interested people have two seat side by side VooDoos. They would be perfect for teaching new racers.
They could do laps with a current T racer and you could have a T for Two where 2 interested people share a boat and take turns driving.
With the rougher water conditions this T for Two type T boat could develop into a class using the family type non race V hulls that are common in our area.

PostPosted: December 29th, 2019, 11:22 am   
Team Member

Rowboat wrote:
There are some proposed changes to OPBRA that may generate some youth participation in T.
Stay tuned.

Just need to get out the rare 40 hp Mercury twin carb.
https://www.screamandfly.com/attachment ... 1390783054

PostPosted: December 30th, 2019, 12:16 pm   

I like the idea of run what ya brung.. We had some first timers this past season in OPBRA because they were flexible and allowed that to happen. Perhaps if folks to come out and get to participate with what they already have, then they'll get the bug to race for points and eventually be swayed to invest in the class. I also think that if clubs had 2 or 3 sets of safety gear available for rookies, it would help a lot. I was able to borrow gear for my first races and that was huge.

On another note, must be enough Tuff 16's in Muskoka to make at class of em at GH.. Just dreamin, maybe. But don't those boats already have enough flotation in them?

1980 Thundercraft v142 Restored

PostPosted: December 31st, 2019, 5:03 pm   
Team Member

Run what ya brung - could that include cottage boats? I will never own a race only boat, but could buy a VooDoo or similar boat if I could also use the boat.

PostPosted: December 31st, 2019, 5:24 pm   
Team Member

Even a 14' Sidewinder style hull with a 3cyl motor that was mentioned before would be a good class for newbies......There are lots of low cost boats like that available and most only had seating for 2 as well.

Viper Merc 200hp
12' Charger 60Hp OMC
Never Enough Boats!!

PostPosted: January 1st, 2020, 1:05 pm   

David, I have no problem running my cottage Voodoo at the races: all 2017 and most of 2019. I did alright and had a great time this past Sept at Peterborough.
It still has its full interior, carpet and both bench seats, right hand drive regular rotary/push-pull steering helm. Minimum required setup for racing is that you have enough flotation fastened/secured to the boat, and that all your running gear is also secured to the boat (strap down the battery, fuel tank, paddle). Engine ignition kill switch needs to be functional. Others can confirm but I'm not sure if the throttle needs a return spring or not (can you run with just a side mount throttle?). I remove the bench seats and bolt in a light fiberglass seat for racing - that saves me 25lbs and keeps me from sliding around the bench, but I did race in early 2017 with the front bench in with just a folded up towel for a cushion.

I don't think you should really consider a T-boat a race boat only. Things that make it race-y-er like aircraft style string steering, foot throttle, center steer helm location, short shaft motor, and steering mounted trim switches all help to make the boat more enjoyable even at the late just out for a fun run. Those things give you better control and better response and feedback when dealing with boat wakes and rough water.

Progression of things you will need and should consider:

Essentials:
- enough flotation
- strap everything in to the boat, nothing loose.
- kill switch functional

best to haves:
- foot throttle
- steering mounted power trim controls

nice to have:
- center located steering helm
- short shaft motor

eventually, maybe:
- aircraft style string steering and wing plates.

1980 Thundercraft v142 Restored

PostPosted: January 1st, 2020, 5:01 pm   
Team Member

David wrote:
Run what ya brung - could that include cottage boats? I will never own a race only boat, but could buy a VooDoo or similar boat if I could also use the boat.

Run what ya brung
So long as what you bring fits within the class motor displacement rule.
So the maximum displacement motor you could run in T Class is currently 60 cubic inch.
You must have the necessary safety equipment as Matt mentions in the post above.
We have run 49 cubic inch OMC motors in T750.
T rules include the fair competition rule where by the boat runs in the class where it is most competitive.
The T class group will decide in which class you would race.
There would not be an issue with Tim's Sidewinder 49 OMC racing in T750.
If David's cottage VooDoo is a 49 long shaft OMC it too would likely run T750.

ALL OF THE RUN WHAT YA BRUNG OUTFITS WOULD BE MIDDLE TO REAR OF THE PACK RUNNERS AND HOPEFULLY NOT CHANGE THE TOP 3 ORDER OF FINISH .

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2020, 9:46 pm   

I ran what I brang all year

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next