It is currently April 28th, 2024, 8:25 am

Prop work, another question

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 28th, 2012, 8:45 pm   
Team Member

I tried a 27 Hoss copy on my Baja (thanks Max). Too much pitch but it just rolled onto a plane with no drama.

Then I tried a 26 small ear. Same top end but it pegged the rev limiter coming onto a plane.

Is there anything I can have done to the small ear to help it plane? A whale tale of some sort would probably work, but I can't see putting holes in the new Etec.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: June 28th, 2012, 9:33 pm   
Team Member

Oh lord please don't say the word whale tale lol. Some of the best wheels are the ones that barely plane :) But if your top end is suffering likely a 26 cleaver of some sort would be on the money, need more wheels to try ;) Often even the best wheel you find still has to be sent away to tend to specific issues. Once you work the wheel you believe is your #1 than you're set! But its not just slap two on and good to go ;) Lots of testing.

PostPosted: June 29th, 2012, 9:00 pm   
Team Member

On my SS 2000, I have a Bob's True Tracker, and a lot of over hub props just roll onto a plane without drama. I get a bit of spin, but nothing crazy with a few others. My strategy with the Ally is not to work the best props. Don't fix what works. I had my second tier prop worked this spring though.

On my Baja, a 23 SRX and the 27 Hoss copy planed easily. The small ear pegs the limiter. Practically for 1 mph, the bigger over hub props aren't worth the loss of acceleration compared to the 24 Laser I have. I'll give Kawartha props a ring about my planing issues with the one prop and see what they suggest.

PostPosted: July 16th, 2012, 10:22 pm   
Team Member

David - what are you trying to achieve - all out speed or overall performance?

Charger 18 DL, 2.6L Yamaha

PostPosted: July 17th, 2012, 7:50 pm   
Team Member

With the Baja/115 HO I've got a ski prop on that we use 99% of the time. I was trying to see how fast the boat would go with an over hub prop because it just seemed necessary.

It would be nice to be able to get on a plane easier with the speed prop, but it's not vital.

I think with a prop change and perhaps an engine height change, I can set up for speed or skiing. When I had a 100 I used the same engine height for both, but that might change with the new motor.