It is currently May 21st, 2024, 7:33 am

CIRCLE....DRAG.....BOATOCROSS.....ALUMINUM BOAT RACING

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 12th, 2017, 4:58 pm   
Team Member

For some time I have been thinking of a way to get NEW people interested in Boat Racing and Friendly Competition, plus add something different to our boat race events.

First off we need something to appeal to kids under 16. They are mostly not old school boat and motor types. The like new ideas!
The 40 hp rule is in Ontario and that must be part of the class. Also the boat has to be multiple function.

THE CUSTOM BOAT..it is made all aluminum
The boat is 13 feet long. It has a 19 inch transom. It is a V type hull. It weighs 200 lb. It has a floor in it. It is similar to the AUSSIE 30 hp class they race in their rivers. [just a little larger]. The racer buys the boat as a shell with a floor. They add the seat and the space between the floor and the boat bottom is filled with flotation foam. The boats are ALL THE SAME.

The boats compete in a number of events depending what the promoter[s] want.
- they could circle race with one or two in the boat
- they could drag race
- they could have a BOATOCROSS competition...single boat timed runs around a tricky buoyed course...fastest time is the winner.
GO PRO's cameras will be on all boats for competitors and fan viewing.

DO YOU LIKE THE IDEA? WOULD YOU BUY A BOAT? WHAT CHANGES WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE?

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: January 12th, 2017, 6:44 pm   
Team Member

Hmmmm
Remove the floatation foam, add a cooler and some chicks in bikinis (or not) and it sounds like my adolescent years!!
I think it would be a hit!

PostPosted: January 12th, 2017, 7:14 pm   

kinda guessing here, but I have a feeling the cost of one of those boats will be too high.

I know a similar builder who charges approx 1k per foot. So even at half or a third of that for a stripped down race boat, how many are gunna feel it is worth it?

1980 Thundercraft v142 Restored

PostPosted: January 12th, 2017, 8:20 pm   
Team Member

I can't see a 14' tinner selling for $14,000, that seems insane to me. But then again, I've never really shopped for one lol... There are a few guys on this site in the metal fab business, maybe they can shed some light on the affordability of something like this. Marc (1ibandit) or maybe even Brent (rowboat) would probably be happy to give their input

PostPosted: January 12th, 2017, 8:34 pm   

Ok, well, based on that link in HD's other thread, it is 10k for 16 feet for a medium equipped, non-race trim boat. So will it be 3 or 4k for a 12 to 14 ft race hull? TIG Welded, plus materials..

How much are people willing to pay for a made to order TIG welded aluminum tiller steer race boat?

And then, how different of an expense and experience would this be compared to the tiller inflatables? (thundercat/thunderducks)

1980 Thundercraft v142 Restored

PostPosted: January 12th, 2017, 10:47 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Cost is going to be a big issue initially.....if you get a bunch of guys and it's fun more people are willing to spend. T boat was the same deal we started small then people saw the insanity and people bought new boats and full rip motors...then politics and life happened lol.

As I'm doing price lists for TIBS at this very moment I can tell you a factory built riveted 14' tinner is $3k...so it's pretty much the same cost as an T750 package but you save on the steering.

To make this interesting I think an enduro/Aussie style race is the ticket. My co-pilot is 6 years old and less than 50lbs...so I should be equal to the Coulter boys...

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: January 13th, 2017, 12:19 am   
Team Member

This was the last post on the fishing boat thread.
Hounddog wrote:
Hounddog wrote:
I may have found a fellow in Ontario that can build us a custom aluminum race boat.

Here is an example of his workmanship
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-motorb ... 1230556790

I am thinking of a 13 foot, 200 lb, semi V with a 19 inch transom. Similar to the Aussie 30 hp on the videos.
I will keep you up-dated.
This would be strong long lasting boats.

Well Mark is very interested in making the aluminum race boat;
Here is his reply:
Hi Don. That is a very cool sport, I have seen the small racers with the steering but had no idea about the tiller steering racers. I could build a prototype that would certainly be similar. As far as price I would need to know exactly how much time involved. If that is what you were expecting then we can talk further. Thanks..Mark

Some things parents were worried about;
A regular fishing boat is not built well enough.
The boat has to have floatation
If they were spending money they wanted a boat that will last.
They also wanted a boat that could be used as a cottage boat.

Because this is a custom built boat it will be far superior to any fishing boat.
On the lake it would be the fastest boat with a 30 hp motor....speed close to 50 mph
The design would incorporate all the features that make the southern drag, Aussie and GT30 boats fast.
Wide stable V hull, low in the bow, wedge shape to keep the nose down, light weight yet super tough.
No wood in the boat so it will last for years. Maintenance free.
You can leave the boat tied at your dock and enjoy it as a pleasure craft.

PostPosted: January 13th, 2017, 10:52 am   
Team Member

I would love to see a pic. of what he has in mind.

PostPosted: January 13th, 2017, 4:29 pm   
Team Member

sharpeye Mike wrote:
I would love to see a pic. of what he has in mind.

Mike I really like the DECK designs of the strip boats the southern boys drag race.
Notice the way the deck curves down toward the bow. They have improved the design over many years.
http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/a ... 1364705868
The design is common with their boats and it keeps the bow from lifting on a single person tiller boat.
The disadvantage of their boat is it is a river racer and we need a boat that can run on a lake.

The Aussie Dingy racers are reinforced production model aluminum boats. They too are river race boats. They are durable.
http://www.videami.com/wp-content/uploa ... ustral.jpg

GT30 boats are V hulls and run over 50 mph with 30 hp motors on LAKE RACE OVALS with a total boat, motor, driver weight about 500 lbs. Their disadvantage is they are a pure race boat with a short life span.
http://www.powerboatgp.co.uk/image.php? ... &width=650

I think we can have a better boat by using the best features from each type of boat.
So picture that strip boat in aluminum with a V bottom and you have my vision.
http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/a ... 1364705868
I would even put a wood vinyl wrap on one.

PostPosted: January 13th, 2017, 8:15 pm   
Team Member

Before you guys get all excited about custom aluminum race hulls, wouldn't it be prudent to actually ask the question...
- How many Racer Dads are out there and how many of them want to step up to the plate for $5-8K

I would think, give the vast talent available here that doing a test series running reinforced off-the-shelf Jon boats with say 25Hp motors would be a good place to start.
Easy for some to spend large but if only 4 guys show up to race, not likely you're gonna have a series.

2 cents from an experienced Racer Dad.