It is currently June 15th, 2024, 4:38 pm

Dual configure interior

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 28th, 2016, 7:20 pm   

Ive been looking around the interweb to see if theres any example. Im woundering if any owner, or manufacturer has ever made a dual helm/steering position HP boat. The idea is to have two front buckets and bench with side steering. Then, be able to take the rear bench out, and run back to back buckets and center steer.

It would need two helms/columns with a quick releses steering wheel. I know it would add wieght of the second helm, and lines.

Im just woundering if theres any examples, and if so, how did they do it? I seen a sliding helm on tracks, and thats the closest thing i found.

I dont think i would do it. Im just woundering. Seems it would be decent idea for a family go-fast ski boat thing.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: November 28th, 2016, 7:36 pm   
Team Member

Allison offers it in one of their models, GS I think.
Steering is on a slider, seats, I'm not sure.

PostPosted: November 28th, 2016, 8:53 pm   
Team Member

Quick detach wheel and a couple of hydraulic helms.....
A little costly but will work

The slide idea would be more cost efficient.

PostPosted: November 28th, 2016, 8:58 pm   
Team Member

I've got a couple Wagner hydraulic helms from a dual system if you want to experiment.
They're larger than Seastar
$100 for the pair

PostPosted: November 28th, 2016, 10:42 pm   
Team Member

Allison does it in the SS2000 Excel (I think that what the specific model is).....Ted Biglows boat has it.
Not quite centre steer, not quite side steer....but it's a great compromise.
2 removable front buckets with an extra mount in the centre.

PostPosted: November 29th, 2016, 2:12 am   

The Allison tip is what i needed. I searched that out, and must say its interesting. Not exaclty what i was thinking, but close. Its easier to change, but a slight comprimise to true center. I could deal with right to left foot throttle.

In my situation, owners of my hull that push them say balance is very critical. I know i can play with the battery, gas tank, etc. When I hear about adding ballast weights thats what makes me think about this. If you add more ballast wieght then the wieght of an extra helm it becomes a reasonable move.

It's hard for me to commit to center steer, and now is time to decide. I was thinking single bucket and a removable bench in the back at first. The idea of a small bench in front seems decent too, but has its negitives also.

Im not super smart on hydro orbital steering, but i would think there would be a way to connect the two hydro helms at the dash, and have ball valves to make the switch. Or maybe have them both live all the time. Thinking the least amount of line and fluid. I will look up those helms offered.

Thanks for the replies and offer. Awesome web site!

PostPosted: November 29th, 2016, 9:31 pm   
Team Member

There are offshore boats with dual helms.
My SS2000 has the side slide driver seat. As noted not quite center or side. Sometimes I drive directly behind the wheel. Not quite perfectly cantered but good enough for not quite top speed. The rear bench comes out and the passenger bucket can be placed in the rear. I keep the boat near Rama if you want to see it.

PostPosted: November 30th, 2016, 5:54 pm   

Thanks for all the info. Allison is a smart boat company, and the more i look at it, the more i understand why they did it that way.

There really is no sense in two full helms less then two feet apart. A slider can be used as long as the plumbing/cables can move enough. I would need the Ally dash slider, or make my own. The seats, i would just have 4 mounts on the floor in the rite spots instead of the side slide drivers seat. It Would be fun, but theres way more important work to get done on my boat before summer.

Its a cool idea, and glad to see a dedicated company offers the option. Im just gonna keep it side steer for now. When the boat gets more power I will look at this again, or just go dedicated center steer then. Thanks All!