It is currently July 3rd, 2024, 5:18 am

Critchfield, Delta, VooDoo

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 27th, 2016, 8:24 pm   
Team Member

What are the relative differences, advantages, all things being equal?

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: September 27th, 2016, 8:57 pm   
Team Member

Although you've presented a blank canvas, your question must be qualified for an answer narrowed to suit your purpose; otherwise we'll be here for weeks with endless opinions, disagreements, misunderstandings, predictable shit storm with eventual name calling....and that's before PhilnJack weighs in.
All things being equal, what purpose do you envision for a ~13' performance pad Vhull, and what power?...and don't reply with 'an all round great boat'. Is it for you/kids/girlfriend & wife/lake pleasure/racing?....see where we can go?

If/when you narrow it down, with greatest respect most of us T guys would defer to Houndog to get ball rolling on this broad topic; he's seen, done, driven it all, and daily after 12 noon he's enjoying happy hour, his fingers get itchy to share encyclopedic knowledge which most enjoy.

PostPosted: September 27th, 2016, 11:44 pm   
Team Member

David wrote:
What are the relative differences, advantages, all things being equal?

First off you need to include the Allison, both the 13 and 14 footers.
As a single seat centre steer pure raceboat running 65 to 70 mph my choice would be a Critchfield because they corner better and handle better.
At speeds 73 to 80 mph my raceboat choice would be a Rapid Craft because they handle the speed better and don't launch or fly when the water gets rough. A 14 Allison is also very good in this speed.
The best lake runners in the 60 to 65 mph are the VooDoos. They're a little deeper and bigger so you can do more with them. Even a normal weight hull with a big kilo prop can run over 70 mph.
In the last few years I have really been impressed with the Deltas and 13 Foot Allisons running the T750 motors. Thom's Allison which is 100 lbs overweight runs over 60 mph. Paul's Critchfield has topped 62 mph. If we got those Delta molds and built some composite 170 lb Delta's, those boats could be even better. The Delta in my view is better with a T750 motor. The Delta has a good amount of lift and at speeds over 65 mph it is a challenge to set the boat for a turn in a race. The nose does not want to come down. The natural lift becomes an advantage with the smaller motor. Jake showed how you could float the boat thru the turns.

Bottom line is..if it is a race boat application..buy a pure race boat..if it is a lake boat..get an open style boat.

Just an extra note: the 56 OMC has turned all of these hulls into a different and dangerous boat. When Deltas first appeared in the mid 1970's, the raceboats ran 65 mph at best. The common motor was the 49 OMC. The kilo record was 70 mph. To-day the T850 top GPS recorded speed is close to 81 mph with a 56 OMC. When APBA was racing FV with mod 3 cylinder motors Steve Coolers Rapid Craft was the top boat. It ran low 80's on the race course and that class weight was 200 lbs heavier than T850.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2016, 8:50 pm   
Team Member

Thanks. Very interesting that the answer is speed dependent. Yes, I was asking about racing, should have been more clear. T boats are my favourite boats to watch race at Gravenhurst.

It's just interest. I have no time to be racing.

As for a recreational boat, I had a Voo Doo and loved it, but I don't want a 3rd boat. Although if my brother wanted to replace his Waverunner with a Voo Doo, I'd throw in some coin.