View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 10th, 2016, 8:40 am   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvJZJtDl73Q

ISO Barefoot Sanger OB

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: May 10th, 2016, 1:04 pm   
Team Member

I tried awhile ago to see if the was any race interest up here. I did get some interest and some interest in the 10 and 11 foot Invader style boats. They are to similar to T750 and the idea of having 5 boats at a race for novice drivers to race was too difficult to get the boats there. I am currently looking at 12 foot aluminum boats and running 30 hp manual start motors. The 5 boats can be stacked on one trailer and the motors mounted at the race. The boats can also serve as tow or corner boats at the races. There lots of these hulls in the marketplace at fair prices. At this point I don't know what manfacturer(s) would be best and there is a wide difference in weights.

PostPosted: May 10th, 2016, 6:34 pm   
Team Member

[quote="Hounddog"] I am currently looking at 12 foot aluminum boats and running 30 hp manual start motors. The 5 boats can be stacked on one trailer and the motors mounted at the race. The boats can also serve as tow or corner boats at the races. There lots of these hulls in the marketplace at fair prices. At this point I don't know what manfacturer(s) would be best and there is a wide difference in weights.[/quote

Don't get your hopes up yet. It is an interesting idea and may work as a hobby class with a boat and motor total cost of approximately $1500.00. There are about 100 of these boats for sale now on Kijiji. The class would use 2 cylinder 30 hp motors. The motors are less costly than a 9.9 hp. You must run a stock aluminum prop and there would be a claimer price for the boat and motor for approximately $1800.00. The boats run approximately 45 mph and are a challenge to drive at that speed. No car top model hulls (120 to 130 lbs) you must run the stronger 200 lb hulls. Sponsors could own the boat and drivers pay them a fee to race it or racers own their outfit.

PostPosted: May 10th, 2016, 8:23 pm   

So no wood boats as shown in the video? I'd buy one just to play with, but it would be nice to be able to race it too. Also what about claiming the motor not the hull?

ISO Barefoot Sanger OB

PostPosted: May 10th, 2016, 11:25 pm   
Team Member

I tried wood boats, kit boats, any type and got no interest. The TIN boats are cheap. Many are $300. To $600. So not a lot of investment. You keep the claimer price low to stop racers from spending a lot of money on their motor. Hobby racing is a way to try the sport. If you like the experience you race in another class. Up here there are not many who have played with a 12 foot aluminium with a 30 hp. The southern boys say the type of hull does not matter. The boat runs with no hull touching at speed and they do hop-skip-jump turns. When you start something new like this idea you need to test and find out what works . Maybe you allow either tiller or a steering wheel. The wheel could be mounted on the centre seat. Or maybe you try it and the idea does not work period.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3270

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1443

Last edited by Hounddog on May 11th, 2016, 7:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2016, 2:28 am   

I like the dingy durby in Australia, to bad theres bot many river like that here we could run on

PostPosted: May 11th, 2016, 7:37 am   
Team Member

There are many advantages to using these tin boats. The boats would come as a group on a single trailer to every race. They can serve as turn and tow boats during the race schedule. They could also be used to take interested people for a ride during the 15 to 20 minute patrol boat changes. Gopro cameras can record their experience so they have a record. Many people are not interested in real racing. They may like this idea and are happy to bring their boat and help out.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2016, 4:49 pm   

It would be nice if the thunder cat raceing got more popular here again. I got mine without intensions of racing since its all us but if enough ppl stepped up who have one id race it for sure