It is currently May 2nd, 2024, 12:33 pm

I bet there are law suits over high water in Muskoka Lakes

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 PostPosted: September 21st, 2016, 7:54 pm   

I really believe it is for water storage for the Bala project. Rosseau and Joe aren't on the same level as Muskoka . If Muskoka was kept high it would have to rise to the Rosseau and Joe levels for it to have an effect on the last two. I find it hard (but not impossible ) that two separate levels were screwed up. I would be curious to hear how the water levels were on lakes further up the Muskoka river. If they were high I really would not believe one word out of Queen's Park (not that I do anyway). Funny how the voters that rammed windmills down rural communities throats don't share the same love for alternative power sources when they are inconvenienced. Bet they wish they had "gas plants " last April.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: September 22nd, 2016, 5:42 pm   
Team Member

Their water management system explanation for fall and winter water levels is not going to help their defence.
http://www.muskokawaterweb.ca/water-101 ... ter-levels

Fall and Winter
Prior to the implementation of the Muskoka River Water Management Plan , many of the lakes controlled by dams were significantly lowered over the winter to maximize their capacity to store flood waters during the spring snow melt period. However advances in the understanding of lake trout biology through initiatives such as the Kawagama Lake Project have shown that lake trout eggs and/or fry were likely being exposed when winter drawdown levels were too low.
The current operating strategy for lake trout lakes is to reduce the extent of the winter drawdown of lake levels in order to protect eggs and fry. However, if a high water or flood event is anticipated, lake levels are lowered to a greater extent in order to protect shoreline property and reduce the potential for flooding.

Their going to need to sell tons of Lake Trout to pay the law suit.

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2016, 8:19 am   

Hounddog wrote:
Their water management system explanation for fall and winter water levels is not going to help their defence.
http://www.muskokawaterweb.ca/water-101 ... ter-levels

Fall and Winter
Prior to the implementation of the Muskoka River Water Management Plan , many of the lakes controlled by dams were significantly lowered over the winter to maximize their capacity to store flood waters during the spring snow melt period. However advances in the understanding of lake trout biology through initiatives such as the Kawagama Lake Project have shown that lake trout eggs and/or fry were likely being exposed when winter drawdown levels were too low.
The current operating strategy for lake trout lakes is to reduce the extent of the winter drawdown of lake levels in order to protect eggs and fry. However, if a high water or flood event is anticipated, lake levels are lowered to a greater extent in order to protect shoreline property and reduce the potential for flooding.

Their going to need to sell tons of Lake Trout to pay the law suit.

You can bet that is going to come up in court. It essentially says they have recently changed strategy with regard to lake drawdown, coincidentally about when problems with shoreline damage started.

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2016, 9:01 am   
Team Member

There will be the usual government finger pointing with no one wanting to be responsible. Their initial response to the suit was ...it was the wind that shifted the ice and caused the damage. Wind is not a rare happening and the ice did cause the damage, but, the problem was the high water level. The water was over the docks when the ice shifted. The boathouses were directly impacted by the ice.
They had the first damage in 2013 and did not learn from it. This law suit is a strong case!

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2016, 4:56 pm   

i they should just knock all the boat houses down, problem solved.. that way the lake trout can have all the water they need... who knows maybe the walleye will be able to re populate in rosseau some day..

what about brook trout in lake muskoka? oh wait they're all dead..

http://muskokarealestateservices.com/wp ... a_Lake.pdf

^ NOTE THE BIG "E" beside brook trout.. Extirpated....

what really blows my mind is humans are willing to wipe out an entire species or more, just so they can enjoy looking at their extra house floating in the water 3 weeks out of the year..

if the mnr is keeping water up for the fish i hope that they continue to do so.. :|

if it had anything to do with hydro generation then i hope someone gets the book thrown at them!!

i truly hope that if it was proven to be mismanagement that they can resolve the issues in the future and keep the waterlevels in check for everyone so the Fish, the hydro dicks, and the terrorists can all coexist in perfect harmony..

19' tempest picklefork 84 mod vpcarb 102mph

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2016, 5:12 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

BoomerMuskoka wrote:
i they should just knock all the boat houses down, problem solved.. that way the lake trout can have all the water they need... who knows maybe the walleye will be able to re populate in rosseau some day..

what about brook trout in lake muskoka? oh wait they're all dead..

^ NOTE THE BIG "E" beside brook trout.. Extirpated....

what really blows my mind is humans are willing to wipe out an entire species or more, just so they can enjoy looking at their extra house floating in the water 3 weeks out of the year..

if the mnr is keeping water up for the fish i hope that they continue to do so.. :|

if it had anything to do with hydro generation then i hope someone gets the book thrown at them!!

i truly hope that if it was proven to be mismanagement that they can resolve the issues in the future and keep the waterlevels in check for everyone so the Fish, the hydro dicks, and the terrorists can all coexist in perfect harmony..

Hippy

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2016, 7:38 pm   
Team Member

[quote="BoomerMuskoka"]
If you have ever had to do a major dock repair, the fisheries people are pro-active making sure you do not do things to hurt the fish. They stock the lake every year with lake trout . It was the use of DDT that killed off the fish, as stated on the link. Lake Muskoka is a hard bottom lake and similar to a glass. Most of that harmful stuff stays.

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2016, 8:58 pm   

Hounddog wrote:
BoomerMuskoka wrote:
If you have ever had to do a major dock repair, the fisheries people are pro-active making sure you do not do things to hurt the fish. They stock the lake every year with lake trout . It was the use of DDT that killed off the fish, as stated on the link. Lake Muskoka is a hard bottom lake and similar to a glass. Most of that harmful stuff stays.

i have seen what goes on while constructing these cottages i have worked on many job sites and have many friends in the construction/matinence trade in muskoka and they are FAR from harmless to the lakes.. the efforts the contractors make to keep poisons and harmful materials out of the lake are futile at best...

stocking efforts have been made in muskoka and some species are thriving.. ( possibly getting better now that we have had high water for the last few years ;) :mrgreen: . i could show you the creeks that used to feed muskoka with brook trout and you tell me construction wasn't the cause of their demise... i understand that people recognise the impacts now more so than they did 20-30 50-100 years ago.. i can agree most of the damage has already been done..

lake joe is currently self sustaining. current regulations and an extended closed season are helping that like big time.. the stocking efforts in the other 2 lakes will never sustain the lakes they were only meant to supplement the natural reproduction. they need to protect what's left..

19' tempest picklefork 84 mod vpcarb 102mph

PostPosted: September 24th, 2016, 8:52 am   
Team Member

Some good points Boomer. I agree that some of the multi million dollar mega cottage projects don't give a damn about the lake. Us little guys do! In the 30 plus years we have been on the lake I have seen the changes . We had weed beds and lots of small fish near our boathouse. All gone. They said the acid rain killed the weeds. Then it was DDT from golf courses getting into the water. Then it was the spray they used to kill the caterpillars. Likely it's all of them. Prior to being on Lake Muskoka we were on Lake Simcoe. It was a mess with Barrie dumping untreated waste into the lake. Once that stopped and others cleaned up their act the lake recovered. The difference is Simcoe is a soft bottom lake and the bad stuff got filtered out.

PostPosted: January 17th, 2017, 4:56 pm   

So I had a look at the snow water eqv. compared to previous years at this time. As it looks so far without the added rain of today more water so far this winter in the snow pack than 2016 last year , more than 2015 , 2014 had more by this point but not much. The dry summer and not a big load of rain this fall will likely even things out. If the rains and snow load keep coming then who knows. Check it again in a month.
http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/interactive/ ... &js=1&uc=0
Use this link to compare years, left side margin choose your info , snow depth , water equivalent , melt , lots to look at. When comparing the actual depth, what you see on the ground to the fallen totals on the screen you must consider the compaction over time and use the density and water equivalent tools. :ugeek: A few days of warm temps before getting cold again will help stretch out the melt a bit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next