It is currently May 4th, 2024, 1:22 pm

What is a Yamaha Excel?

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 7th, 2012, 11:12 pm   
Team Member

mitchie wrote:
I struggle with this as well. I've seen a few of the identicle boats to me getting lower numbers with the X. Im sure the X is smooth and nice but I don't think it has more power. I really don't think that ANY 225 hp rated motor will run with an early promax. I may be wrong.. But I read alot on the internet. :ugeek:

I don't actually know for sure, I was just re-stating what I've been told. I'm hoping that at some point this summer though that I'll be able to try my dad's motor. I know what my motor is capable of doing (a "promax") and I'll run my dad's motor (an "X"). It's the best way to know for sure because it will be run on the exact same boat with the exact same set-up.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: June 7th, 2012, 11:12 pm   
Team Member

Tom you have inspried me to clean up my turd cowl now. My Wifey is on it now too and her crazy mad graphic skills. It really looks great. Can't wait to see it on your boat.

David - You can still find them if you look. I picked a 225 up last fall. Also about 2 months ago I saw a pair of Excel's complete for sale on kijiji for about $1000.00. Sure they may need a rebuild but the parts are there to go fast reliably.

About those 225 Promaxes, yes they really do seem like pound for pound one of the top performers out there. They don't require the planned rebuilds that the bigger Mercs do and push boats fast. Perfect for those guys that want to go fast but don't want to go crazy or blow their wallets up...

Charger 18 DL, 2.6L Yamaha

PostPosted: June 8th, 2012, 11:53 am   
Team Member

dubber wrote:
Tom you have inspried me to clean up my turd cowl now. My Wifey is on it now too and her crazy mad graphic skills. It really looks great. Can't wait to see it on your boat.

Let me know if "wifey" wants me to send the vector files for her to play with.
They are in Illustrator format

PostPosted: June 10th, 2012, 7:49 pm   
Team Member

With the Promax you get solid mounts, a sporty, and a 6750 rev limiter. It would take some coin with the Yamaha to add solid mounts and a nose cone. What does the Yamaha rev to?

Another Cooch weekend of cruiser wakes. I could use more acceleration, but I'm not using the speed I have.

PostPosted: June 10th, 2012, 11:12 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

David wrote:
With the Promax you get solid mounts, a sporty, and a 6750 rev limiter. It would take some coin with the Yamaha to add solid mounts and a nose cone. What does the Yamaha rev to?

Another Cooch weekend of cruiser wakes. I could use more acceleration, but I'm not using the speed I have.

It really depends on your approach...first a 225 promax is $6-7k to buy...where the Yamaha is $3-4k. Solid mounts are cheap...but if you have to pay to get them installed they become insane. The same goes for the lower...the cone kit is cheap but the install is pricey. My 225 turn 6820 on my digitron MANY times on the SRV....AND it has oil injection. If you are a DIY guy (like me) than the Yamaha is a bargain...I know guys that have more money in their sporty than I have in my whole engine...but it ain't black...sooo...

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: June 13th, 2012, 9:49 am   
Team Member

Tom that cowl looks great. I might keep an eye out for an old one so that I can Pimp it up like yours. i still like my original and it is minty.