It is currently April 28th, 2024, 5:07 am

Diesel Generators

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 27th, 2013, 7:05 pm   
Team Member

Anyone have a good contact for 6.5 to 10kw diesel generators?
Been without power for 6 days in Scar. Figure I'll use it now then park it at a job site where I'll build a retirement home far away from Fiord Nation.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: December 28th, 2013, 12:51 am   
Team Member

That is a decent size genset. With the recent outage it would be hard to find one ready to roll - even rent. Are you looking for portable or stationary / hardwired in with a manual transfer switch?

I have no suppliers in mind that could do something quick, more curious.

Charger 18 DL, 2.6L Yamaha

PostPosted: December 28th, 2013, 9:33 am   
Team Member

Found this...
http://www.auroragenerators.com/generat ... d=13323984
Looks like a decent machine from a reputable supplier. Unfortunately they're closed for the holidays but will follow up.
Doesn't include transfer switch, the Generlink seems to be the simplest and most effective for home users.

PostPosted: December 28th, 2013, 10:20 am   

Tomcat wrote:
Found this...
http://www.auroragenerators.com/generat ... d=13323984
Looks like a decent machine from a reputable supplier. Unfortunately they're closed for the holidays but will follow up.
Doesn't include transfer switch, the Generlink seems to be the simplest and most effective for home users.

just be careful with the diesel anything. as a retired diesel mechanic all I can say is when things go wrong with diesel stuff . its big time. lots of money . parts and availability . fuel may gel when super cold out. they stink all the time. my self it would be gas 1st propane second. jmo.

I have an old 5500 Kodiak generator . never let me down has a Honda gas engine. can't go wrong. it sat for 2 yerars went out to the shed started first pull and never missed a beat for 4 hrs.

our whole neighbor hood has propane generators hooked up directly to the big propane tanks. they start automatically and I have never heard any complaints about starting in the cold. just my 2 cents. that thing you want to do is have to work on your generator when theres no power.

1981 charger dl v8 sold

PostPosted: December 28th, 2013, 10:40 am   
Team Member

Greg brings up a good point regarding gas vs. diesel
You can buy 3 or 4 knock off gas gens for the price of one diesel

And V8Charged makes a real good point about diesel repair costs

Leaning towards gas at this point with a Generlink http://www.generlink.com/about_generlink.cfm

PostPosted: December 28th, 2013, 5:31 pm   

TOM,

This is my setup...pretty basic...a Protran made by Reliance Controls...apparently the kit can be had from Costco for about $600...and just powered by a a dime a dozen Champion Gas Generator (6500W). Connected by a 50' Cable to the generator that sits in its own outdoor enclosure...easy enough to use. Plug Gen cable in at each end, switch of grid, fire gen, switch to gen power. All and all, less then $1300 investment....worked reliable for about 4 yrs now...generator is just LOUD ;)

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: December 28th, 2013, 5:32 pm   

Pic? I guess it won't let me post the pic?

http://www.reliancecontrols.com/pro-tran.aspx

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: December 28th, 2013, 8:32 pm   

A decent genny and a switch of your choice is all you need. That's what my dad runs at the lake and his last real big power outage was over 60 days and it held up fine. (that was about 20 yrs ago) but still nothing for it to be out for quite a while. Gets expensive with gas for that long but atleast you living somewhat normally.

PostPosted: December 29th, 2013, 10:21 am   

found this info out on last Friday. my brother n law lives in T O . his neighbor owns a Subaru hybrid. he connected his Subaru to his house panel and had power when the power was out. very good idea . he said he burned very little fuel ran it for 4 days . very cool . if you could find a write off hybrid this might be a good idea .

1981 charger dl v8 sold

PostPosted: December 29th, 2013, 10:42 am   
User Requested 1 Month Ban - Denied

v8 charged wrote:
found this info out on last Friday. my brother n law lives in T O . his neighbor owns a Subaru hybrid. he connected his Subaru to his house panel and had power when the power was out. very good idea . he said he burned very little fuel ran it for 4 days . very cool . if you could find a write off hybrid this might be a good idea .

That is too cool of a idea :ugeek: … Hybrid vehicles should see a increase in sales if they all do that ... :geek: