It is currently October 6th, 2024, 6:42 pm

Lake Cumberland accident

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 8th, 2013, 9:19 pm   

http://youtu.be/brBTPnREiKA
Just a reminder, at 100+, (in this case 150+) shit goes wrong in a hurry.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: September 8th, 2013, 9:39 pm   
Team Member

Holy crap.... Never want to see something like that happen.

PostPosted: September 8th, 2013, 10:10 pm   

that was nuts ,, that shit does happen !!! :o

19' tempest picklefork 84 mod vpcarb 102mph

PostPosted: September 8th, 2013, 11:05 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

This is awful...one minute you're trucking along having the time of you life and the next second you and your buddy are dead.

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: September 9th, 2013, 11:54 am   
Team Member

It's going to happen much more in the future if things continue as they are now. I'm no preacher but that shit in an uncontrolled environment is getting outta hand.
Why would you A shut the door on some one behind you or B try to be a hero and decide to cross a wake at that speed so close to the stern of the boat in front of you when you should know its like a ramp.

Very sorry for the families but its far from tragic. The word tragic should be used for an accident and not for poor choices.

That kind of stuff is why severe speed limits will eventually be imposed and make all HP boaters look irresponsible.

2017 OGW Nitrous Shootout Champion
2016 OSCA True Street champion
2015 OSCA 8.90 2nd in Championship

..... just a little SBF at 8.39

PostPosted: September 9th, 2013, 1:02 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Jeff Yammer wrote:
It's going to happen much more in the future if things continue as they are now. I'm no preacher but that shit in an uncontrolled environment is getting outta hand.
Why would you A shut the door on some one behind you or B try to be a hero and decide to cross a wake at that speed so close to the stern of the boat in front of you when you should know its like a ramp.

Very sorry for the families but its far from tragic. The word tragic should be used for an accident and not for poor choices.

That kind of stuff is why severe speed limits will eventually be imposed and make all HP boaters look irresponsible.

It's hard to say who was doing what...BECAUSE it was in an uncontrolled environment...there looks like there are pleasure boater in the mix there to so who knows if either boat was trying to avoid one of them. You are exactly right about this having HUGE implications on all boating if it continues. These are big boats that attact a lot of attention so the impact of an accident is much greater than two guys capsizing a canoe and not making it to shore. It's this type of thing that scares me about running fast on the lake in general...we've all had a scare...and an inch or mph one way or the other and our days may have been much different. Hitting a cruiser wake at 100mph in my boat would ruin my weekend....makes you think....

Not that it really matters at 160mph but what do these guys use for safety equipment? An open cockpit boat at that speed seems a bit agressive....

The whole poker run deal is going to have to change...even running 100+ with that many boats needs to be looked at and re-classified as a race. Get the cruisers and fishermen out of the way...then at least there's no one to point fingers at but the participants themselves.

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: September 9th, 2013, 1:48 pm   
TORC VP

I can't count the number of times when we had Big Kiddy that we were cut off buy a guy 6 feet or less off the bow that couldn't hold his own lane. We stopped doing some of the runs like Kingston becasue there were too many boats and too many ass hats that didn't know how to drive and wanted to treat it like a race. The speeds are getting stupid and the focus on the charity and having a good time has been replaced by who can spend the most money !

PostPosted: September 9th, 2013, 6:01 pm   
User Requested 1 Month Ban - Denied

New vid different story :( https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=hvZdPk9Mgzw

PostPosted: September 9th, 2013, 6:16 pm   
Team Member

Wow. You can't even see that boat in the first posted video. I can't speak for every boater out there, but my head's on a swivel when I'm on any lake. The rules on water are vague at best, too open to interpretation. You never know what another boater is doing/thinking, or if they even see you in the first place. Runs like that with speeds that high should probably be reserved for sanctioned events, where the public knows ahead of time and proper precautions can be taken. Incidents like this make all of us look bad. My condolences to the families, this should never happen.

PostPosted: September 9th, 2013, 7:11 pm   

KAL Racing wrote:

Holy shit... That guy murdered two people. Gives a good reason to have a closed course for poker runs when you have speeds in excess of 150 mph on a public waterway.