It is currently July 4th, 2024, 4:18 am

A favor from all my boating friends

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 1st, 2013, 1:04 pm   
Team Member

There are times when things can become so obvious one needs to - "Do Something". Our governments are paralyzed with bureaucracy and a lack of leadership.

When a solution is relatively inexpensive and also reversible why does it take 10 years to at minimum run a 3 - 5 year trial.

I ask one thing of all my friends, please take 3 min to read the link and ask yourself, "What can I do?"

http://www.restoreourwater.com/
http://www.restoreourwater.com/Final...els_letter.pdf

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: March 1st, 2013, 11:10 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

I agree the government is not taking enough action.

This raises a huge issue for anyone on G Bay.

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2013, 1:28 pm   
Team Member

It's kind of selfish on my part as it is my back yard. But I appreciate anytime folks spend learning about or communicating the situation!

Dave

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2013, 1:36 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Not selfish at all. The Great Lakes hold most of Ontario and Canada's fresh water. Every one should be worried about this.

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2013, 2:23 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

MOTOboat wrote:
It's kind of selfish on my part as it is my back yard. But I appreciate anytime folks spend learning about or communicating the situation!

Dave

Dave,

It's not selfish...for starters it affects us all and further more there are a bunch of members here who either have cottages/homes on Georgian Bay or do their boating there. This is a big issue for me personally as our cottage and the marina that I work at are both on Georgian Bay...we will have a LOT more beach at this years run though. V-ball tourney anyone??

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2013, 3:40 pm   
Team Member

I think the americans are putting too much water in their beer!seriously it needs to be fixed asap!not sure if the speed bumps are the solution but it's a start!
I've also heard the theory of the land decompressing and rising!whatever is changing we need to maintain the water levels!

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2013, 4:50 pm   
Team Member

There are 3 main factors
- St Clair Dredging
- Evaporation
- Continental Rebound

All are contributing to the current circumstances with the contenential rebound being the smalest. I think it was like 7cm in 100 years. So really the warm winters with little ice coverage to limit evaporation and to refill the water table during Spring combined with the Dredging of the ST Clair and St Laurence in 1964 are the two biggest contributors.

the SpeedBumps will help and are removable if the weather turns and co-operates.

Dave

Last edited by MOTOboat on March 2nd, 2013, 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2013, 7:43 pm   
Team Member

Yes I agree about the dredging of the St. Clair being the main culprit. It goes back as far as the 1800's. It was well intentioned though for shipping. It is a misconception about the American's supposedly diverting the water to the drought ravaged Southwest. It simply isn't true although no doubt the Southwest would like it. The 8 States and 2 Provinces around the Great Lakes have banded together as none of them have any interest in the lakes being drained for others. There is diversion going on (i.e. the City of London has a big pipe from Huron for their drinking water) but there are rules in place that the effluent of the wastewater plants need to drain back to the lakes (or watershed they came from). The Lake levels are a problem though and I was in a presentation last year about some far fetched ideas to help by putting in dams as well. Either way it is going to cost money to do it and something needs to be done. Sitting here today next to Georgian Bay is a stark reminder how far the water has dropped.

Charger 18 DL, 2.6L Yamaha

PostPosted: March 4th, 2013, 9:19 pm   

The first picture in the link is 1 minute away from my cottage. My family is scared by the rising water levels and might loose our ability to dock the boats this year. Going to have to park at grandmas.

PostPosted: March 24th, 2013, 8:40 pm   
Team Member

TVO The Agenda, GBay water level story aired 3/21/2013: http://ww3.tvo.org/video/189542/trouble-great-lakes