It is currently October 5th, 2024, 2:21 pm

Yamahaha Outboards

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 7th, 2013, 9:54 pm   
Team Member

http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/pro ... O|&LANG=en

Anyone had a look at these yet? I was checking out the new Viper snowmobile, came across these. A guy I work with has a 1000cc Yamaha outboard he swears is a detuned r1 motor. I haven't looked into it at all, but it got the gears turning. If they're building 200 plus hp motorcycle 4 bangers, what about outboards?? No torque numbers, and as a square motor, I can only assume it's not that torquey, but I'd like to see one still....

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: March 8th, 2013, 12:03 am   
HPBC PRESIDENT

There's no bike motors currently being used to power any outboards...they do use a version of the R1 motor in some waverunners and in the RX/Apex snowmobiles.

They don't have a broad enough torque curve for the general boating public...but it would be interesting to see how one would work on a light boat.....

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: March 9th, 2013, 10:59 am   

idvette wrote:
http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/products.php?model=4255&class=30&group=O|&LANG=en

Anyone had a look at these yet? I was checking out the new Viper snowmobile, came across these. A guy I work with has a 1000cc Yamaha outboard he swears is a detuned r1 motor. I haven't looked into it at all, but it got the gears turning. If they're building 200 plus hp motorcycle 4 bangers, what about outboards?? No torque numbers, and as a square motor, I can only assume it's not that torquey, but I'd like to see one still....

I'd love to try out that new Viper(my last sled was a Viper ER).That sled could tempt me back into sleddin again and that would take quite a bit considering the winters we've been having.