It is currently June 30th, 2024, 2:06 am

"A" boat

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 28  Next
 PostPosted: October 25th, 2012, 11:27 am   
Team Member

Jeff Yammer wrote:
mitchie wrote:
I am the only guy in the world who has had no luck so far with ET's..... I bought a brand new Merc one and I thought it was fine until I tried Hoss's and Cleavers... Others with Triads love em' and All the ally dudes seem to love em'.... I dunno.

Was the Cleaver a high rake Cleaver ?

Jeff... The big cleaver (34") is a merc racing lab cleaver... It's Ken's prop.
My cleaver is a merc 32x15 non lab... I did send it to scott reichow who cleaned it up and redid the leading edges.
It's my usuall prop I run now... The best I have seen with it was 99mph with Little Charger sitting in the boat with me. Mike Corey used to have a really really nice 32x15 labbed merc cleaver ... I still dream about that prop at night.
I run alot of trim..... I have with every prop I have tried.

I hated cleavers with the old promax.. They were cool for stringing it out across the lake. But otherwise they were boring as hell. NO accelleration. With the big yammy's torque... Even the 34 seemed to pull alright.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: October 25th, 2012, 11:44 am   
Team Member

Seems as if with you needing so much trim you need more set back. Your boat is telling you that !!!

2017 OGW Nitrous Shootout Champion
2016 OSCA True Street champion
2015 OSCA 8.90 2nd in Championship

..... just a little SBF at 8.39

PostPosted: October 25th, 2012, 11:55 am   
Team Member

I have thought about trying a little more..... I had 10 inches with the promax. I'm at 6 now. I have a hydrodynamics 6 - 8 .. So I may try the 8. My concern was that with the promax it launched so flat.. But with the Big motor It throws the nose up a little more now..... I would hate to exagerate that by throwing that Monster any further back. The drag plate helps drastically though with that... I will likely make a skid planer at some point this winter as well.

PostPosted: October 25th, 2012, 12:10 pm   
Team Member

mitchie wrote:
I have thought about trying a little more..... I had 10 inches with the promax. I'm at 6 now. I have a hydrodynamics 6 - 8 .. So I may try the 8. My concern was that with the promax it launched so flat.. But with the Big motor It throws the nose up a little more now..... I would hate to exagerate that by throwing that Monster any further back. The drag plate helps drastically though with that... I will likely make a skid planer at some point this winter as well.

Maybe it is time for Lexan trim tabs ;)

Sign me up on the want to try an ET bandwagon. I would LOVE to try a 28p. I think Dougw has one :) :) :)

Charger 18 DL, 2.6L Yamaha

PostPosted: October 25th, 2012, 12:12 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

mitchie wrote:

maybe you need to do more prop testing.....

PostPosted: October 25th, 2012, 12:29 pm   
Team Member

OneCycle wrote:
mitchie wrote:

maybe you need to do more prop testing.....

Maybe... I've always wanted to try and SRX... I probably should have tried ken's 32et... David has a 31 hoss Triton that someday I would like to try. I took a chance one day and knocked the plate up 2 clicks (1") to go for a big top speed run... And I have never jacked it down.. It handles better and runs3 -4 mph quicker. I'm jacked higher now than I was with the promax with less set back. So really.. Who knows what will end up working. The reality is there are not alot of triads with big yamahas, so as a result I have to test everything myself. There is very little aquired knowledge available for my set up. Russ Rogers is the only other one I know of on the net.

PostPosted: October 25th, 2012, 12:49 pm   
Team Member

mitchie wrote:
There is very little aquired knowledge available for my set up. Russ Rogers is the only other one I know of on the net.

Fuck the net and "read" experience . . . . :D

PostPosted: October 25th, 2012, 1:21 pm   
Team Member

Mitch there is a 29SRX for sale on the Allison Owners site for a good price

PostPosted: October 25th, 2012, 1:24 pm   
Team Member

Yammer... i think we have all had a sexual relationship with the net at some point in time...

I am experiencing it... Thats what I am saying. My point being...

I am fine with testing and set up.. I've done loads of it... But I would be happier playing around and running instead of constant testing... So, If there is somebody that has already done what I am trying to do.. Than I would rather not reinvent the wheel and take some advice for atleast a base line.

There were dozens of Triads with promax's and 2.5 Mercs... So the set up work was done a decade ago... I definitely played around and got it exactly to where I wanted it.. And learned along the way. And gained alot.
I do not have that advantage at this point. Which is fine... I'm having fun getting it there.
I have immersed myself into this hobby over the past 5 years..When I get into something I tend to become obsessed. Before that I was on the outside admiring.

And Pat... Thanks for the heads up.. But I am budgeted out for the time being. Jules has ended it.
I need a gearcase and a lifeline.

PostPosted: October 25th, 2012, 1:36 pm   
Team Member

p man wrote:
Mitch there is a 29SRX for sale on the Allison Owners site for a good price

Thats not a bad deal either for that as his work is excellent too

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 28  Next