It is currently June 30th, 2024, 2:32 am

"A" boat

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 28  Next
 PostPosted: October 24th, 2012, 8:12 pm   
Team Member

Onecycle: ask Still Streaming how fast his Vking ran with an XR4. For years my goal was to do as well with my XR4/SS2000. Although I may be the only one who cares here about speed with smaller engines, it can be done.

Attachments:
87.2 with 30 Triton small.jpg
87.2 with 30 Triton small.jpg [ 123.61 KiB | Viewed 1092 times ]
 Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: October 24th, 2012, 8:27 pm   
Team Member

I believe you david. The ss2000 is designed to work very well with lower hp engines. There was a LONG thread on allison owners about this. It seems throwin big power on one is a waste unless you really really know what your doing, some do but i dont..lol.

PostPosted: October 24th, 2012, 8:37 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

David wrote:
Onecycle: ask Still Streaming how fast his Vking ran with an XR4. For years my goal was to do as well with my XR4/SS2000. Although I may be the only one who cares here about speed with smaller engines, it can be done.

Did Andrew ever run a real XR4? I always thought it was a bit of a mixture of pieces...AND it's on a light center steer vking. Wasn't his best like 84 or 85 until he put more power on?

How stock is your XR4?

Obviously I do agree with Lee...as it seems a fact that A boats do work best with smaller motors and like you David I do think that's cool. I will however continue to give all of you Alliston owners grief.....because....I get bored...and it's fun :mrgreen:

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: October 24th, 2012, 8:43 pm   
Team Member

procomp wrote:
Let me see if I can track down the guy in Nova Scotia that I sold a 20" 280 too for his V21 and see if he'll join your little internet race. I'm pretty sure a V21 will outrun a Grandsport given the same power. The grandsport is big and heavy. Its a fast party boat that looks cool. I never ran anything more then a 26P on mine with both the 225 promax and the 280 shorty that Lee now has. Boat ran into the 90s loaded up and that was 1/2" below the pad. Very conservative set up. Lots left but I didn't buy a Grandsport to break any speed records.

I dropped the nose once hitting a boat wake a little sideways. Seemed to want to pull a bit to the right but it wasn't that big a deal. I think the hydraullic steering is a huge asset. This boats a rush to drive anywhere 80+. Inspite of what you read, they are not always on the edge and ready to hook. The boat gives signs way before it would happen. Anyone can drive it to 70-75mph.

Yammer, come buy my Grandsport and put my old motor back on it since Lee's giving it away, LOL

Hey Brad, I take it, this is the guy?
Looks like a good running boat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1aI1xE1ihY

PostPosted: October 24th, 2012, 8:57 pm   
Team Member

cool video, 2 things i learned....
1) that this colourfull v21 is faster then mitchies
2) hot chicks love mercurys (see frame at 1.08 for proof)

PostPosted: October 24th, 2012, 9:01 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

captain hook wrote:
cool video, 2 things i learned....
1) that this colourfull v21 is faster then mitchies
2) hot chicks love mercurys (see frame at 1.08 for proof)

I'm selling my gay GPS speedo....that Faria is the shit lol

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: October 24th, 2012, 9:23 pm   
Team Member

There ya go yammer... Video proof of a triad running 108 or so with 5 on board ......
Gotta love the gratuitous dreamometer shot...lol

PostPosted: October 24th, 2012, 9:24 pm   
Team Member

Sorry... Forgot to add .. with a 280.

PostPosted: October 24th, 2012, 9:30 pm   

Mitchie- haha very funny i am glad i even doing 40 k when that shit storm rolled in :lol:

OneCycle- i cant wait to come prove my self on 5 gallon bay or lake"y" or what ever its called :D

Dubber- i think the deck just feels like the place too be...lol i was trying to get the motor/boat and lake in the shot, at least i wasnt moving this time :lol:

19' tempest picklefork 84 mod vpcarb 102mph

PostPosted: October 24th, 2012, 10:55 pm   

mitchie wrote:
Props4u2 wrote:
I have been an Allison dealer since 1994 and can assure and prove to anyone reading this that a GrandSport with a 225 PM, 1.75:1 Allison mod Sportmaster and a 28p Lightning ET will run 97-98 mph with two 200 lb. guy's aboard. I have sold several GS's with this set up, and no, there were no mods done to the boat bottom or lip, all totally stock.
The GrandSport was not designed to be a top end boat, 100 mph is fast enough for me personally, much over that is risky in my opinion.
When Hot Boat Mag did the article on the GS the writer wanted to drive the boat himself and had never even driven one before as I recall. Jim Barnes who was Allison's Re. at the time told me what went on but I don't remember exactly.
I actually ended up with that very same boat and originally rigged it for a customer with a 150 PM with a bone stock XR-6 unit that was one of three units available on the 150's at that time, the boat would run a very impressive 80 mph with no nose cone. I later rigged it with a 225 PM as described above for the same owner and it ran 97-98.

I ran an SS-2000-Elite in ODBA & ECDBA and in some other small orginations from Pa. to Fl. for several years with 260's and 280's w/260 electronics, @ 1685 lbs. with me in it which was the required weight for the 280 in that class, it would run 104-106 every pass like it was on a rail. Several have claimed one teens and in to the one twenty's, but again, this boat was designed to be quick not run big numbers.
The XR-2002, XR-2001 and even the XB-2002 bass boat are much faster boats.

Someone said something about a 225 PM on a GT-20. A friend of mine had one back in 1996 or 97 and installed a brand new 225 PM on it, it would run 84 mph on my stalker radar gun with he and I aboard, pretty impressive for a 70's designed hull.

The Triad's are without a doubt a much better looking boat than the GT's ever were. I think the world of Wally, but there is no doubt that he was inspired by the GT's when he built his Triad, Stevie Wonder could see that. LOL!!! Wally's father in-law was an Allison dealer for years so he certainly knew what a GT looked like up close.

I almost forgot what started this forum.
Ask Randy McCormick why he switched to Mercury's 10 + years ago. :o :lol:

Well that's my 2 cents for my 1st post.

Say what you will, only the truth hurts!! LOL

Lee

Is this a thinly veiled attempt at yammer calling in some big gun back up??? LoL...
And all for little mitchie... jk.
Thats 4% slip... with a promax on the limiter. If that is true... It is crazy, they must carry weight like a diesel dually... (2x200 dudes). I'm not saying it did not happen.. But I still struggle with it.... Big time.
For the record... I'm pretty sure I said exactly that the boat was clearly "inspired" by the GT20. Otherwise this also confirms my earlier comments on the ss and such.

Welcome aboard .... Some good insight.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!!!!

You have to calculate a 28p as a 29p to allow for the cup in the prop.
6700 rpm's with 1.75 gears, 28p prop +1" for cup at 97mph slip is 8%. At 98 it is 7%. These are very realistic slip numbers for a GrandSport or any Allison.

Whoever it was cutting down an ET on a GS must of had a POS copy or one that was reworked improperly. If you ever ran a good copy or original ET, pretty much nothing else comes close to handling and performance.

Lee

Profile Send private message WWW AIM  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 28  Next