It is currently July 4th, 2024, 2:51 am

"A" boat

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 28  Next
 PostPosted: October 24th, 2012, 9:26 am   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Props4u2 wrote:

Say what you will, only the truth hurts!! LOL

Lee

Welcome aboard Lee....don't worry...we like the truth. Mostly we just like to BS all winter...so don't take too much of this too seriously. :mrgreen:

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: October 24th, 2012, 9:38 am   
Team Member

Props4u2 wrote:
I have been an Allison dealer since 1994 and can assure and prove to anyone reading this that a GrandSport with a 225 PM, 1.75:1 Allison mod Sportmaster and a 28p Lightning ET will run 97-98 mph with two 200 lb. guy's aboard. I have sold several GS's with this set up, and no, there were no mods done to the boat bottom or lip, all totally stock.
The GrandSport was not designed to be a top end boat, 100 mph is fast enough for me personally, much over that is risky in my opinion.
When Hot Boat Mag did the article on the GS the writer wanted to drive the boat himself and had never even driven one before as I recall. Jim Barnes who was Allison's Re. at the time told me what went on but I don't remember exactly.
I actually ended up with that very same boat and originally rigged it for a customer with a 150 PM with a bone stock XR-6 unit that was one of three units available on the 150's at that time, the boat would run a very impressive 80 mph with no nose cone. I later rigged it with a 225 PM as described above for the same owner and it ran 97-98.

I ran an SS-2000-Elite in ODBA & ECDBA and in some other small orginations from Pa. to Fl. for several years with 260's and 280's w/260 electronics, @ 1685 lbs. with me in it which was the required weight for the 280 in that class, it would run 104-106 every pass like it was on a rail. Several have claimed one teens and in to the one twenty's, but again, this boat was designed to be quick not run big numbers.
The XR-2002, XR-2001 and even the XB-2002 bass boat are much faster boats.

Someone said something about a 225 PM on a GT-20. A friend of mine had one back in 1996 or 97 and installed a brand new 225 PM on it, it would run 84 mph on my stalker radar gun with he and I aboard, pretty impressive for a 70's designed hull.

The Triad's are without a doubt a much better looking boat than the GT's ever were. I think the world of Wally, but there is no doubt that he was inspired by the GT's when he built his Triad, Stevie Wonder could see that. LOL!!! Wally's father in-law was an Allison dealer for years so he certainly knew what a GT looked like up close.

I almost forgot what started this forum.
Ask Randy McCormick why he switched to Mercury's 10 + years ago. :o :lol:

Well that's my 2 cents for my 1st post.

Lee

Is this a thinly veiled attempt at yammer calling in some big gun back up??? LoL...
And all for little mitchie... jk.
Thats 4% slip... with a promax on the limiter. If that is true... It is crazy, they must carry weight like a diesel dually... (2x200 dudes). I'm not saying it did not happen.. But I still struggle with it.... Big time.
For the record... I'm pretty sure I said exactly that the boat was clearly "inspired" by the GT20. Otherwise this also confirms my earlier comments on the ss and such.

Welcome aboard .... Some good insight.

PostPosted: October 24th, 2012, 9:44 am   
Team Member

Back to the Yamaha thing... I will be the first to admit that the 300x/300xs is probably stronger than My Yamaha...
But I have no worries of grenading a 3l sportmaster like the mercs do. I have no fears of the compressor effing off on me...
.. Basically I don't worry about anything. I don't race anyone but myself and have fun with my friends... And for that, this Yamaha runs out pretty hard. And my GPS numbers are not a result of the sudden left turn.. lol.:)

PostPosted: October 24th, 2012, 9:52 am   
Team Member

OneCycle wrote:
Props4u2 wrote:
I have been an Allison dealer since 1994 and can assure and prove to anyone reading this that a GrandSport with a 225 PM, 1.75:1 Allison mod Sportmaster and a 28p Lightning ET will run 97-98 mph with two 200 lb. guy's aboard. I have sold several GS's with this set up, and no, there were no mods done to the boat bottom or lip, all totally stock.
The GrandSport was not designed to be a top end boat, 100 mph is fast enough for me personally, much over that is risky in my opinion.
When Hot Boat Mag did the article on the GS the writer wanted to drive the boat himself and had never even driven one before as I recall. Jim Barnes who was Allison's Re. at the time told me what went on but I don't remember exactly.
I actually ended up with that very same boat and originally rigged it for a customer with a 150 PM with a bone stock XR-6 unit that was one of three units available on the 150's at that time, the boat would run a very impressive 80 mph with no nose cone. I later rigged it with a 225 PM as described above for the same owner and it ran 97-98.

I ran an SS-2000-Elite in ODBA & ECDBA and in some other small orginations from Pa. to Fl. for several years with 260's and 280's w/260 electronics, @ 1685 lbs. with me in it which was the required weight for the 280 in that class, it would run 104-106 every pass like it was on a rail. Several have claimed one teens and in to the one twenty's, but again, this boat was designed to be quick not run big numbers.
The XR-2002, XR-2001 and even the XB-2002 bass boat are much faster boats.

Someone said something about a 225 PM on a GT-20. A friend of mine had one back in 1996 or 97 and installed a brand new 225 PM on it, it would run 84 mph on my stalker radar gun with he and I aboard, pretty impressive for a 70's designed hull.

The Triad's are without a doubt a much better looking boat than the GT's ever were. I think the world of Wally, but there is no doubt that he was inspired by the GT's when he built his Triad, Stevie Wonder could see that. LOL!!! Wally's father in-law was an Allison dealer for years so he certainly knew what a GT looked like up close.

I almost forgot what started this forum.
Ask Randy McCormick why he switched to Mercury's 10 + years ago. :o :lol:

Well that's my 2 cents for my 1st post.

Lee

Mitchie , sounds like the GS runs like yours did with the PM .... you ran 96 (i think) and probably with a dog or two

Yah James... I ran 95 - 96 .. But it was with a 32x15 lab cleaver.... The best with a 30et was around 92mph... The best with a worked 28 hoss was 93 - 94. The ET was a bag of shit on that boat which was contrary to all the advice I was given. It loved to cavitate like crazy. The hoss was the best all around. The sport master was also equally as crappy.

PostPosted: October 24th, 2012, 9:56 am   
Team Member

I should also add to the earlier thing about things being "easy". It took me months to break 90mph... And it was not my driving as much as my shitty set up... lol. And my driving. HAHAHAHA

PostPosted: October 24th, 2012, 9:59 am   
Team Member

mitchie wrote:
Is this a thinly veiled attempt at yammer calling in some big gun back up??? LoL...
And all for little mitchie... jk.
Thats 4% slip... with a promax on the limiter. If that is true... It is crazy, they must carry weight like a diesel dually... (2x200 dudes). I'm not saying it did not happen.. But I still struggle with it.... Big time.
For the record... I'm pretty sure I said exactly that the boat was clearly "inspired" by the GT20. Otherwise this also confirms my earlier comments on the ss and such.

Welcome aboard .... Some good insight.

Hahaha .... not at all. I made an attempt to promote the site with a few choice US brains and good all around people.

2017 OGW Nitrous Shootout Champion
2016 OSCA True Street champion
2015 OSCA 8.90 2nd in Championship

..... just a little SBF at 8.39

PostPosted: October 24th, 2012, 10:01 am   
Team Member

mitchie wrote:
I should also add to the earlier thing about things being "easy". It took me months to break 90mph... And it was not my driving as much as my shitty set up... lol. And my driving. HAHAHAHA

So as I've stated before ...... It can be easy. But you will always loose one way or another if you fight yourself. You'll have a black eye as well as a bent knuckle all in one shot. . . . nevermind the fact of a confused head.

( in all seriousness its a great thing on here that we can have different beliefs and from and in different areas while still having fun shooting the shit about it )

Last edited by Jeff Yammer on October 24th, 2012, 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: October 24th, 2012, 10:04 am   
Team Member

DoktorC wrote:
Props4u2 wrote:

Lee

Welcome aboard Lee....don't worry...we like the truth. Mostly we just like to BS all winter...so don't take too much of this too seriously. :mrgreen:

Are you pre-apologizing for my crap Richard...? :shock:

PostPosted: October 24th, 2012, 10:39 am   
HPBC PRESIDENT

mitchie wrote:

Yah James... I ran 95 - 96 .. But it was with a 32x15 lab cleaver.... The best with a 30et was around 92mph... The best with a worked 28 hoss was 93 - 94. The ET was a bag of shit on that boat which was contrary to all the advice I was given. It loved to cavitate like crazy. The hoss was the best all around. The sport master was also equally as crappy.

I'm starting to realize that most people who setup a challenger have no clue what works and how fast they actually go...... most recommended prop is a chopper......... worst setup ever.... EVER.... EEEVVVERRRR

so that being said i feel only some of your pain in setup.

here's another story for you... two separate poeple on S&F... pm'ed me about my setup and i qoute......" with 250 hp your boat should be way faster "... then i asked them ... " how far am i off speed wise? " ...... there answer was " a lot " ....

i took my boat up to Barron's custom boats (were i take all my stuff because there an actual professionally run business and they dont keep your money and boats for 200 years) and we cut out some core and stringers.... because i was convinced it was soft.... but no its all fucking new.... like i went to the wood store yesterday new...

So whats my point.... don't trust anyone telling you your boat should be faster when they wont tell you how much faster... they are only trying to hide a lie that they clearly stated there 1976 challenger with a 250 3.0l went 89....

just to sturr the pot a little bit these are a couple other setups i call bull shit on....

xr4 150 on a ss going 89... come on?
behind the liner yamaha on a v-king going 107 with a 28 pitch prop?....... get the fuck outa here.. thats Ridiculous

PostPosted: October 24th, 2012, 10:46 am   
Team Member

OneCycle wrote:
behind the liner yamaha on a v-king going 107 with a 28 pitch prop?....... get the fuck outa.. here thats Ridiculous

OOOoooohhhHHHH boy ... here we go.
My Yamaha at that time would spin that 28" an easy 7800 rpm w/1.73 gearing and if you read a previous post it was balanced to perfection as far as the complete boat set up and rigging.

( ya wanker ) haha ;)

How fast has your Challenger gone anyways ? 88 ??? ( Sheesh it should ..... tubby )

;)

Last edited by Jeff Yammer on October 24th, 2012, 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 28  Next