It is currently July 8th, 2024, 5:18 pm

Charger SK- DL ?

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 13th, 2016, 12:02 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Bow tank helped for skiing and made for less porpoising at cruise speed. Setback will help carry the bow.

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: March 13th, 2016, 1:07 pm   
Team Member

The amount of fuel in the bow tank makes a difference. We have run 3 different set ups. Original set up was no set back and no lift. The boat was a ski tow boat. The first summer we used 5 gallons of injection oil! It was out towing stuff every day. Thats why other people got one. They saw our boat. Jim was 12 years old and did most of the driving. Later I added a Bob's set back and land and sea lift. That solved the heavy nose fuel tank issue. We now run a 15 inch drag with no lift and no set back. Looks cool, sounds great and runs slower, more show than go. Still run the original 150 powerhead which we rebuilt 5 years ago.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2016, 7:26 am   
Team Member

Hounddog wrote:
Word spread quickly and all of the other people sold their boats. There is a fellow with an 81 model which they have had since new. It is still all original.

Pre 1985 were excellent quality full balsa core boats. The winter of 85/86 they cheapened them up and had structural and gelcoat quality issues. As Hounddog mentioned when the word got out that years 86 and newer were not as good as previous years the damage was done.

12' tinny - 9.9 merc

PostPosted: March 14th, 2016, 9:19 am   
Team Member

There was a problem with the materials that the Ontario boat builders got in late 1985 to mid 1986. Quinn's also had problems during that time. They had curing and gel coat issues with the hull. They ended up having to paint some of the hulls. In our area there were more quality issues with the DL boats. Likely due to the larger horsepower motors on them and the way they were driven. All the SKs ran 150 hp motors. We still have a couple of 1987 STVs with 150 XR2 motors. Other than sun fade and tired interiors, they are in good shape.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2016, 10:13 am   
Team Member

I think by now if there was an issue with the boats of that era they would of been fixed, junked or very apparent by now. Just got back late last night from my trip, planning on seeing it this afternoon or tomorrow. From the pics. it looks pretty good and clean, hopefully it's a good one and I'll have something to ride with my wife this summer. I think this would make a better ride than the Vision that I had an eye on.

PostPosted: March 15th, 2016, 4:50 pm   
Team Member

So I had a chance to stop in for a look at the boat today. The boat is an 87, built for or by Boiler marine, the hull looks pretty good except for a couple nicks on the gel coat, the deck needs a good buff and wax and has stress cracks in one spot on the side near the back, the floor has a little bit of a bounce in the back but I didn't pick at it to investigate. The motor is an 89 Johnson GT 200, it ran a little rough, the paint was pretty faded and the 6" hydraulic jack plate's motor was seized. I didn't do a compression test because I was short on time but planning on going back.

PostPosted: March 15th, 2016, 11:57 pm   
Team Member

The 89 gt200 will only have about 90 lbs compression due to the bleeds if it has the stock heads. don"t let that scare you off though they run hard and will last a long time, just remember to jet up when you do ANYTHING to it. It already comes with midbore carbs and actually makes 225 hp btw.

PostPosted: March 16th, 2016, 8:50 am   
Team Member

Good to know, I will dig a little deeper and if the price is right and the core is sound she might become mine. I really love the lines of that hull and the strakes are nice and sharp.
Thanks guys

PostPosted: March 19th, 2016, 9:39 am   
Team Member

Well I'm the proud owner of an SK Charger, it also came with a complete mid, swivel bracket and gearcase with base plate and can, it's always good to have spare parts.

PostPosted: March 19th, 2016, 9:46 am   
Team Member

congrats....post some pics of your new boat package.

12' tinny - 9.9 merc