It is currently October 5th, 2024, 12:33 pm

Charger DL

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 PostPosted: August 6th, 2013, 9:32 am   

DoktorC wrote:
$500 is a steal...

That vector needs it's core done....it's a big project.

I was worried about that when I read it needed floor work...too bad. I understand the 1975's were the best year - first out of the new mold.

I've always wanted a Vector or Vking, I will fix up the Charger and enjoy it for now until the right boat comes along.

79 Hydrostream Viper

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: August 6th, 2013, 9:40 am   

dubber wrote:
About your fuel system - does your fuel bulb stay hard? After that if your fuel filter is clean I am fresh outta ideas :)

Welcome aboard! S&F is a very good site but this has lots of Canadian content and a launching point for local get togethers. Always room for another DL.

No, it requires constant pumping. I'm going to replace the fuel lines and the inline filter (and when I say "I" it means someone who knows what they are doing down in the shop :lol: ).

79 Hydrostream Viper

PostPosted: August 7th, 2013, 2:02 pm   

Some bad news today. The steering tube is toast which is apparently a pretty big job. Has anyone else had to replace one on this motor before?

79 Hydrostream Viper

PostPosted: August 7th, 2013, 5:15 pm   
Team Member

Maybe it would be cheaper to get a new clamp with a good steering tube from an old mid section and move everything over? I don't know, thinking out loud. Top Gun may have the parts in his yard as well.

Charger 18 DL, 2.6L Yamaha

PostPosted: August 7th, 2013, 6:14 pm   
Team Member

dubber wrote:
Top Gun may have the parts in his yard as well.

I can hear him on the phone "How many you want? I got hundreds of them! Give the Gun a call.

PostPosted: August 8th, 2013, 7:27 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

LittleCharger wrote:
dubber wrote:
Top Gun may have the parts in his yard as well.

I can hear him on the phone "How many you want? I got hundreds of them! Give the Gun a call.

:mrgreen:

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: August 8th, 2013, 10:25 pm   

x4 on the gun, he'll get ya fixed up. ;)

19' tempest picklefork 84 mod vpcarb 102mph

PostPosted: August 8th, 2013, 10:39 pm   

I know of a yamaha 150 (1985) in really good shape for sale near my place. (Ottawa) he would likely take between 1000-1500 for it I tried less but he declined my cheap ass offer lol
If my opinion matter or can help...go pick up your boat, pay for the time they put in and bring it home. All the help everyone on here is willing to offer, nomatter how mechanicly challenged you are. I have been helped countles times with problems local marine mechanics were puzzled with. The issues your motor has won't require anything more than a cheap wratchet set and maybe a few wrenches. Borrow a fuel line before investing in a new one. No point spending $50 bucks troubleshooting. If the next hose doesn't work, it is either your filter or fuel pump. Both take a few minutes to change. As far as the steering tube, its a bugger to do, but you can get waljed through the process quite easily and as mentioned, there are an abundance of guys with used parts who are more than happy to help out and get you in the water for much less than a marina.
If you dont wanna screw with yours its really rare to get screwed on here...everyone knows everyone. Then you can sell your motor for roughly the same as whatever you buy (kijiji) someone out there will be happy to fix the fuel issue and steering problem...merc guys don't let a good compression used motor sit up for sale for too long. Probably the easiest motors to sell for decent money.
That vector looks fantastic, but as soon as you hear the words "floor problems" on an older hydrostream..you likely have to recore it and it is a big job. You don't wanna just out a new floor and go...if that boat delaminates at speed you can get pretty hurt not to mention lose your boat and motor.
If you are serious about picking it up, bring it to a reputable shop who is known for recoring boats (hydrosteam canada is one) and have them look it over before buying it.
My dad always told me "Pat...you can polish a piece of shit all day long, but when the sun comes down at the end of the day, you will still have nothing but a piece of shit" Don't buy a boat because the paint looks good, you are better off buying one that looks like shit but is solid, and the money you invest gives you the freedom to customize the look on a boat already fit for the water. Guys polish their shitty boats all the time because people buy them because they look good . A paint job...a really nice paint job is much cheaper than having someone recore your boat. Unless you want to tackle it yourself.
Just my long winded himble opinion...but if you spread the word on here and keep looking, you'll find a really good boat insode your price range. Of that yamha is something you are interested in..I should have his number..if not I'm going out that way in the next week so I can grab the number off his boat again.

PostPosted: August 8th, 2013, 10:53 pm   

dok= yamaha

top gun = merc

either brand you can find parts and help fixing, im just up the road if you ever need a hand, your mechanics should be good you work at the cove correct? :lol: please dont let them sell you an etech. :lol: ;) :|

19' tempest picklefork 84 mod vpcarb 102mph

PostPosted: August 9th, 2013, 7:34 am   
Team Member

Just a word from the other side of the fence in response to 79J's post. You cannot discount the value of a good technician!! Sure there's a lot of help and advice on this (and other) site, but if you're uncomfortable or incapable that's not going to matter. Some times it's best to take it to who knows best, especially when you're dealing with boats like ours, things can go wrong in a real hurry, we don't need to see anyone getting hurt over saving a few bucks...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next