It is currently May 3rd, 2024, 4:05 pm

Recoring a Hydrostream boat

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 30th, 2012, 10:16 pm   

I was wondering how much it would cost to recore a Hydrostream Vulture? Can anyone do it or does it need to go to a shop? Is there a book that tells you how to recore a boat?
Thanks Chris

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: October 30th, 2012, 11:11 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Dermott wrote:
I was wondering how much it would cost to recore a Hydrostream Vulture? Can anyone do it or does it need to go to a shop? Is there a book that tells you how to recore a boat?
Thanks Chris

Dermott??? Welcome aboard buddy.

James has had good luck with Baron's custom boats....they seem to be a good balance between quality work and price. I've had good luck with Hydrostream BUT it only seems to work if you go there and do the work following John's instructions. It's was a cool experience for me and I learned a lot.

There are no books but there are a ton of experienced guys on the board that can give you direction (myself included). Riverman, RBT, and myself have recored boats and/or have built new ones.

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: October 30th, 2012, 11:44 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Hey Chris,

Cousin rick is right... there is lots of Experience on this site.... if you dont mind getting your hands dirty you'll do fine and it will be very cheap ... just some elbow grease...

I'll even pop by the farm and give you a hand..

PostPosted: October 31st, 2012, 10:12 am   

Thanks so much. I have found a boat but i don't want to get in over my head. Do you have any idea on what materials cost?
What should i pay for a boat that needs recored( Hydrostream Vulture).

Chris

PostPosted: October 31st, 2012, 11:25 am   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Dermott wrote:
Thanks so much. I have found a boat but i don't want to get in over my head. Do you have any idea on what materials cost?

Chris

if your doing the work your self..... I'd pay up to $1500... but only if it has a decent trailer...

PostPosted: October 31st, 2012, 12:08 pm   
Team Member

OneCycle wrote:
Dermott wrote:

Chris

if your doing the work your self..... I'd pay up to $1500... but only if it has a decent trailer...

Pay James to do your deal...he'll have the guy deliver the boat, clean your house and get you a deal :lol:

PostPosted: October 31st, 2012, 8:05 pm   
Team Member

I think it's a lot less expensive to buy a boat that's already been restored, just like car restoration. John at Hydrostream does great work, just not fast.

PostPosted: October 31st, 2012, 8:58 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

David wrote:
I think it's a lot less expensive to buy a boat that's already been restored, just like car restoration. John at Hydrostream does great work, just not fast.

I'm going to have to highly disagree with you David...

John only does good work when it convenient to him and if your too nice he takes advantage of you.

He quoted my vector 12 k to just do the core nothing else so no wonder you think it costs more to rebuild a boat than buy one done.

There are so many examples of why not to do business with John.

David I have total respect for your experience and knowledge but your wrong...lol

Let's go over my hydrostream vector build...

Hull and trailer - $500
Core, transom and floor- 3800
Seastarr hyd steering- 1200

So I had a brand new hull for 5500 taking away the cost of my motor I sold the boat for 7,000...

Now David could you imagine if I did the work my self ... I would have had a brand new hull for less than 3000.

You can't assume hydrostream Canada are the only ones that can do good work or they become over priced and lazy.... Then and only then it's cheaper to buy a boat already done.

PostPosted: October 31st, 2012, 9:17 pm   
Team Member

OneCycle wrote:
David wrote:

I'm going to have to highly disagree with you David...

John only does good work when it convenient to him and if your too nice he takes advantage of you.

He quoted my vector 12 k to just do the core nothing else so no wonder you think it costs more to rebuild a boat than buy one done.

There are so many examples of why not to do business with John.

David I have total respect for your experience and knowledge but your wrong...lol

Let's go over my hydrostream vector build...

Hull and trailer - $500
Core, transom and floor- 3800
Seastarr hyd steering- 1200

So I had a brand new hull for 5500 taking away the cost of my motor I sold the boat for 7,000...

Now David could you imagine if I did the work my self ... I would have had a brand new hull for less than 3000.

You can't assume hydrostream Canada are the only ones that can do good work or they become over priced and lazy.... Then and only then it's cheaper to buy a boat already done.

pretty much hits the nail on the head! If anybody needs more convincing pm me!

PostPosted: October 31st, 2012, 10:01 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

We're forgetting Mark @ Tuff...the dude does GREAT work and he is part of the community. He rigged the 34 Super and filled and regelled the dash...flawless workmanship!! I would take my stuff there without question.

I know there have been some issues surrounding Hydrostream but the work I had done there was second to none. My Charger and my SRV are outstanding....and vastly different than other repairs I've seen. There are clearly some issues up there right now given the phone situation and some of the stories I've heard lately so I don't know if I'd recommend them right now....but I've enjoyed my time there in the past and all three of my boats worked out really well.

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...