It is currently May 3rd, 2024, 4:04 pm

Recoring a Hydrostream boat

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 1st, 2012, 7:01 am   
Team Member

If you're looking to do it yourself, there's a ton of rebuild/recore threads on Hydrostream Forums. Pretty much every thread has detailed instructions (and pictures) on every step taken. A lot of great info to soak up there.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: November 1st, 2012, 7:11 am   
Team Member

And....if you don't buy the Vulture, let me know so I can have a look at it. :D

PostPosted: November 1st, 2012, 8:45 am   
Team Member

I have not re-cored a boat yet, but would not hesitate to do it myself with the help and information available in our community. I get the auto analogy of buy it done or do it yourself, for me unless I knew the shop that did the work, I would not trust any hull this age without checking it out totally, I've seen some boats that I thought were mint ,Toms (Wildcatt) dl before he bought it and he re did the transomme , Colins old ae that had work done at Johns in Brechin, only to de-laminate a few years later. I'm not knocking anyones work, I think that the only real way to be 100% sure of a hull this age is to rip out the floor drill the core and transomme, I dont think there are very many , if any dry origional examples left anymore. These boats were built to be light fast and fun, not to last a long time in the elements( is any boat LOL) .Another thing to consider is the rigging if you buy just a hull/trailer, not cheap,but guys like Paul(Top Gun) can really help out with used parts , motor jackplate combo etc. hydrostream.org , as stated above has some great re-core and other restoration articles with pictures as well as setup under tech talk for the vulture. also check out spotlight boats, there are a few Vultures in there too.

Steve

PostPosted: November 1st, 2012, 8:46 am   
Team Member

DoktorC wrote:
We're forgetting Mark @ Tuff...the dude does GREAT work and he is part of the community. He rigged the 34 Super and filled and regelled the dash...flawless workmanship!! I would take my stuff there without question.

I know there have been some issues surrounding Hydrostream but the work I had done there was second to none. My Charger and my SRV are outstanding....and vastly different than other repairs I've seen. There are clearly some issues up there right now given the phone situation and some of the stories I've heard lately so I don't know if I'd recommend them right now....but I've enjoyed my time there in the past and all three of my boats worked out really well.

you Coles have all the bases covered! you're right on all counts with this post!

PostPosted: November 1st, 2012, 12:55 pm   
Team Member

Wow, first I have heard of problems at Hydrostream. But you guys would know you live there.

PostPosted: November 1st, 2012, 7:50 pm   
Team Member

My Baja was restored by John, and I paid about what the just the hull cost for the boat, a rebuilt motor, rigging, and a good trailer. The guy who paid for the resto took a beating. I've had the boat a few years, and it's still perfect. I visit John a few times a year, and his work still looks excellent. But as noted, I'm not an expert.

No doubt you can restore something yourself for a lot less dough than paying someone. I would not hesitate to send someone to Mark either. He is a stand up guy.