It is currently May 3rd, 2024, 6:15 pm

STEERING PROBLEM......NEED SUGGESTIONS,,,FOR A T BOAT

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 19th, 2012, 8:36 am   
Team Member

Here is the problem. After 7 years we finally have our Oasis T boat ready to rig. We try to put cable and pulley racing steering in it and we can't do it without cutting big holes in the deck and mounting the front pulleys under the deck. So I have to use a different type.
[1] modify a no feedback dual drum style system by removing the no feedback feature. I read there are plastic plates in the drum which you remove and that solves the problem.
TRUE? Can anyone confirm or tried this?
I don't have room under the dash for rack style opposing dual ride guide system which I know would work.

[2] an hydraulic steering system. I have never used one. Good or bad idea? What model should I use? Motor is 50 to 80 hp.

Thanks
Don

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: October 19th, 2012, 8:49 am   
Team Member

Tiller? :lol: Jim would look good at the back of the boat.

I've never seen an Oasis but isn't it an open style boat similar to the allison and delta, just trying to picture why Zonka's and Dave's cable set up won't work. Can you post a pic of the boat.

Cheers,

PostPosted: October 19th, 2012, 10:23 am   
Team Member

Paul, an Oasis has a deck similar to the Critchfields and Rapid Crafts. One seat and a complete inner strong box. Ours had a complete cell in it. It is the shape of the top cowl where you mount the front pulleys that is the problem. It is inset and the cables can't run down the sides like they do on the Critchfield. I am thinking of running the cable completely inside the boat and have it exit thru the transom or thru the deck top just infront of the transom. If I did that I would need a good setback on the boat to get enough angle in the cables going to the steering arm to keep the cable tight.

Last edited by Hounddog on October 19th, 2012, 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: October 19th, 2012, 10:32 am   
Team Member

go hydraulic, easy and tight.

http://www.teleflexmarine.com/products/hydraulic-new/

PostPosted: October 19th, 2012, 10:41 am   
Team Member

SST60RYE wrote:

What is the steering feel like? Is there any?

PostPosted: October 19th, 2012, 10:45 am   

Yes hounddog i can confirm the trick with removing the no feedback i removed it this summer on the teleflex dual cable nfb, pretty simple at the same time.

PostPosted: October 19th, 2012, 8:10 pm   
Team Member

Empire racing ,designed a trick R/P cable setup!probably what you are looking for[if you can't configure the clothes lines]!Hyd. would need a small volume cylinder or large volume helm to give enough motion for countersteer,or you'll look like me running [wood chopper]!I'm running dual rotary racks,the system is heavy and requires substantial armstrong to manipulate!when I tried the steering in zonka's boat it felt like it wasn't connected to anything!

PostPosted: October 20th, 2012, 9:01 am   
Team Member

I never actually used this, but it works well. You can alter the geometry to get various steering ratios.
The only drawback is if you need to be able to trim up and out. The cable may not allow it.

Attachments:
DSCF0219.jpg
DSCF0219.jpg [ 60.7 KiB | Viewed 1309 times ]