It is currently May 4th, 2024, 12:54 am

prop testing on Buckhorn

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 9th, 2012, 10:24 pm   
Team Member

Mark (v8 charged and Tom(wildcat) and I got togther today for some prop testing on Buckhorn lake, I wanted to make bogbash yesterday, but could not make it. After realizing the Raker I swapped for did not fit the yammi lower I tried a labbed 26 chopper from Mark great plane buy 75.6 mph did'nt cut it up top,even spinning it to 6800 rpm, and it porpoused in the midrange. Mark (V8) suggested a roadtrip to buckhorn prop repair, we arrived and were lucky to meet John, the owner there, after a 30 minute prop discussion, we left with our arms full of props, I tried a 15" dia 25 p 4 blade cleaver, witch pulled in the midrange but sucked up top , a 14 5/8" 29 p tempest plus , witch I thought was going to work great and it was crap did'nt do anything really well and no top end, even spinning it a 6200rpm. the best prop of the day, and the one I'm going to purchase from John, was a 15 1/8" dia 27p Solas Scorpion, it woke my boat up like nothing I've seen so far, the hull flew almost right away on takeoff acceleration was vantastic, at 6200rpm with Tom in the passenger seat and a half tank of gas we gps'd 81.6 , doing close to mid eighties with just a driver, this was still in fairly calm water . the prop never blew out, even at full lift ( witch is even with the pad with my current 8" setback)Tom tried the prop and got the same results on his boat besting his labbed 28" chopper by 4 plus mph in the same conditions. big thanks to Mark, Janet and Tom, for a great day of boating, thanks again for being a test pilot Tom, first time I got to see my boat do a flyby from shore.I'm going to post picks when I figure out how to open Marks picks.

Last edited by beavertonae-21 on September 9th, 2012, 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: September 9th, 2012, 10:47 pm   
Team Member

You're playing with a great trio there!
Ran with them last year. Great people.
Hmmm...Tom changing props...sounds familiar.
I blew a hub on Pigeon and Tom swapped props for me sitting on the bow of his boat.

PostPosted: September 9th, 2012, 10:55 pm   
Team Member

LOL Mark was our in water prop swapper. I almost felt guilty just sitting in the boat and going out to try another prop.... almost LOL! it was a great day, best run of the summer for me for sure. I wish I could have made bogbash too, we had some bad weather on Saturday in Beaverton, and my brother in laws boat lift roof section blew off , and crashed into the neighbours dock 60 ft away. we spent most of the afternoon cleaning up the mess.

Steve