It is currently April 19th, 2024, 9:55 am

15" V4 OMC Short Shaft

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 PostPosted: December 17th, 2017, 2:17 pm   
Team Member

You can run a 14" prop on a 90 Yamaha case.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: December 17th, 2017, 3:15 pm   

LOL I have a 15" 4 blade stainless for that gearcase I would sell.

2019 Rossitter Critchfield SST60 EVINRUDE

PostPosted: December 17th, 2017, 3:23 pm   
Team Member

Hounddog wrote:
Over the years I have spend 100's of hours working on cars and outboard motors. For the person that doesn't have the patience to complete a complex project which always takes longer and ends up costing more money than you thought. This is my advice. Rare doesn't always mean costly. It is all about supply and demand. Right now there is little demand for a 15 inch V4 OMC. I bet there a few fellows out there that have one of these motors. I would post a WANTED thread on S & F for a 15 inch V4 OMC and see if you get any hits.

Here is an example of what happens when you ask. Owner may still have one.
http://www.screamandfly.com/showthread. ... 5-inch-mid

PostPosted: December 17th, 2017, 3:31 pm   
Team Member

Advice taken Posted on Scream and Fly

http://www.screamandfly.com/showthread. ... -V4-Looper

Viper Merc 200hp
12' Charger 60Hp OMC
Never Enough Boats!!

PostPosted: December 17th, 2017, 7:26 pm   
Team Member

Hey Don

Would a Pro50 mid work on the small lower unit you mentioned. I do have one of them i could cut if I go that route.

Check out this link for those that are interested:
http://www.screamandfly.com/showthread. ... ow-omc-mid

Viper Merc 200hp
12' Charger 60Hp OMC
Never Enough Boats!!

PostPosted: December 17th, 2017, 8:19 pm   

mercrazy wrote:
Hey Don

Would a Pro50 mid work on the small lower unit you mentioned. I do have one of them i could cut if I go that route.

Maybe a 1995+ 50/40 2stroke would match up to the 55 lower in terms of the castings, but not sure, never tried it myself. But definitely not a pre-1995 style like the ones used for OMC 3Cly Trim. Dok might know..

1980 Thundercraft v142 Restored

PostPosted: December 18th, 2017, 12:29 am   
Team Member

mattmak wrote:
mercrazy wrote:
Hey Don

Maybe a 1995+ 50/40 2stroke would match up to the 55 lower in terms of the castings, but not sure, never tried it myself. But definitely not a pre-1995 style like the ones used for OMC 3Cly Trim. Dok might know..

If it is a Pro 50 long shaft it is no good anyway because of the extra space below the lower mount compared to the Pro 50 short shaft mid. Matt has a 55/60 mid. You should look at it to see how close it is to the V4 mid in size. If that mid is usable I have a mid you could use and a lower unit. I can get them in the spring. As I mentioned on my initial post....the 55 lower unit is likely strong enough with a stock V4. I would use a V4 lower unit to be safe and there would be less work to make it work on the 15 inch mid.

PostPosted: December 18th, 2017, 10:25 am   
Team Member

Tim, I was thinking of all the good stuff I saw at your place when I visited last year. I wonder if you could make an aluminum motor base plate similar to the one on an SST45 and mount in on either a twin cylinder or three cylinder 15 inch OMC mid. You then mount the V4 motor base plate to that aluminium plate. You use the original hole positions to bolt the plate to the mid and you make new holes to bolt the V4 base plate to the same plate. So you are bolting one set up and the other set down. You likely will need to counter sink these bolts in the plate. Your SST 60 gear case bolts on. You could widen the new aluminum base plate like an SST 45 to add steering arms for your tunnel plus the wide flat surface of the aluminum plate makes it easy to mount the pan portion of the engine cover. Question is..... is there enough space in the top portion of the 15 inch mid for the V4 stuff to fit and line up?

NOW IF YOU LUCK OUT...another idea
Contact Kevi and get one of is junked base plates...[the one with the error] gut the inner portion of it and machine the guts of the V4 to fit. That would bolt right on a 15 inch omc triple.

PostPosted: December 18th, 2017, 8:54 pm   
Team Member

I guess I may have "lucked Out" because I have one of the plates with an error but no tuner/horn for the bottom, I'm sure Kevi still has the horns available. I like your idea!! I have two sets of gears for the nitro as well 2 & 3 cyl combinations. I will have to start with a test fit between the Kevi base and the V4 Block.....Or maybe Kevi already has something up his sleeve for a V4 !!
This is what I was looking for lots of suggestions and ideas thanks Don for all your input.

Mercrazy

Viper Merc 200hp
12' Charger 60Hp OMC
Never Enough Boats!!

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2017, 9:01 pm   
Team Member

Just to bring you up to date with some behind the scenes conversations from S&F "Racervboat" is very knowledgeable on this subject and he offered to build a 15" mid with modified factory power trim. Reasonably priced but factor in exchange, shipping and duties and this get up there pretty quick. There has also been a release of some new build Taylor 16" mids on S&F as well without trim units $1350.00 usd. I think I well explore the option that Hounddog mentioned for an adapter on a Stinger mid and maybe bump up from a nitro case to a standard 3 cyl lower unit that would be a little stronger and be a little smaller than the stock V4 case. I have also had some offers of help that would make cutting a mid myself and completing the project much easier!!

Mercazy

Viper Merc 200hp
12' Charger 60Hp OMC
Never Enough Boats!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next