It is currently April 28th, 2024, 4:50 am

Total width of exhaust port on omc 56

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 PostPosted: September 20th, 2016, 5:01 pm   
Team Member

phillnjack wrote:
please explain what your calling a stock outboard engine in the usa and Canada.

stock = all parts as available from OMC factory with 49ci powerhead

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: September 20th, 2016, 5:14 pm   

so does this mean no porting at all, no blue printing, no head work, no change in carbs,
no add ons of take offs from gearbox. no change of any parts per when it came from the factory
and available in dealership to the public as a every day a recreational engine ?

or is it a case of parts from the catalogue but I can re-shape them, port the motor, play around with different carbs as long as they are omc , blue print the internals, but just have it looking the same as per normal (fishing motor) ?

this is not meant as a dig, I am very curious as no engine that ever came here from the usa revved like that in the video.
they dont scream that much even with a tiny prop.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: September 20th, 2016, 7:54 pm   

phillnjack wrote:

this is not meant as a dig, I am very curious as no engine that ever came here from the usa revved like that in the video.

maybe you should start buying motors from Canada.. ;)

19' tempest picklefork 84 mod vpcarb 102mph

PostPosted: September 20th, 2016, 8:39 pm   
Team Member

Assuming the original poster did enlarge the ports, would he lose so much low end power that the motor would be a dog on his heavy boat?

Or would it be like comparing my old 150 XR4 to my 225 Promax? The PM has more power everywhere, from idle to redline.

PostPosted: September 20th, 2016, 10:03 pm   

David wrote:
Assuming the original poster did enlarge the ports, would he lose so much low end power that the motor would be a dog on his heavy boat?

Or would it be like comparing my old 150 XR4 to my 225 Promax? The PM has more power everywhere, from idle to redline.

i think that would be more like comparing a stock 49er to a mod 56er.. the xr4 and promax have different style of porting.. the fuel charge has to make a few bends in the xr4 where the promax would have a more direct charge into the cylinders. that being said i know nothing about omc..

19' tempest picklefork 84 mod vpcarb 102mph

PostPosted: September 21st, 2016, 8:34 am   
Team Member

phillnjack wrote:
so does this mean no porting at all, no blue printing, no head work, no change in carbs,
no add ons of take offs from gearbox. no change of any parts per when it came from the factory
and available in dealership to the public as a every day a recreational engine ?

or is it a case of parts from the catalogue but I can re-shape them, port the motor, play around with different carbs as long as they are omc , blue print the internals, but just have it looking the same as per normal (fishing motor) ?

bone stock fresh powerhead from OMC with factory high compression head and timing adjustment, thats it! Good boat selection with optimal rigging outweighs port alterations any day. This is what a prop planting Weinandt modified 56er with battery, fuel pump and tank mounted behind the motor sounds like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozJN-uwQIjE

PostPosted: September 21st, 2016, 9:18 am   

sorry to sound daft sheunick, but do you mean factory fresh fishing motor then just a skimmed head ?

and how do you put the tank behind the motor,

PostPosted: September 21st, 2016, 9:53 am   
Team Member

yes correct. see below

PostPosted: September 21st, 2016, 12:29 pm   

Wow that does look a very cool set up.
there is no way on earth you would be allowed a SST60 in stock class over here.
Under our rules that is a pure factory RACING motor and would be in its very own class.

This is where confusion between countries and classes must come into play.

When people say stock, we in the uk straight away are thinking a every day motor (fishing motor).
All the talk of a bone stock motor has two totally different meanings between the uk v usa and Canada.
stock here is a everyday motor and NO modifications AT ALL not even a different spark plug.
it has to be exactly the same as anyone else on the river, no performance parts, no high compression heads.
for example my oval port is a stock motor, if I skim the head its not stock any more, same with ports or fuel system.
even your fuel pump here would take me into a modified class.

But I do like the look of the rear tank and fuel pump etc..
looks a lot better than strapped in the boat, plus keeps everything way way back away from c.o.g.

did you make the plate the tank sits on, or is that something that all the zap cat type boats over there have for racing. ?
I cant believe how cool that looks.

PostPosted: September 21st, 2016, 12:54 pm   
Drag Racing Sponsor

phillnjack wrote:
Wow that does look a very cool set up.
there is no way on earth you would be allowed a SST60 in stock class over here.
Under our rules that is a pure factory RACING motor and would be in its very own class.

This is where confusion between countries and classes must come into play.

When people say stock, we in the uk straight away are thinking a every day motor (fishing motor).
All the talk of a bone stock motor has two totally different meanings between the uk v usa and Canada.
stock here is a everyday motor and NO modifications AT ALL not even a different spark plug.
it has to be exactly the same as anyone else on the river, no performance parts, no high compression heads.
for example my oval port is a stock motor, if I skim the head its not stock any more, same with ports or fuel system.
even your fuel pump here would take me into a modified class.

But I do like the look of the rear tank and fuel pump etc..
looks a lot better than strapped in the boat, plus keeps everything way way back away from c.o.g.

did you make the plate the tank sits on, or is that something that all the zap cat type boats over there have for racing. ?
I cant believe how cool that looks.

What was just pictured there is obviously an SST-60. The first link he showed you was a stock 70 or 75 or whatever 49.7 doing 70MPH... Try and keep up here!

19' Laser 380 Ray (Future Project)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next