It is currently May 3rd, 2024, 4:29 am

SST 60 tachometer harness?

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 PostPosted: September 8th, 2016, 2:10 pm   

I fired the sst 60 up and i do not have tach right now. The harness from my control box is okay, im gonna have to dive into the main harness to check for breaks

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: September 8th, 2016, 4:07 pm   

Have you checked for a voltage rise when motor is running ?
if no voltage rise it could be a blown rectifier.
I had this on mine and thought it was bad wiring, as soon as I saw it was not charging it fell into place.
no charge then no tacho .

just a thought.
also what can happen is a break in yellow and orange wires (mainly yellow) under the flywheel, I also suffered with this..
the wire is wrapped up nice and tight and then bent to go under the flywheel.
where over the years the wrapping gets a touch weak the wires touch on the flywheel and get broken/cut.
this was on a oval port but I have heard same things have happened to bridgeports.
Mine had the stator wires broke on both my engines, 1 was nice and easy to repair the other a pain the arse.
They get broke so close to the stator but you can repair with a bit of patience and lots of swearing.
A bit of solder and some epoxy resin and a bit of tape for good measure does a decent repair.
here is a couple of pics of stator wires that I found cut through.
hopefully yours is not like this, but if its not the rectifier then this is the next place to check.

2 different stators but same symptoms.

Image.

PostPosted: September 8th, 2016, 4:35 pm   

Havent looked at the stator yet but it did the same thing on my 70hp shortie too so im thinking its the main harness from the control box to the motor

PostPosted: September 8th, 2016, 7:44 pm   

Got it sorted out. Everything Hounddog mentioned was correct about the harness. I opened up the control box to bypass the neutral safety switch so i can start in gear and i found the screw for the purple wire for 12v to the tach had fallen out and was intermittently making contact.

All set for testing in the morning!

PostPosted: September 9th, 2016, 7:39 am   

That's nice.
it looks fast just sitting on the trailer.
I would love to get hold of something like that to play with.
hope it goes well.

PostPosted: September 9th, 2016, 8:03 am   
Team Member

that should wake the delta up!

PostPosted: September 9th, 2016, 8:24 am   

Haha yeah it definitely should, im heading out in about half an hour to test out! Will post gps results when finished!

PostPosted: September 9th, 2016, 8:52 am   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Jeeezus....that's going to be fun lol.

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: September 9th, 2016, 9:52 am   
Team Member

Yup, that's very nice,....word of caution, make sure boat has enuf structural reinforcement to take the power, stay together. Should be alright for light condition lake running, but if you're going to race or slap it like a bitch, ensure transom, keel, floor, strong box, seat are reinforced. Seen too many owners wanting 'light' to gain speed rattle apart, end up with long faces, empty wallets. Having recently scrutinized our Critch, well reinforced components mentioned above have held very well, despite recent 'stress test';.....beak needs a little work/polish.
Go easy taking engine to ragged edge; fat jets, reasonable compression(135-145), 91 premium, 30:1 for a while.
Be patient dialing in set up before you take engine to/past red line.
Post inaugural compression, plug color, piston wash, pics/video of you can; you have years testing/tweaking ahead to optimize performance.

PostPosted: September 9th, 2016, 10:20 am   
Team Member

Hydroid wrote:
Yup, that's very nice,....word of caution, make sure boat has enuf structural reinforcement to take the power, stay together. Should be alright for light condition lake running, but if you're going to race or slap it like a bitch, ensure transom, keel, floor, strong box, seat are reinforced. Seen too many owners wanting 'light' to gain speed rattle apart, end up with long faces, empty wallets. Having recently scrutinized our Critch, well reinforced components mentioned above have held very well, despite recent 'stress test';.....beak needs a little work/polish.
Go easy taking engine to ragged edge; fat jets, reasonable compression(135-145), 91 premium, 30:1 for a while.
Be patient dialing in set up before you take engine to/past red line.
Post inaugural compression, plug color, piston wash, pics/video of you can; you have years testing/tweaking ahead to optimize performance.

you forgot to remind him to add oil and remove pants! :mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next